26” 270 rifle for mule deer

If you shoot 300WM, 7RM, 300Wby adnauseam, all have 26" barrels and nobody cares. A .270Win is a 65K cartridge which has a governor on it with shorter barrels. Like @FEENIX has stated, his .270 AI demonstrates its potential to T. Browning realized its potential which is also why it comes in fast twist for heavier bullets at 26" brl. The problem is very few understand the potential of the .270 at 65K with longer barrel, fast twist for heavier higher BC bullets, a 700 LA or clone to maximize the magazine COAL to at least 3.67 along with appropriate freebore. It's not Grandpa's .270 when it is allowed to "breathe"!

@FEENIX and others who built the real .270 opened my eyes to its potential and built one couple years ago as well with incredible performance. A700LA with 0.290 freebore 1:8tw, ENORMOUSLY long 27" Light Palma barrel exceeded all expectations in performance. This build was topic here on LRH couple years ago as just a walk with me. The 170EOL @3100 no prob. The 156HH at 3200 no prob. The performance is there if you want it.

Look, it's just another cartridge that with new bullets and powder that gets updated. No different than changing twists on 300WM for heavier higher BC bullets.

But, If you don't like the .270, who cares?

Perfect! Another 10 pages before 2024!

This is foundational thinking to achieve High Performance in a build!

Consider a Wyatt's mag box up to 4.000" on a Rem 700, they come with the appropriate follower, there are several lengths.

Up to now I've hunted whitetails 5-100 yards in mid-western woods. About anything goes at those ranges (30-06 with iron sights for me). My new neighbor has asked me to go with him out west next year in search of Mule deer and possibly antelope. This would be more open country than i am used to (maybe 100-350 yards?) so am looking for a flatter shooting round / rifle. He tells me if he had to start out fresh he'd recommend first a 25-06, and second choice 270. BUT only with a 26-inch barrel. In my price range (say 800-1200) I dont see anything in 25-06, and only two in .270 with 26" barrel options: Browning X bolt speed LR and the Remington 700 Long Range.
Am I missing other options? If not which would be your choice.
First time poster so go easy…..and point me to existing threads if applicable.
Thanks
Tim in TN
270 browning hells canyon. I have the 7mm rem mag. Shoots very well. So if you're Going Out West, the target mule there and analog. I don't think you should be using a 270. You're gonna reach out farther than 300 yd on average

A 280 ackley with a 24 inch barrel. Will duplicate a 270 with a 26 inch. I own a 280 ackley and it duplicates the 270, but comes within a mere 100fps when compared to the 7mm rem mag, with comparable bullet weights.
With the right handloads, it will match 7 RM velocities in a 24" barrel. The 7 RM needs a 25 or 26" barrel to obtain full potential with slow burning powders.

No need for a 26" .270 for western mule deer and pronghorn.

My daughter kills everything with her 22" 6.5SLR (similar to a .260 Rem) pushing 130 OTMs @ 2900fps. Pronghorn at 331, 381, 391, 771. Mule deer at 454, 532, 637. I have killed a couple too @ 260 & 589 with it.
A good 6CM, 25CM, 6.5CM,
260 Rem, etc will easily get you to 500+.
A 6.5PRC would be even better, and get you more reach.

Nothing wrong with a .270 Win. But definitely not needed for mule deer and pronghorn.
A fast twist .25-06 Rem (like 1:7.5 to 1:8") to push the 133, would be a wicked muley/pronghorn rifle. But I don't know if any factory rifles come in a fast twist, just the old school 1:10". Still works great for the 115 VLD, and you can get them cooking pretty good. It would be a fine 500 yard deer round.

I'm a lifetime 270 person with out to 29 inch barrels and 26 inch 25-06. 133 grain .257 or heavies in a 277 just cause blow throughs with little or no mushrooming. High sectional density combines with slower MV don't work well. You has to stay above the bullets min designed feet per second. Some of the modern designed bullets have made some improvements.

I jumped on the 169.5 - 190 grain .277 VLD band wagon and practised at 600 yards for mule deer hunting and the majority of deer always seem to be sub 200 yards where I experienced blow throughs. I went back to lighter bullets in both calibers and end up with DRT!

Last edited:
Thank you to all who've replied. Lots of good stuff for me to consider and I appreciate your suggestions. My couple biggest take-aways are there are a variety of calibers that will do the job, a 26" may be nice but not necessary, and I need to get well-practiced with what I end up with. Along those lines I'm fortunate to live quite close to a 500-yard range so I'll take that recommendation to heart.

I'll find a rifle in January, and will get to know it well between then and October.
Have a happy and safe New Year folks.
Heck, find yourself a Tikka in .308, put some good glass on it and go forth and slay!

Tikka seems to be the proverbial "easy button", and the .308 will do anything that needs doing!

L 😇 L! The simple answer is that he can. We all have different preferences and intended purposes. I have rifles with barrel lengths from 18" to 30" and shotguns from 20" to 40." In 2012, I built my .270 AI with a 30" LilJa 3G 1:8" #6 precisely to propel the 165/175 Matrix VLDs, and now the Berger 170s. I reached nearly 3100 FPS with the 175s and H4831SCs (people are claiming an additional 100 FPS with RL-26), but with pressure signs, the group started opening up. I settle for 2996 FPS. BTW, it is also threaded to accept my suppressor. 🤣
View attachment 527459

Tim,
Welcome to LRH, and enjoy! Congrats on an excellent choice of chambering and brand. As you have already discovered, open/western and long-range hunting differs from what you are accustomed to. My advice is to take your time and enjoy the learning process, and of course, practice, practice, practice. Long-range hunting does not happen overnight. Enjoy your new rig, and keep us all posted. Cheers!

Ed

Well aware. We like what we like and one man's trash is another man's treasure. Yep. You can go to a faster twist and longer barrel on a 270 and make it come alive with heavier high BC bullets. I almost took that route. When I order another barrel for my 6.5-06 or 6.5-06 AI it will be in 27 or 28 inch Sendero profile. I have the 26" Sendero profile now. I've even considered MTU profile fluted. Or light to medium Palma. I don't have to tote a gun far but I like to be able to reach out far with it. A suppressor may be in the cards for my depredation gun even though I hate the thought of getting one because of the Mother May I form and tax stamp but it would help us to not alarm the folks living in close proximity to where we do our work. We always speak to them and let them know what will be going on beforehand but it would be nice if they didn't hear a shot at all.
I was just speaking more of my thoughts on the OPs needs and required distance.

I agree with Marksman1941, Put a scope on the 30-06 say 4-12 power with a 40 or 50mm with a good ranging reticle. Use a 165 -175 grain bullet and you will good for anything you encounter. I have taken antelope and mule deer with a 308, 270, 30-06, in Montana and your 30-06 will shoot flat and pack more than enough energy to flatten antelope and mule deer when you put the bullet in right place. Sight in at 250 yds and the holdovers will be easy if you don't use a ranging reticle scope.

I agree with Marksman1941, Put a scope on the 30-06 say 4-12 power with a 40 or 50mm with a good ranging reticle. Use a 165 -175 grain bullet and you will good for anything you encounter. I have taken antelope and mule deer with a 308, 270, 30-06, in Montana and your 30-06 will shoot flat and pack more than enough energy to flatten antelope and mule deer when you put the bullet in right place. Sight in at 250 yds and the holdovers will be easy if you don't use a ranging reticle scope.
See post #65

From the OP
An update - wont leave you folks (especially JJMP) hanging. First off my iron-sighted 30-06 is now my son's - 2000 miles away so I'm starting fresh. If I still had it I do like some of your ideas on building off that 7400.
I read the first three pages of comments to my original post this AM and they got me off the 26" barrel track. Started poking around on-line for .270's in 24" and discovered a CZ 600 American in 24"/270 for a good price at XudsGunshop.com (the x replaces another letter of the alphabet in case LRH has rules about advertising). Plus CZ has a rebate for same that ends last day of the year.
So I ordered one and will wait a week or so for the check to clear and shipping. Will be interesting to have a first-year edition of a new product-hope it turns out. I decided to take a chance just because my wife has about 4000 rounds thru her CZ-75 handgun and loves it. Hopefully the CZ handgun reliability translates to rifles as well
I am now following your advice and looking into range finders, scopes (i'm discovering interesting things like first vs second optical plane, BDC reticles vs CDS knobs etc). Also will order a set of dies for my Rockchucker and add .270 to my hand loading capabilitiies.

Thanks everyone for the welcomes and the advice. Of the forums I've joined this is right up there. Maybe neck and neck with the S&W forum IMHO….I do like old revolvers.

Happy new years and good luck in the field in 2024.
Tim in TN

Last edited:
Up to now I've hunted whitetails 5-100 yards in mid-western woods. About anything goes at those ranges (30-06 with iron sights for me). My new neighbor has asked me to go with him out west next year in search of Mule deer and possibly antelope. This would be more open country than i am used to (maybe 100-350 yards?) so am looking for a flatter shooting round / rifle. He tells me if he had to start out fresh he'd recommend first a 25-06, and second choice 270. BUT only with a 26-inch barrel. In my price range (say 800-1200) I dont see anything in 25-06, and only two in .270 with 26" barrel options: Browning X bolt speed LR and the Remington 700 Long Range.
Am I missing other options? If not which would be your choice.
First time poster so go easy…..and point me to existing threads if applicable.
Thanks
Tim in TN
I'm not a huge .06 fan BUT THE US Military counted on it for years. It's a fine cartridge and plenty capable out to 500+ yards with a good scope and good dope. Now with that being said I'm always looking for another excuse to purchase another rifle. Good luck