Suitable youth rifle for a Mule Deer hunt?

jd126

I'll be taking my 13 year old on a mule deer hunt that she was drawn for and I'm looking for ideas on a good cartridge that is suitable for the job. It says in the hunt guide that most shots will be 200 yards or further. I have a 6.5 Grendel for her to whitetail hunt with. Though it has done well for close range whitetail, I don't feel it is a good choice for Mule deer at the suggested ranges. The other two options I have available is a 14lb match rifle in 6mm Creedmoor or a 300wsm. I'm unsure that a 100-110gr 6mm is enough and personally think the 300wsm will be a bit much recoil. The two cartridges that come to mind that I think would be a good middle of the road cartridge for this application would be the 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 PRC. It wouldn't take much for me to spin up another barrel and swap it out ...accept for the fact that I don't have a barrel laying around. Maybe I can get by with what I have or maybe I need to buy a barrel? Looking for some ideas and opinions. Also to add, I have never hunted Mule deer so it will be a new adventure for the both of us. Thanks ahead of time for any tips, tricks & advice

Last edited:
Is your Grendel an AR platform or bolt gun? What length barrel? Bullet weight and length can be hindered in an AR.

Is your Grendel an AR platform or bolt gun? What length barrel? Bullet weight and length can be hindered in an AR.

I have both. The AR has a 22" barrel and the bolt action has a 20" barrel. They both shoot the 123gr very well with speeds around 2575 fps.

6.5cm or prc, 7-08, 280r, 260r, 284w, 6.5-284, 25-06, 308, 30-06, 270w, 243, the list goes on and on and on--most important factors would be actual distance (you said 200+, how far is +) good shot placement and shooter capability--most any centerfire cartridge is capable out to 3-400y

My 12yo daughter is just starting on hunting this year-- shes a little recoil sensitive she shoots a braked 6.5cm--the rifle is capable of 600yard kills, but I can honestly say she is not --I'm realistic and limit her to 150-200 yards depending on weather conditions---some young shooters are much more advanced with more practice than her

Last edited:
The Mulies I have shot just seemed to die easier than Whitetails. Whatever she has been successful with on Whitetails will work fine for Mule Deer. Just keep the ranges the same and she will be fine. She will most likely be more comfortable shooting a rifle she is already familiar with and has confidence in.

I say 243. I'm not sure why you would worry about 6mm bullets from 100 grains and up. 95 grain Berger hunting bullets work excellent for mule deer. If you really do want something a touch bigger then 25-06 is next with 115 Berger's. Either one will kill mule deer lightning dead.

That's why I was asking, I was unsure if the .243 - 6mm was good for the job. I understand, as always, shot placement is the key. I was looking into the 103 ELD-X unless I find something else to try. The hunt is in January so we have a little time to figure it all out.

if you can spin up another barrel, why not? everybody always needs another reason to branch out. maybe the PRC in the 300wsm platform with a decent brake would be good. plenty of energy and flat shooting. load some 130-140s fast and it'll be perfect. and 6.5 barrels aren't necessarily hard to come by

That's why I was asking, I was unsure if the .243 - 6mm was good for the job. I understand, as always, shot placement is the key. I was looking into the 103 ELD-X unless I find something else to try. The hunt is in January so we have a little time to figure it all out.

Yup 6mm will do it for sure. I can't comment on the 103 hornady though.

If you are getting 2575 with 123g bullets you should get high 2400's with a good 130g. Try 130g Sierra Game King or Swift Scirocco. If she can shoot that Grendel well she should be able to double lung a muley out to 400 yds or so. Make sure she gets plenty of practice and picks her shots well.

I'll be taking my 13 year old on a mule deer hunt that she was drawn for and I'm looking for ideas on a good cartridge that is suitable for the job. It says in the hunt guide that most shots will be 200 yards or further. I have a 6.5 Grendel for her to whitetail hunt with. Though it has done well for close range whitetail, I don't feel it is a good choice for Mule deer at the suggested ranges. The other two options I have available is a 14lb match rifle in 6mm Creedmoor or a 300wsm. I'm unsure that a 100-110gr 6mm is enough and personally think the 300wsm will be a bit much recoil. The two cartridges that come to mind that I think would be a good middle of the road cartridge for this application would be the 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 PRC. It wouldn't take much for me to spin up another barrel and swap it out ...accept for the fact that I don't have a barrel laying around. Maybe I can get by with what I have or maybe I need to buy a barrel? Looking for some ideas and opinions. Also to add, I have never hunted Mule deer so it will be a new adventure for the both of us. Thanks ahead of time for any tips, tricks & advice

Mule deer will fall to the same cartridges as whitetail. I wouldnt hesitate to use a 6.5 grendel or a 6mm creedmoor. We have killed several with a 223 out to 400 yards and have used 243's and 6mm creedmoors out to 750. The 108gr eldm or the 105gr berger knock the wind out of them.

not starting an ethics debate, but I'd recommend leaning toward the higher side of things for leeway. Bad shots are just that, and you can do everything to prevent them. But, they do happen, and with smaller, slower and less powerful cartridges they are more likely to spoil a hunt. you have the time and can practice. You have the skill to rebarrel a rifle on your own. Why not choose a tool that's better suited to the job rather than making do with something you're not sure will work. For a young beginning hunter, I'd start at 6.5 for a minimum, and the creedmoor is as easy as it gets in that area.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.