26” 270 rifle for mule deer

Up to now I've hunted whitetails 5-100 yards in mid-western woods. About anything goes at those ranges (30-06 with iron sights for me). My new neighbor has asked me to go with him out west next year in search of Mule deer and possibly antelope. This would be more open country than i am used to (maybe 100-350 yards?) so am looking for a flatter shooting round / rifle. He tells me if he had to start out fresh he'd recommend first a 25-06, and second choice 270. BUT only with a 26-inch barrel. In my price range (say 800-1200) I dont see anything in 25-06, and only two in .270 with 26" barrel options: Browning X bolt speed LR and the Remington 700 Long Range.
Am I missing other options? If not which would be your choice.
First time poster so go easy…..and point me to existing threads if applicable.
Thanks
Tim in TN

Welcome to the forum!

Put a scope on your 30-06 and leave it be. Shoots plenty flat enough with a decent load if you know your dope (which isn't hard to verify). There's zero need for a 26" 270, unless you just want an excuse to buy a new gun. .06 is just fine for 350 and in. Beyond 400-500 I would look larger, but for your needs you're already set. Better to stick with the rifle you're used to and know.

Just want to clarify. Is he saying he wont take you unless it has a 26" barrel, or are you saying you want a 26". If he said you have to buy a new rifle in 25-06 or 270 with a 26" barrel I would tell him to pack sand no thanks. If you want a new rifle with a 26" barrel then get the Browning and be done. If you just want to go take your 06 and kill any deer or antelope easily past 500yds.

Thank you for the quick responses, that was fast.
To clarify I gave my Remington 7400 to my son when I retired and moved to TN. So no rifles in my safe currently other than a M1 carbine, a Garand and a 1903 A3 (and I'm not putting scopes on them!)
My neighbor is easy going - he just offered up his opinion on what he'd do but I'm sure whatever I bring along he'd be okay with. I hear a vote for the browning, and a recommendation to look at the 6.5 caliber.
Thanks Gents.

Or sage the money in a new rifle put a swfa scope and take the rest of the money you saved and spend time or shooting in different positions, off back packs/shooting sticks, tripod, bipod, shoot in the wind find a place to shoot 3-500 yards. Learn what wind does to your rifle. By no means am I am 06 fan but I'd rather have someone who knows their rifle inside and out that have some one buy a new rifle and not know what/how to shoot at 300 yards in a 15-18 mph wind

Thank you for the quick responses, that was fast.
To clarify I gave my Remington 7400 to my son when I retired and moved to TN. So no rifles in my safe currently other than a M1 carbine, a Garand and a 1903 A3 (and I'm not putting scopes on them!)
My neighbor is easy going - he just offered up his opinion on what he'd do but I'm sure whatever I bring along he'd be okay with. I hear a vote for the browning, and a recommendation to look at the 6.5 caliber.
Thanks Gents.
26" is a long, unwieldy barrel for most applications (at least in my neck of the woods). If you've gotta buy a new rifle, I would look at a 6 or 6.5 creedmoor in a 22" barrel. Plenty of oomph, still a packable and maneuverable rifle.

No need for a 26" .270 for western mule deer and pronghorn.

My daughter kills everything with her 22" 6.5SLR (similar to a .260 Rem) pushing 130 OTMs @ 2900fps. Pronghorn at 331, 381, 391, 771. Mule deer at 454, 532, 637. I have killed a couple too @ 260 & 589 with it.
A good 6CM, 25CM, 6.5CM,
260 Rem, etc will easily get you to 500+.
A 6.5PRC would be even better, and get you more reach.

Nothing wrong with a .270 Win. But definitely not needed for mule deer and pronghorn.
A fast twist .25-06 Rem (like 1:7.5 to 1:8") to push the 133, would be a wicked muley/pronghorn rifle. But I don't know if any factory rifles come in a fast twist, just the old school 1:10". Still works great for the 115 VLD, and you can get them cooking pretty good. It would be a fine 500 yard deer round.

Hornady 270 WIN 140 SST Superformance 3190 fps MV out of 24"barrel, you don't need 26" barrel. 50 plus years hunting out west, Utah, AZ, CO, Wyoming for deer and elk and longest shot so far 370 yards on bull elk with 30-06 using 6X scope. You do not need a 25-06 or a 26" barreled 270. You need practice and understanding of your rifles performance out to 500 yards.

First Timothy……Welcome from North Central Wyoming!

For the ranges mentioned…….scope your 06 and go hunt'n. If ya go with a 270 Win. 24" is plenty…..26" doesn't gain you much and just adds unnecessary length! My wife has killed a lot of stuff, Mule Deer, Antelope, elk, bear, and a Big Horn Sheep with a 270 Win.

The 25-06 is a pretty good little round, but in my opinion the 270 and 06 are more versatile and better suited for larger game! That said, personally I would go 30-06……I have zero love for the 270 Win.

I'll let others that are more knowledgeable about newer rifles on the newer rifles available within you price range!

Good luck with your decision and your future hunt! memtb

Last edited: