Suitable youth rifle for a Mule Deer hunt?

Though I'd like larger bore cartridges many have taken mule deer with 243 win's so I can't see how your 6mm CM with a heavy bullet couldn't do the job. Though I'd vote for a 308 win it really boils down to what she can shoot well. Zeroed at 200 yards it looks like a Berger 105gr Match Hunting at 3000 fps would have around a 6 inch drop at 300 yards. 2.5" inch drop at 250 yards so most likely she could just aim dead on depending on the range of the buck.

Sure has been a lot of varying opinions. If you look at the entire picture of these opinions, it sounds like any caliber will work. Most importantly is a fitting rifle and practice. Thanks for all of the recommendations and ideas.
Bingo! Fitting would be huge. I've shot many Ultra Mags that fit me well and they weren't a big deal. Then I shot a poorly fitting 30-06 with standard 180 gr load. That really hurt.

My gosh, it's too bad the .270 Winchester fell off the edge of the earth with the advent of the Creedmoor...it would have been perfect for this. Shoots a heck of a lot flatter than a Creedmoor and has less recoil than a PRC. It use to could be had for less than you'd spend on "spinning up" a new barrel in a superbly accurate package, such as Ruger American, or Browning AB3 (some of these had a 26" barrels!) A savvy handloader could run these up to 3150 - 3200 f/s without stretching the web with 130 grain Accubonds or similar. And the .270 is a HECK of alot easier to get to print sub-1/2MOA than the 3 or 4 Creedmoors and the 1 PRC I've had the pleasure of trying out.

If dad is dead set on a .264 bore and just needs an excuse to make a new barrel/rifle, then please consider the 6.5-.284 Norma above the 2 mentioned cartridges for this young lady. Shoots just as flat at hunting ranges as the 270, inherently easy to load accurately, and can achieve velocities equaling the 270 with less powder and 120-grain-ish bullets, which your daughter will thank you for in sparing her every little bit of recoil. Nothing wrong with the .25-06 and 115 grain Ballistic Silvertips, either. The bullet doesn'tvhave to be named Berger to kill something. 3200 fps in the 6.5-284 is easy with a 120 grain Ballistic Tip with good BC. 3250 is easy with a 24" 25-06 with the 115 gr BST, or 3200 with the 110gr Accubond. Both will kick much less than a PRC and shoot a heckbof a lot flatter AT NORMAL HUNTING RANGES (out to 500 yards) than ANY Creedmoor with ANY bullet you want to stuff down it's little throat. And the old 270 is MUCH flatter with it's 130gr bullet than ANY Creedmoor with ANY bullet out to 500yds...If you can find a 270 in the garbage dump somewhere after it was discarded with the introduction of the Creedmoor. MUCH higher quality brass available for any of these choices compared to the PRC. That is the framework and base of a super-accurate handload!! Something to consider!

True story: Big NW Nevada mulie succumbs to 120gr Ballistic Tip fired from a Savage 111 with 26" barrel and 1:8 twist with muzzle velocity of 3300 f/s at a distance of 200 yards on a slow run. Stumbled 2 steps on it's way to the ground with a center mass chest hit. (Yes, 3300 f/s was WAY too hot to be running that round, but the rifle liked it- Sub-1/2MOA groups @100, and obviously not too bad at 200. No recoil, but I had a factory brake and an 8.6 lb gun before Minox 50mm 15x 30mm scope.)

FYI, IF you decide to ignore good advice and build a Creedmoor, at least consider the 120gr Ballistic Tip. I have used it to drop large Southern 8pts in their tracks from an ultralight 6.5x47L with 20" barrel and muzzle velocity more like 2900. 270 130gr Ballistic Tip or BST or Accubond will do the same thing.

Best of luck to the lucky young lady!

Hi .300 Dakota, I am still one of the hold outs for the .270 Win. I have three rifles in .270 Win , and .270 Weatherby Mag , and I have been hand loading for those rifles for over 50 Years . My # 1 go to Deer Rifle is my Weatherby Ultralight, with a 2.5 X 8 Leupold Vari X 3. Love a 130 Grain Nosler B/T Ballistic Tip at 3050 Fps Muz. vel . I suggested the .243 for the child mentioned , with a correctly modified and properly fitted stock, for the sake of having a pleasant to carry and shoot rifle, that actually fits , in a mild recoiling caliber, adequate to take deer at 250 Yards. Lenny

For most mule deer, I use 243 or 270 (my first choice)...don't have a 6.5 but if I did I would get the 6.5 PRC ( from what I've been reading).
Been having LOTS of trouble getting my PRC to group. Tried everything...just about. It is a custom on a Winchester 70 push feed action with a Bartlein Barrel. Think the issue is in the action. I had it built into a 300 RCM before this with a Mullerworks barrel. I managed a group or two in the .8s then, but 3 - 5" groups as a factory 7mm WSM. It was trued, but seems to have some slop. Can't necessarily blame a cartridge for this. 3 barrels and sub-par results with the common thread being the action...
My major gripe with the PRC is that there is only Hornady brass available and it's far from perfect.

I'd suggest almost any cartridge based on the .308 case or similar or 7x57 in .243" to .308".

My girls have used my .257 Roberts with +P loads to take their first big game. A 6.5 CM would be even better given the wider variety of ammo available and better long range ballistics. That is probably where I would start and stop looking.

Fit is most important. That being said if you need a shorter stock try the Boyd's all in one stock it is adjustable length of pull adjustable comb plus a lot of other options

Maybe try loading up some 100 grain Nosler BT hunting bullets? I've been using them exclusively in my grendel for hog hunting and they work great. Have not shot them over 150 yards but seem to work well for me.

Im with you Mr Lenny, tried and true 270 grew up with it and still doing things that im was doing before all the new stuff was here not that i dont like to take a chance.

Last hunting season myself and my 13 year old and 15 year olds all took mulleys with my 6.5 grendal in the ar platform. shooting 123 elds all were around 150 to 275 yard and all were dry. I also took a nice bull at 100 yards that ran about 15 yards and dropped. practice and being comfortable with the rifle is key.

has anyone suggested the 260 Remington yet? a 6.5 that seems to been lost in the shuffle. I do not like the cartridge but it certainly will do the job at 250 to 350 yards. My 270 WSM with a 140 grain slug is gentle, fast, and will hammer a deer without hesitation. I also have a Win 70 featherweight carbine in 270 Win that does a wonderful job on the deer from 50 to 250 yards. only limiting factor is the 2-7X32MM lightweight scope. the whole package loaded is like 5 pounds 12 ounces.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.