Suitable youth rifle for a Mule Deer hunt?

A .243 with 95 or 100 gr. Partitions, a 7mm-08 or, if she can handle it, a 270 with 130 Partitions. The 270 has a lot of muzzle blast but recoil isn't actually that bad. Make sure the stock fits her and she'll have a rifle that will last her a lifetime.
Cheers,
crkckr

That's why I was asking, I was unsure if the .243 - 6mm was good for the job. I understand, as always, shot placement is the key. I was looking into the 103 ELD-X unless I find something else to try. The hunt is in January so we have a little time to figure it all out.
Your 6 Creedmoor with 103 eldx will be plenty

Take her and the Grendel out to places where one ca shoot over the distances (maybe even a tad further) recommended by your guide.

Set up the classic 10-inch dinner plate at random distances. Have her take one shot at each distance, check, mark and record hits, and repeat.

The distance where her first round hit rate drops to leas tha. two hits out of three tries should be viewed as her personal maximum for that rifle and load combination.

If that personal max range is too short, try again with a different load or rifle.

1st choice is 7mm-08 which is a necked down 308 to 284. Lower recoil and solid round with good BC.

2nd choice would be 6.5 CM

My 12 year old with his grandfather's 243 and a whitetail killed at about 200 yards. Same gun killed several mule deer in the hands of his grandfather.
H-8980.JPG

My gosh, it's too bad the .270 Winchester fell off the edge of the earth with the advent of the Creedmoor...it would have been perfect for this. Shoots a heck of a lot flatter than a Creedmoor and has less recoil than a PRC. It use to could be had for less than you'd spend on "spinning up" a new barrel in a superbly accurate package, such as Ruger American, or Browning AB3 (some of these had a 26" barrels!) A savvy handloader could run these up to 3150 - 3200 f/s without stretching the web with 130 grain Accubonds or similar. And the .270 is a HECK of alot easier to get to print sub-1/2MOA than the 3 or 4 Creedmoors and the 1 PRC I've had the pleasure of trying out.

If dad is dead set on a .264 bore and just needs an excuse to make a new barrel/rifle, then please consider the 6.5-.284 Norma above the 2 mentioned cartridges for this young lady. Shoots just as flat at hunting ranges as the 270, inherently easy to load accurately, and can achieve velocities equaling the 270 with less powder and 120-grain-ish bullets, which your daughter will thank you for in sparing her every little bit of recoil. Nothing wrong with the .25-06 and 115 grain Ballistic Silvertips, either. The bullet doesn'tvhave to be named Berger to kill something. 3200 fps in the 6.5-284 is easy with a 120 grain Ballistic Tip with good BC. 3250 is easy with a 24" 25-06 with the 115 gr BST, or 3200 with the 110gr Accubond. Both will kick much less than a PRC and shoot a heckbof a lot flatter AT NORMAL HUNTING RANGES (out to 500 yards) than ANY Creedmoor with ANY bullet you want to stuff down it's little throat. And the old 270 is MUCH flatter with it's 130gr bullet than ANY Creedmoor with ANY bullet out to 500yds...If you can find a 270 in the garbage dump somewhere after it was discarded with the introduction of the Creedmoor. MUCH higher quality brass available for any of these choices compared to the PRC. That is the framework and base of a super-accurate handload!! Something to consider!

True story: Big NW Nevada mulie succumbs to 120gr Ballistic Tip fired from a Savage 111 with 26" barrel and 1:8 twist with muzzle velocity of 3300 f/s at a distance of 200 yards on a slow run. Stumbled 2 steps on it's way to the ground with a center mass chest hit. (Yes, 3300 f/s was WAY too hot to be running that round, but the rifle liked it- Sub-1/2MOA groups @100, and obviously not too bad at 200. No recoil, but I had a factory brake and an 8.6 lb gun before Minox 50mm 15x 30mm scope.)

FYI, IF you decide to ignore good advice and build a Creedmoor, at least consider the 120gr Ballistic Tip. I have used it to drop large Southern 8pts in their tracks from an ultralight 6.5x47L with 20" barrel and muzzle velocity more like 2900. 270 130gr Ballistic Tip or BST or Accubond will do the same thing.

Best of luck to the lucky young lady!

For $20 to $30 I would suggest a real nice recoil pad and let her try 300 wsm. My 308 and 300 wsm which I bought later have about the same recoil. With a soft recoil pad my 16 yr old has shot a few whitetail and never complained.

I'll be taking my 13 year old on a mule deer hunt that she was drawn for and I'm looking for ideas on a good cartridge that is suitable for the job. It says in the hunt guide that most shots will be 200 yards or further. I have a 6.5 Grendel for her to whitetail hunt with. Though it has done well for close range whitetail, I don't feel it is a good choice for Mule deer at the suggested ranges. The other two options I have available is a 14lb match rifle in 6mm Creedmoor or a 300wsm. I'm unsure that a 100-110gr 6mm is enough and personally think the 300wsm will be a bit much recoil. The two cartridges that come to mind that I think would be a good middle of the road cartridge for this application would be the 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 PRC. It wouldn't take much for me to spin up another barrel and swap it out ...accept for the fact that I don't have a barrel laying around. Maybe I can get by with what I have or maybe I need to buy a barrel? Looking for some ideas and opinions. Also to add, I have never hunted Mule deer so it will be a new adventure for the both of us. Thanks ahead of time for any tips, tricks & advice
My choice for my kids was a 260 rem with 130 barnes ttsx. Better penetration from angling shots than berger, although they work well on broadside shots, and shoot ,5 min in the kimber they all used. My daughter shot a big zebra stallion at 170 yds with that combo, through both shoulders , lungs, and heart. Made it about 30 yds.

I'll be taking my 13 year old on a mule deer hunt that she was drawn for and I'm looking for ideas on a good cartridge that is suitable for the job. It says in the hunt guide that most shots will be 200 yards or further. I have a 6.5 Grendel for her to whitetail hunt with. Though it has done well for close range whitetail, I don't feel it is a good choice for Mule deer at the suggested ranges. The other two options I have available is a 14lb match rifle in 6mm Creedmoor or a 300wsm. I'm unsure that a 100-110gr 6mm is enough and personally think the 300wsm will be a bit much recoil. The two cartridges that come to mind that I think would be a good middle of the road cartridge for this application would be the 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 PRC. It wouldn't take much for me to spin up another barrel and swap it out ...accept for the fact that I don't have a barrel laying around. Maybe I can get by with what I have or maybe I need to buy a barrel? Looking for some ideas and opinions. Also to add, I have never hunted Mule deer so it will be a new adventure for the both of us. Thanks ahead of time for any tips, tricks & advice
Mule deer aren't a lot bigger than Whitetail. They can be taken cleanly with a .243 using a 100gr bullet, a 257 Roberts, or a 6.5 Creedmoor/260 Remington using 130grain bullet out to 400 yards or so. Just need to make sure of bullet placement.

If you need a short action cartridge, then I'd go with a 7-08 or a 308. Pretty easy to find ammo for either one should the need arise and recoil isn't bad with either one.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.