26” 270 rifle for mule deer

I have used my 270 Win for the past 40 years could not tell you how many WT/Mule deer I have taken with it. Even a few elk. I started using 140 grain cup & core bullets but now prefer the Barns 140 TSX/TTSX.

It'sa fun fun gun to shoot!

I must be an only child……I want nothing longer than 24", and nothing "hanging" on the end of my rifle barrel! 😉 memtb
Agree with this totally! Don't use my rifle to pole vault over creeks! I like a rifle to be handy and easy to carry. Shorter barrels are stiffer and the velocity loss for a couple of inches is less than 100 fps.

An update - wont leave you folks (especially JJMP) hanging. First off my iron-sighted 30-06 is now my son's - 2000 miles away so I'm starting fresh. If I still had it I do like some of your ideas on building off that 7400.
I read the first three pages of comments to my original post this AM and they got me off the 26" barrel track. Started poking around on-line for .270's in 24" and discovered a CZ 600 American in 24"/270 for a good price at XudsGunshop.com (the x replaces another letter of the alphabet in case LRH has rules about advertising). Plus CZ has a rebate for same that ends last day of the year.
So I ordered one and will wait a week or so for the check to clear and shipping. Will be interesting to have a first-year edition of a new product-hope it turns out. I decided to take a chance just because my wife has about 4000 rounds thru her CZ-75 handgun and loves it. Hopefully the CZ handgun reliability translates to rifles as well
I am now following your advice and looking into range finders, scopes (i'm discovering interesting things like first vs second optical plane, BDC reticles vs CDS knobs etc). Also will order a set of dies for my Rockchucker and add .270 to my hand loading capabilitiies.

Thanks everyone for the welcomes and the advice. Of the forums I've joined this is right up there. Maybe neck and neck with the S&W forum IMHO….I do like old revolvers.

Happy new years and good luck in the field in 2024.
Tim in TN
Heck of a good choice! Let us know if you want opinions on scopes, cause we're full of those too 😂

I really love both my .270 Win Weatherby Ultralight 24 inch barrel, and my 270 Weatherby Mag, Mark V 26 inch Bbl. For me these are both DEER RIFLES. The 270 Win used on 90 percent of my Whitetail hunts, and the 270 Weatherby Mag comes out when the outfitter says "shots over 300 yards." ( Wyoming /Colo) ,or I go to the shooting school in Virginia where you know you will be hitting steel targets at 1000 or 1100 yards. Both rifles shoot 130 Grn. ballistic tips and 150 Grn Nosler ABLR's really well. Both rifle have loads made with IMR 4350 and H 4831SC. No unicorn powders needed for me to get very good groups and drop deer. Both rifles have taken Whitetail, the 270 Mag has also taken Antelope , Mule Deer and one small Elk. For future elk hunts I have a 300 Weatherby Mag ready and waiting for the opportunity . I made a custom 270 Win with a 29 inch heavy barrel from Hart, with a super long throat, and an 8 twist. I may bring this to the shooting school next year, just for fun. I will make up a load for the 160 Grn Nosler, or the 170 Grn Berger. The G1 BC on both bullets look very respectable. Lots of fun things to do with a .270, but first and foremost, they take deer. I'm going to try to never use the word "Best'!! I would like to simply say both rifles each do exactly what they were designed to do, extremely well. By the way, I love my short 20 inch 30 -06 too. Thats a Penn woods and farm rifle. 40 yards into the woods or 150 yards across a pasture, I use that . Have fun Buddy

Thats an interesting option, odd that the 7prc has 22" barrel but the 6.5prc has a 24". They do that with the 280AI too, 22" barrel when about every other manufacturer seems to offer 24". For $850 I may look for one of these.
So I've been shooting for a long time. Not gonna throw number out because that will turn into an ego battle. I've hunted with an 18" 308 up to 26" 6.5CM, 300WSM, and 300 SAUM. For me it boils down to burn rate. I had a load using 4064 and 200grn ELD-X in my 308 that would carry enough energy to kill Elk to 350yds. In my 18" that was an avg of 2350fps +\-. I'm building a 6.5CM using 107 and 120 grain bullets in a 16.5" barrel that will likely be used for Whitetail.

Why so short? PA woods and the use of a Silencer Central Banish 30 suppressor. I plan to use a faster powder that will ensure a complete burn in the short barrel with a lighter bullet.Just crunching the numbers, it's showing enough energy using Applied Ballistic app to 400-500yds with the 107 and another 150yds using the 120. That would be plenty for both Mule Deer and Speed Goats.

To each his own. I fall in the category that for hunting, I like to keep the rifle compact. As for the Apex Hunter from Savage. The scope it comes with isn't terrible and Vortex has a good name and customer support. When you get a bit more coin, upgrade the optic.

I'm a big believer that less recoil makes it easier to shoot well. My friend's 11 year old gramdson just killed a cow elk with a heart shot at 500 yards with a 6.5 Creedmoor. Light recoil and lots of ammo available because it is so popular. Ammo as cheap as $27/box.

Buy some light weight folding shooting sticks, and learn to shoot with them. Here in NM, it is rare to be able to shoot prone. Too much grass. I can almost always sit behind my shooting sticks and take the shot. I scruch up and put the butt of the rifle on my knee, which makes the setup rock solid. I have tripod shooting sticks too, which are easier to shoot from, but harder to set up quickly. Definitely get a range finder. Run your ballistics tables and verify at the range. I tape a cheat sheet on my stock.

I use a homemade Boonie Packer Safari Sling on my rifle. I've found it is the most comfortable way to carry a rifle, and it allows you to make a quick shot if necessary.

You'll generally do more walking out west, so getting in shape is highly recommended. Walking with a pack is the best thing I've found. I live at 5000 ft. and going to even 8,000 is very noticable. Do some research on high altitude sickness. Take a day or two to acclimate, drink lots of water, limit coffee and alcohol.

Sounds like an adventure.

26" barrel arrrrr why? We're getting 3,200 fps with 130's and with a shorter barrel that's more than enough for the ranges you're talking about.
Exactly, and 3000fps with the 140s and 145s in a package that unless you choose something ultra lite will not kick you from under your hat. And has energy to spare
L 😇 L! The simple answer is that he can. We all have different preferences and intended purposes. I have rifles with barrel lengths from 18" to 30" and shotguns from 20" to 40." In 2012, I built my .270 AI with a 30" LilJa 3G 1:8" #6 precisely to propel the 165/175 Matrix VLDs, and now the Berger 170s. I reached nearly 3100 FPS with the 175s and H4831SCs (people are claiming an additional 100 FPS with RL-26), but with pressure signs, the group started opening up. I settle for 2996 FPS. BTW, it is also threaded to accept my suppressor. 🤣
.270 AI atop the mountain.jpg

Started poking around on-line for .270's in 24" and discovered a CZ 600 American in 24"/270 for a good price at XudsGunshop.com (the x replaces another letter of the alphabet in case LRH has rules about advertising). Plus CZ has a rebate for same that ends last day of the year.
So I ordered one and will wait a week or so for the check to clear and shipping.
Tim,
Welcome to LRH, and enjoy! Congrats on an excellent choice of chambering and brand. As you have already discovered, open/western and long-range hunting differs from what you are accustomed to. My advice is to take your time and enjoy the learning process, and of course, practice, practice, practice. Long-range hunting does not happen overnight. Enjoy your new rig, and keep us all posted. Cheers!

Ed

If you shoot 300WM, 7RM, 300Wby adnauseam, all have 26" barrels and nobody cares. A .270Win is a 65K cartridge which has a governor on it with shorter barrels. Like @FEENIX has stated, his .270 AI demonstrates its potential to T. Browning realized its potential which is also why it comes in fast twist for heavier bullets at 26" brl. The problem is very few understand the potential of the .270 at 65K with longer barrel, fast twist for heavier higher BC bullets, a 700 LA or clone to maximize the magazine COAL to at least 3.67 along with appropriate freebore. It's not Grandpa's .270 when it is allowed to "breathe"!

@FEENIX and others who built the real .270 opened my eyes to its potential and built one couple years ago as well with incredible performance. A700LA with 0.290 freebore 1:8tw, ENORMOUSLY long 27" Light Palma barrel exceeded all expectations in performance. This build was topic here on LRH couple years ago as just a walk with me. The 170EOL @3100 no prob. The 156HH at 3200 no prob. The performance is there if you want it.

Look, it's just another cartridge that with new bullets and powder that gets updated. No different than changing twists on 300WM for heavier higher BC bullets.

But, If you don't like the .270, who cares?

Perfect! Another 10 pages before 2024!

Well since your dont currently own a hunting rifle here are my choices,

Tikka 6 Creedmoor,
Ruger American 6 creedmor
Tikka 6.5 Creedmoor
Ruger American 6.5 Creedmoor.

If you want to spend more money buy a browning. Nice guns. 6.5 creed/6 creed ammo cheaper and easy to find
If Tikka made one in 6 Creedmoor that would be the answer...