257 Weatherby

It's over h1000 but I am gonna try rl33 next as you can some speed but is more temp sensitive. I'm pushing the 115 bt at 3450fps right now if memory serves me well. If I could gain 100fps I'd have a real nice load. It's done well out past 600 yards so far.

Our 92g Hammer Hunter at 3600+fps will do everything you want. No problem with the high vel and will perform the same down to 1800fps.

Steve

I've had great accuracy out of 115vlds and 115 nosler ballistic tips in my 257 vanguard. I get 3280 fps, it's a mild load but the gun shoots very well there.
I use 7828.
Yep! When I still had mine, the best loads I got out of it were 115 VLD's, IMR 7828 SSC, and Fed 215M primers in Weatherby brand brass.

The ELDX seems interesting though. Just dont know how they will perform at the speed at 100-200 yards.
There's a whole thread on the ELD-X Terminal ballistics over in the Rifles, Bullets, Ballistics section you'll probably find interesting.

The few I've shot in the .260's, STW's, and 300 Rum's held up pretty well even at extreme impact velocities. More frangible than I'd like but no softball sized exits or penciled through runoffs either.

The 92g Hammer Hunter is designed for 10" twist with full stability at sea level.

I would look first at rl23 and start at 66g and work up. Looking for high 3600's

Steve
I never cease to be impressed by the results I'm getting with both RL23 and 26 in the WM and larger cases up through the Rum.

I'm hoping they'll be equally impressive in the LRM.

use the 110 accubond. you wont be disappointed. I had a roy vanguard that spit them out at 3250, slightly mild for that cartridge but it shot extremely well for a plain factory vanguard.

Last edited:
use the 110 accubond. you wont be disappointed. I had a roy vanguard that spit them out at 3250, slightly mild for that cartridge but it shot extremely well for a plain factory vanguard.

That's not bad speed for a vanguard and the 110's have to remember it's hard to match factory ammo speed. They have some great powder they use. Plus barrel length is a big deal in the Roy.

Last edited:
Or this lots of speed and will never b
Not sure what this means?

That's not bad speed for a vanguard and the 110's have to remember it's hard to match factory ammo speed. They have some great powder they use. Plus barrel length is a big deal in the Roy.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.