257 Weatherby

That's a nice deer. I also tried the 110 bonds they worked great. I originally thought of using those for close shots and the bt for 400 plus yards. But then I got to test the 115 bt at some close range under 80 yards and they worked perfect no explosion or penciling. Just a nice entrance and a nice exit even up close way past recommended fps.

I've been a big 257 weatherby fan for about 15 years. I've used 117 hornady sst, great accuracy , good performance on deer. Tried the barnse tax. Same results. I'm currently using 120 grain Speer btsp . Shot a 200pound buck a few weeks ago at 425 yards . watched him drop 20 yards from where I shot him. That's the farthest I've had one go when shot with my 257 bee

I have one other suggestion: after 3 firings that hornady 257 brass will start splitting at the neck. I began annealling them and have reloaded mine 6 times now. I use a 9/16 socket on a impact driver, rotate the case slowly with an torch pointed at the shoulder, watch the blue line travel down the case body maybe 1/2" and do each one exactly the same and drop them in the water.

Well just ordered the 115 NBT. Now it' to find a powder. My LGS has some 7828 SSC so I will be trying that first. They also have the Enduron powders.

I seated my nbt at 3.25", the recommended length and settled on 67.5gr of 7828. 3280fps.
Considering ur gun shoots the same factory ammo well, might not hurt as a reference point

My 257 Mark V ULW shoots both factory 110 AB and 115 NBT under half an inch at 200 yards. I have tried, as did the previous owner, to get close to matching that have have not had success. So, as much as it pains me, I've bought factory ammo when I take it out.

I have since purchased a crimping die, and may use RL-26 to see if I can make one more attempt. I've copied as much as I can otherwise from the factory load but can't match it.

My 257 Mark V ULW shoots both factory 110 AB and 115 NBT under half an inch at 200 yards. I have tried, as did the previous owner, to get close to matching that have have not had success. So, as much as it pains me, I've bought factory ammo when I take it out.

I have since purchased a crimping die, and may use RL-26 to see if I can make one more attempt. I've copied as much as I can otherwise from the factory load but can't match it.
Unfortunately they have resources the rest of us can only dream of. Very rarely though have I been completely unable to match all but the very best factory ammo I've ever bought.

The one exception to this point that stands out is Prime Ammo's .260 Remington which is true match quality ammo that consistently shoots itty bitty groups for me in three totally different rifles, two bolt and one AR.

I never thought of rl 26. I was gonna do a load with rl33 on my next attempt. Seems most gain 150fps over h1000. I have good groups now but my fired brass so much bigger than my sized stuff it won't slide in my ammo case. I was debating on just neck sizing for my capacity and accuracy. But then it puts more wear on the barrel. So I may try it at the same time as the rl33.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.