Remodel 257 weatherby

Wysongdog

Hey guys want to pick your brains. I’ve got a 257 weatherby built on a Borden action. Love the action it’s the same action my 28 is built on. Problem is this gun weighs 9.2 pounds empty. That really won’t work for a mountain gun. Looking at changing out the barrel and stock. Want this rifle for deer/sheep/wolf etc. Going to run this gun suppressed with my ultra 7. I don’t have any problem burning out a barrel, I’ve always loved hot rods. Which way would you guys go? Thanks for your help.

RR 314

I would say send it to Pac-Nor but that is still a no go. Look at one of Mark Bansner's stocks and go from there.

257Tony

I'd do a 6.5 PRC with a 22" carbon barrel, and a lightweight McMillan. Manners, or similar stock.

Dr. Vette

You have a heavy scope on it now too.
If you're swapping barrel and stock and scope might it not just be better to get a different lightweight rifle?

Wysongdog

Yeah You are right it’s not a light scope. They scope is actually already off. I’ve thought about just buying a lightweight rifle but this gun just sits. I haven’t shot it in 4/5 years. So I was thinking to make it more useable..
not positive my thinking is the best plan either lol

86alaskan

Stick with the 257wby, get a proof 7.5 twist 257 barrel from blackjack bullets. You can run heavy 257 hammer copper monos or the 131 blackjack at over 3400 reliably. With the 131 at that speed, everything is in range. You could shave some barrel weight and use a round that you're familiar with. I have a 25 saum built and at 2350fps, I'm under 5mil to 1000yds, and it's a lazer beam.

Wysongdog

Perfecto. That’s the direction I was thinking. Have talked to Steve about bullets for it. I am currently running his bullets in three of my guns.

Last edited:

Hoss50

I had started thinking on the 264 mag after reading that long Discussion.
I just went through the same dilemma with my 257 weatherby that has a shot out barrel. Do I make it a 257 weatherby again or make it a 264 win mag?

I went back to the 257 weatherby. I ordered a 1:8 twist barrel so I can shoot 131gr Blackjack bullets.

Wysongdog

I just went through the same dilemma with my 257 weatherby that has a shot out barrel. Do I make it a 257 weatherby again or make it a 264 win mag?

I went back to the 257 weatherby. I ordered a 1:8 twist barrel so I can shoot 131gr Blackjack bullets.
How’s it shoot?

Latest Classifieds

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce