257 Weatherby

baconeater20

Anybody load and hunt with the Swift Scirocco ll in a 257 Roy? Performance? I am shooting a 24" tube so I know I will not have full potential but still figure to get a good bit into the 3's on FPS.

MKG

20, several of us here are shooting the Berger 115gr VLD with H1000 in 26" Mark V and 24" Vanguards. They are quite accurate and deadly on deer, antelope and javelina. Coyotes hate them too.

I've had great accuracy out of 115vlds and 115 nosler ballistic tips in my 257 vanguard. I get 3280 fps, it's a mild load but the gun shoots very well there.
I use 7828.

I hear you but I thought I had read my twist is to slow for it. It recommends 1:9 with mine being a 1:10. I know its not that far off but its my only quarter bore. I would hate to have to buy another rifle just to get rid of those bullets. lol

MKG

I hear you but I thought I had read my twist is to slow for it. It recommends 1:9 with mine being a 1:10. I know its not that far off but its my only quarter bore. I would hate to have to buy another rifle just to get rid of those bullets. lol

MKG

I don't know why a 100gr bullet wouldn't be fine. You can shoot it around 3500fps which will add stability. More fps=faster rpm
Try them out

Stick to bullets you can fully stabilize. I've shot a lot of Sirocco II's and found them to shoot very well, be easy to tune a load for.

At high velocity though they can do some really weird things on impact such as flattening out like a quarter or half dollar and track off at obtuse angles instead of passing completely through.

At WBY velocities you might be better off shooting a monometal.

The biggest problem with the quarter bores is the limited availability of quality bullets. I finally gave up on my 25-06's for just that reason.

I am collecting brass but as of right now I am shooting factory ammo in the Hornady GMX 90 Grain and they group really well. Next month I will start rolling my own and just trying to make a decision on what to load. I pretty much shoot VLD's in my other rifles but I saw my twist was a little slow for the 115 VLD's.

I am collecting brass but as of right now I am shooting factory ammo in the Hornady GMX 90 Grain and they group really well. Next month I will start rolling my own and just trying to make a decision on what to load. I pretty much shoot VLD's in my other rifles but I saw my twist was a little slow for the 115 VLD's.

The vlds will be fine

If they are shooting well for you and you're not planning to shoot beyond 600yds seriously I would stick with them.

The VLD's are just way to frangible in general and too unpredictable for me.

I haven't looked but Nosler used to make a .257 accubond and may be making them in the ABLR. Hornady may be producing one in the ELD-X as well.

I shot a pile of Nosler BT's in my 25-06's but they'd be flying bombs at WBY speeds.

My 257 really shoots the factory hornady 90gr GMx ammo really well too...that's where I started with reloading. Box of bullets later I figured out I needed to crimp the cannelure to make them shoot. I've shot 9 deer with nosler ballistic tips and was exceptionally happy with the performance on all except the last deer. Shot him close and the bullet possibly turned inside out, carving a 2" channel. He ran about 100yds and died. The bullet still performed but not as well as the others. I only shot one with a vld and it pencilled through a deers heart so I went back ballistic tips that I know will expand. I shot 3 deer with the gmx and wasn't ever really impressed. They punched a hole and the deer died but usually they jumped then walked around with a hump in their back until I shot them again. But seeing how many of ppl have good luck with Berger bullets I probably had the one off and stuck it between ribs. Maybe I should try them again. I've loaded 90gr gmx, 90gr blitzkings, 100gr interlocks, 115 vlds and 115 bt, the 115s by far shot the best. I'm guessing because of bullet to bore alignment in the long Weatherby throat.

Lol ballistic tips are flying bombs and awesome. Generally they flatten deer with authority!

I can say I have never shot a BT. Always stayed away from them. I killed a 115 lbs doe this year with GMX and it performed ok. Half dollar holes through both lungs. I think the nest one I shoot will be a little closer to the shoulder. Just hate to ruin the heart being that is my favorite part to eat. I have also never crimped when reloading so that will be something new for me.

Messing around doing a drop chart with Muzzle Velocity at 3450 that puts me at still over 2550 FPS at 400 yards. Looking at Hornadys site with pics of that bullet at 2600 FPS seems like it wouldnt hold together under 400 yards.

I hunt mostly with my custom .257 Roy with a 28" barrel. I've ran almost every bullet and the most consistent and performing ha sheen the nosler BT. I was worried at first about being to explosive at the speeds I'm pushing but they have been great. Killed lots of big Michigan deer with it. In fact I took 4 large does the last day of season this year with it. All bang flops nice exit. Those were only 60 yards out. Killed some big pigs with it every year to. That's he one bullet I know is gonna work. Stabilizes out of a 1/10 also that's what I have. Gonna use that combo on an Audad and oryx in two weeks.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.