25-284 build

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by lee31, May 17, 2018.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. lee31

lee31 Well-Known Member

I was just on Facebook. Looks like They have 1-7.25 Bartliens and Kriegers in stock. And can have rock creeks in a bout a month.

2. newmexkid

newmexkid Well-Known Member

Yeah. I finally relented and joined facebook. Sent them a message, waiting on reply. If they have the Bartleins I'll try and get one.

lee31 likes this.
  3. lee31

lee31 Well-Known Member

I think I seen your post. I thought Logan said they had some in stock

4. newmexkid

Probably, I'm trying to ascertain if they can do one at a finished 28"

5. Culpeper

Culpeper Member

The couple of times I ordered from them they were on schedule. Weird thing is they don't tell you it is shipped. It'll just show up one day.

X-Caliber Barrel & Mfg lead times

Unturned Blanks 2-4 Weeks

Contoured Blanks 5-7 Weeks

Prefits 6-8 Weeks

ARs 8-10 Weeks

6. newmexkid

Hawkhill barrels here in Virginia is also looking at working with me. We'll see.

lee31 likes this.
  7. COBrad

COBrad Well-Known Member

Tag

8. Jerryrva

Jerryrva Well-Known Member

I sent Hawkhill an email today expressing an interest as well. Anyone else interested should also do so. How else is a company going to know what to make? Especially one that usually concentrates on competition barrels.
    It was a nice warm afternoon Sunday here in central Virginia. Day after Deer season closed and two of my neighbors sounded like they were shooting AR's all afternoon. I sounded off slowly breaking in a new rifle barrel. I hate cleaning after every shot especially with it takes forever to get all the copper out!

9. newmexkid

What make barrel were you shooting? Not much mention on PAC NOR barrels on lots of sites. However, my last 2 barrels from them were SSSM barrels and they shoot very, very good. Copper clean up...Meh. After 25 rounds on one of their barrels I did the following: Removed all carbon residue. Patch with Sweet's, 10 passes with nylon brush and then clean up. Let the rifle sit for a couple of days and ran another patch with Sweet's and it had just the very slight tint of blue on a couple of spot's. So slight that I had to really look close at the patch.

10. rokstockrangtang

rokstockrangtang Member

Thats I'm running,PacNor except in a 26 nosler.
    I dont have enough rounds downt the tube to know fer sure if she is a shooter.

11. Zorack

Zorack Well-Known Member

Lilja makes a 1:7t for the .257

12. newmexkid

I ended up ordering one from Bartlien .

13. AZShooter

AZShooter Well-Known Member

Regarding the 1 in 7 twist Lilja. It is a 3 groove. That combination may cause bullet failure once the throat gets rough. I believe in part it is the RPMs then the large surface area that is engraving the three lands impart on the jacket.

Some members here warned me years ago about using a 1 in 7 twist 3 groove Lilja. I chose 7mm Rem mag shooting to shoot the 180 gr Berger VLD hunting bullets. My friend used same barrel in 7 STW. Dan's 7 STW began damaging the jackets in less than 100 rounds with RPM being 329,142. Mine took longer approx. 200 rounds IIRC, RPM 313,714

I emailed Bryan Litz. He suggested I try the 180 target version which have a thicker jacket. This worked for around 50 more rounds when those bullets also were damaged causing wild diversions in POI at 100 yds. Bryan suggested moly coating. Did that and got another 50 or so round from the gun and it repeated its previous performance. I rebored the barrel to a 338 for another purpose.

Thought it was worth mentioning.

14. newmexkid

I ordered a Bertlien 4 groove 7.25 twist. We'll see how that works out. Just wondering...Is there a formula for figuring the rpm's of a particular bullet/twist.