.284 Long Range Build

Ya, I use a couple of those free ballistic programs and from 500 hunddy on, the .284's really outshine the .277's and .308's.

If you play golf and you have a long shot you get out the driver, If your shooting longrange you get out the one that is going to get you there I would sugest the 7 STW or the 7 RUM andif you don,t mind doing a lot of sizeing the 276 Baer over a K you will need to watch the wind

I have a Kimber 270WSM. I think elk at 600 yards is a fair distance for it the way it is set up.

How far do you plan to shoot?

If I were to change it I think a 7wsm with a longer barrel and a brake would be a good deal(I've had 3 270WSM's and 2 7mmWSM's and a 7mmRSAUM).

Just curious, why would you build/buy a 7 WSM versus a 7 mmRSAUM? I'm getting close to a build and been wrestling with this for the last month....

herbdan08

Just curious, why would you build/buy a 7 WSM versus a 7 mmRSAUM? I'm getting close to a build and been wrestling with this for the last month....

herbdan08

It doesn't matter too much I think. There may be some positives to both but they really are very close to each other. Real life performance in yards less than 50 different at best. Farthest I have shot an elk with one was 385 yards drt 160g Sierra sgk.

The Kimber 8400 I have has a magazine length of around 3" so there is going to be no longer cartridges or long coal's.

7WSM has more powder capacity than a 7RSAUM and a shorter neck. I've shot both and they both shoot good. I don't think they are a 1000yard rifle for elk. Maybe 800 but the farthest I have shot elk is a little over 500yards and that was with a 270WSM(tipped the cow right over tho'). You can buy ammo for a 7WSM but good luck on the 7RSAUM.

If I was going to get a 1000+ yard rifle I would probably get a 338 Lapua or Rum.

If you are interested in re-barreling to something in the 7mm persuasion, I would recommend checking out the following link:

7mm Cartridge Guide

The link will take you to a very thorough discussion of the pros and cons of various 7mm chamberings currently in use in 1000 yard competition.

Personally, I think your 270WSM would be a good place to start. If you are not already doing so, begin handloading for it. From there, shoot it until you burn the throat out of the barrel. By then, you should have enough experience to really take advantage of whatever cartridge you decide to re-barrel to.

My personal quest to become a true long range shooter is still in its infancy. However, I am quickly coming to the conclusion that money spent on practice will trump money spent on equipment until I have developed the skill to shoot my rifles to the limits of their capability.

I still have a long way to go...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.