25-06 strikes back

remingtonman_25_06

Yesterday morning me and a buddy went yote hunting all day. I took my 25-06 w/100g btips at a slow 3150fps. Majority of the day was just spent driving around looking for them as its pretty cold and there out looking for food. I forgot actually how many coyotes we seen yesterday, I know it was more then 10. I missed at least 5 or 6 of them, all on the run from 150-500 yards away. None would ever sit still long enough for me to range, click my scope, and shoot. 1 of them, I forgot to jack a shell in the chamber and he was standing about 200 yards away, crosshairs were right on him and "click". Aww man, I jacked a shell in, by that time, yote took off doing mach 10. Another one was trotting slowly about 150 yards and I put the crosshairs a foot or two in front of him and touched off, only to see him kick it in another gear. To say I was getting mad was an understatement. I know yotes are hard to shoot running, but man was I on a roll for missing. On the way home, I happened to look up and see 2 coyotes standing on the hillside about 200 yards away. I got out of the truck, got a rest off fencepost and took a shot at 1 that was standing there. The 100g btip slapped him right behind the shoulder and he did a mad dash down the hill 50 yards and came to a rest. Finally got one after a whole day of missing. There so much easier to hit when there just standing there. I hit him right behind the shoulder, but a little low. The 100g btip pretty much gutted him Pics aren't to great cuz it was right before dark, but there not to bad. I haven't shot a yote with my 25-06 in over a year, so it was nice to get it back on track.

2itklsj.jpg

Thanks ceylonc

I'm shooting a Winchester model 70 classis sporter, 24" factory barrel. Scope is a Leupold VX2, 6-18x40, target knobs, w/fine duplex. Sits in leupold rifleman weaver style rings/bases. Winchester factory trigger worked to 2.5#. This rifle is actually pretty accurate for a factory. Has shot a .043" 3 shot group at 100 yards, and will shoot 1/4" with that load most the time, bullet is 117g SBT. Several bullets will shoot .5" at 100 yards. Hope to get a few more with this 100g btip combo.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts