25-06 and bullet selection

sand909

I recently purchased a browning x-bolt in 25-06 with a 1:10 twist. I don't have any reloading equipment so I bought a box of hsm ammo with 115 gr berger vld bullets and a box of nosler ammo with 100 gr nosler partition bullets.
I went to the range to shoot and I was not impressed with the above ammo. The hsm and the nosler gave me a 36" group at 50 yards. At first I thought it was the scope, I checked the scope for tightness and all was good. I decided to buy a box of hornady superformance with 117 grain sst and federal fusion with 120 grain. both of these shot 1/2" groups at 100 yards. What would the problem be with the hsm and the nosler ammo? Is the twist rate not fast enough for these bullets or what . What would be recommended for ammo and bullet selection with lighter bullets for use on deer size game?

Last edited:
The problem with the HSM ammo (which I find funny and odd) is that Berger has never offered a .257 caliber VLD in 140gr.....They only offer it in 115gr, and they shoot great. If you have 140gr VLD ammo it will be in either a 6.5 or 7mm caliber...

Is that 36" or 3-6". Either way. The factory offerings for .25/06 are a little limited. EXTREMELY limited where I am. But I had good luck with 85 nosler grain ballistic tips from federal, and 117 grain sst's in the superformance line. 1-10 twist stevens 200.

The 10" twist in a 25-06 will shoot from 120 gr bullets on down including 115 VLD. There had to be something else going on to make a rifle shoot 36" groups at 50 yards then go to 1/2" groups at 100.

140's means he was shooting the wrong diameter bullet which could definitely cause issues and I'm amazed he didn't crack his barrel all the way down...If that's what happened.

ive got to say that ive never seen a bolt action gun that shot a 36inch 50 yard group with any ammo. Especially one that turned around and shot a different ammo into an inch at a 100

IMHO buying factory ammo with a Berger VLD is risky at best.Considering how finicky they can be to load I couldnt imagine great results.

My 25-06 AI shoots the Berger 115's and the 100 gr Swift Scirocco's very good. All are reloads and group quite well. The 115's work really good on deer. I have not shot any deer with the Scirocco's.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.