25-06--which bullet

devildogandboy

i have an 25-06 with 26" barrel(varmint) and 10 twist, what's the lightest bullet and best grouping recipe you have? i would like to reach out and touch some p-dogs and targets around 300-400yds. :)

thank in advance for any help.

Bruce

I use mine for both the semi-long range (up to 500 yards) as well as hunting. I have used mainly 100 - 120 grain bullets.
My best groups with these have come with IMR 4831 (100 gr Speers), H4831 (110 Nos AB), RL-19 (Nos 110 gr AB [ 2nd 25-06]) and IMR 4831 for the 120gr Speers. All have shot sub-MOA at pretty much any range I've tried.
Longest measured/witnessed shot was 567 on a little Texas whitetail. One shot, DRT w/ the 120 Speers.

IMR 4350 has always given me great accuracy and velocity with 100 and 87 gr bullets. My 26" Shilen barrel likes flat base bullets best. The 100 gr Sierra Pro hunter with 52 grs IMR 4350 is really accurate and would probably do best for the really long range PD shots. In the mountains of TN varmints consist of ground hogs and 300 yards and under is the usual shot. The 87 gr Sierra with 52.2 grs IMR 4350 Rem Case, CCI 250 mag primer is WICKED, talking RED MIST and SCATTERED PIECES. For deer I have used many different bullets during 15 years of crop damage control shooting on a big farm in east NC. My pick is the 117 Sierra Pro Hunter and my current rifle prefers 49 grs IMR 4350, Rem case, CCI 250 mag primer and does 3000 fps and is bug hole accurate and bang flops deer about 99% of the time from point blank to around 600 yards.

Dogs probably are not for this load but it is the most potent load for the 2506. 100 ttsx, stuff it full of rl25 pack it in, and then stuff some more in. Win MAG primer. And 3600 fps hammer comes out. It blows the **** out of anything inside of 400 yds. A speed goat gets a 12 inch hole at 100. Oh did I say PACK in the RL25!!!

hey, thanks guys for the info, i really appreciate it. i have most of my components for reloading except the bullets, need to pick some up. i have the barrel and haven't yet mounted it. i always was interested in the 25-06 and finally came across a barrel when i had some money left. i hope it's a shooter! :D

anybody else have any loads?

Bruce

I grew up shooting 75gr Hornady hollow pts from a 257 Roberts on prairie dogs. You shot what you had. That bullet perform great, but for what your doing. Why the 75gr V-max would be okay. The 90gr Sierra tipped blitz may be the ticket.

I would believe the heaver bullet from the 25-06 speeds would be the best compromise on speed and BC. And shooting prairie dogs without a violently expanding bullet takes some of the fun out of it.:D

I grew up shooting 75gr Hornady hollow pts from a 257 Roberts on prairie dogs. You shot what you had. That bullet perform great, but for what your doing. Why the 75gr V-max would be okay. The 90gr Sierra tipped blitz may be the ticket.

I would believe the heaver bullet from the 25-06 speeds would be the best compromise on speed and BC. And shooting prairie dogs without a violently expanding bullet takes some of the fun out of it.:D

it's more fun watching thwm burst into red mist! :rolleyes:

Bruce

I have had very good luck with the 75gr Vmax. Terminal performance is spectacular and they can be cranked up to warp speeds. That being said, the super hot light bullet loads are not kind to barrels. I have since gone to a single load utilizing the 115gr Ballistic Tip. They're not quite as fast, but the BCs and accuracy are great and they kill deer size game and anything smaller like a lightning bolt.

I shoot a Savage 110fp Tactical for prairie dogs. The best I have found is IMR4831
just short of Max with Sierra 90gr Blitz Kings.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

thanks guys for the replies, i'm jotting them all down in my notes for when ii start loading this cartridge. :)

i haven't been able to get on here the last couple days, kept getting a Malware warning so i stayed away. seems to have been taken care of.

Bruce

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.