Need help in selecting a .25-06 bullet

Me to ..own a 25/06 for 40 years and have hunted elk and moose with it.I switched from the partition to the Barnes 115 gr tsx.It will penetrate heavy muscle and bone.I like the mono's when we use lighter chamberings for these big animals.This will bump up the confidence a notch imo

Me to ..own a 25/06 for 40 years and have hunted elk and moose with it.I switched from the partition to the Barnes 115 gr tsx.It will penetrate heavy muscle and bone.I like the mono's when we use lighter chamberings for these big animals.This will bump up the confidence a notch imo

I too think the Barnes would be a good choice for the OPs intended range. That or the Partition. I don't have a dog in the .250" bore fight but both bullets should get the job done <300yards. If running a Partition, I'd try to get to the heavier side of the equation just as a CYA.

t

There is some very good information being posted about .25-06 bullets for elk shooting. I am the original poster (O.P.) and certainly thank all whom have read and replied. Bakercity:)

If your gun already likes the heavier bullets, I'd work with the 115gr Barnes TSX. it's going to be long, but in the 25-06 you'll often have plenty of extra space to accommodate that long shank. My 25-06 shoots them fast and accurate. you should be able to get to 3000fps no problem, and that'll take an elk inside 300yds with no problem.

If you are shooting 400 yards or less, real world for a 25/06 a 120 grain partition is just fine. don't be so fascinated with the .400 grouping. ANY rifle that shoots a real world 1MOA is ALL you need.

I have 2 25-06 rifles and have tried most bullets out there.
I know you said that your rifle doesn't like Nosler bullets, but 2 stellar bullets I have tried are the 110gr Accubond and 115gr Partition.
I was using the 120gr Partition, but my buddy was using the 115gr, his results were better than mine, I switched, and my results mirrored his. I don't know why, but the 115gr Partition out penetrates the 120gr Partition, and retains more weight.
The bees knees, for me though, has to be the 110gr Accubond, haven't recovered a single one yet from a game animal. All exits have been around 1.5-1.75 bigger than entrance size and huge internal damage.
The one's we recovered from cow carcasses, all had the mushroom close to the shank, even at 300yrds after hitting bone. The exposed lead was flattened, rather than rounded, after hitting bone, but it was stellar performance in our eyes.
These bullets perform the same in every cal I've tried them in, even the 260gr in a 375 Weatherby at almost 3000fps MV.

I like the 120gr Hot Cor too, unsure if it's still available though.

Cheers.
gun)

I have the same rifle and have hunted and killed all species of game here except for the large bears. It shoots so well with the Barnes 115 gr tsx and is an good elk round imo.It is not a long range load however. But very effective on elk sized game.I think you would get the same performance from the bonded Swift product ,or other coppers or perhaps the Hammer product...it sounds very good. Tony

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.