Need a lil help with 25-06

halfbakedi420

gonna get a 25-06 fer my 12 y/o...
i am lookin to get a heavy bore...and was wonderin what twist and barrel length is good for 90-130g bullets?
she is wanting to get out to 500 yards someday.
she is hittin 300 with her 223, bout 4 inch groups.
its a rossi, so i wanna get her one where she can get better groups, so she isnt so frustrated not being able to put 3 in a hole. i think she's ready fer a bigger round, so im thinkin just get the 25-06 ..a lil heavier bullet is the reasoning behind it. suggestions? criticism?
thanks for takin the time guys.

The 25-06 is one of my all time favorite midrange guns. If you handload it can really shine. There are a limited number of good factory loads available. I used mostly 100 gr. for deer and 75 gr for varmints. 1 in 10 twist will stabilize up to 120 grain bullets. If you dont handload i would look at the .243 win. It has a much larger selection of factory loads and is capable of taking deer size game out to around 400 yds with proper loads. The recoil of the 243 will also be more manageable and can be had in a short action as well. If you plan on shooting the heavier vld type bullets in the 243 you will prob want a 1 in 8 twist.

I shot a 25-06 for many years and they are a great cartridge. Dean is correct in saying that a 10 twist is what you want. I would personally go with the 25 over the .243 because you can load down to 60 grain bullets or up to 120's. It would have considerably more pop than the 6mm. When I first moved west, I took elk with 115 Nosler partitions....Rich

Just a thought, but I think a heavy barreled 12 twist 308 would be the most practical for what your asking, I have not seen to many inaccurate 308s, but there isn't a thing wrong with a 10 twist 25-06.

Ruger m77 target model
its a great gun we have two(one is my daughters gun) and they shoot out to 700 easy with vmaxs and ballistic tips(reloads)
She has shot countless varmits and a few deers and bear no problems
Get a good scope I like leupolds vx 3 6.5x20 Her scope has been modified with the cds turrets and has the varmit hunter reticle
Great way to go
retiredcpo

I do plan on getting into reloading a couple months befor this rifle will be in my hands. thx fer the suggestions guys, but i am gonna get the 25-06, in a 10 twist..unless someone has a real good reason why not
she will be using it for deer, hog and paper.
as far as action goes, i was wanting it with the built in mag..where ya put the shells in through the bolt? no removable mag...i dont know what this is called?
i am liking the bull bore, just a personal preference, i know its heavy, but it should help reduce recoil.my daughter is taller than my wife, wears a womans 11 1/2 shoe and should be able to handle carrying it around, so not really concerned with that.
i was planning on a lilja barrel? what ya think of these?
also, what does everyone think of the canted land?

Last edited:
Lilja barrels are one of the best! I've had three and they shot very well. I don't think Dan Lilja makes a canted land barrel yet though? I currently have a 5R Bartlein that is probably the best barrel I've ever had....Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.