25 06 ackly

I have been shooting this cartridge for years and currently have (2) Coopers chambered in it. A Model 52 and a Model 92. I sold my standard 25-06 after buying the first Cooper. My AI's both perform well with Berger 115 VLD's and Retumbo or 7828 SSC. The stopping power is impressive on Hogs and Deer. I have fire formed Norma and Nosler brass for mine although recently transitioned to 100% Norma these days as the primer pockets seem to hold up a little better. Overall a great cartridge in my humble opinion when paired with today's slow burning powders.

Forming AI brass has no appeal to me, and I'd love to be able to buy .25-06 AI brass and go straight to working up a load.

Unfortunately, it looks like Quality Cartridge is no longer offering .25-06 AI brass.

Last edited:
You have to fire form which is no big deal you can fireform out in the field or at the range. Just use your regular loads, or if you are so inclined you can bump up your regular loads to make up for the lost energy forming the brass. As a rule of thumb I have found that you lose 10% in velocity fireforming IE: a usual 4000 fps load will exit the barrel at 3600 fps. Don't waste your time just fireforming with cream of wheat or what ever. It is a complete waste of components and is also very hard on the throat of the barrel, and also the forming of the brass does not come out as nice. Some times it takes several time to come out right to be completely formed.

Your millage may vary.

Dean

I'll second that one on the cream of wheat fireforming. It didn't work well at all for me in the 30-06 Ackley. The fastest powder that is appropriate for your bullet weight works best, in a charge that's just below maximum for the standard cartridge. I don't recall where I first read this, but when I tried it I found it to work great. One charge of powder and one bullet ends up being cheaper than trying to use the cream of wheat method three or four times. With primers being so scarce right now, I wouldn't burn up too many of those un-necessarily. If you've got some inexpensive bullets, that is the better way to go. If you're going to buy bullets for this, see if you can find some that are heavy for your caliber. That is said to help, but I don't know for sure - I just used what I had laying around and it was just fine. One shot fills out the angles of the shoulder, and now your case is done shortening, so you can trim to the desired length one time and be finished with that, too.

And I've found fireforming loads shoot to the same POI or very close so you can hunt coyotes or whatever with fireforming loads if you wish..

I've built several and all were very accurate and offered great performance..

Another really nice .25 is the creed case.. Offers great velocity in a short action. I get 3,300 with a 100 Nosler BT.. And yes, I'm sure its a hot load but bolt opens effortlessly, primer pockets stay tight - with the small pocket Lapua cases.. Another option ----.

And I've found fireforming loads shoot to the same POI or very close so you can hunt coyotes or whatever with fireforming loads if you wish..

I've built several and all were very accurate and offered great performance..

Another really nice .25 is the creed case.. Offers great velocity in a short action. I get 3,300 with a 100 Nosler BT.. And yes, I'm sure its a hot load but bolt opens effortlessly, primer pockets stay tight - with the small pocket Lapua cases.. Another option ----.
SMH.gif

yes, obviously offers more..

offered the other opinion as a short action option.

.25-06 Ackley IMPROVED is the answer! ;)

yes, obviously offers more..

offered the other opinion as a short action option.

.25-06 Ackley IMPROVED is the answer! ;)
You must have had a pair of cheap reading glasses and the prescription ran out on them as nowhere did I see short action or Needmoor mentioned in the OP's question , but I knew the MBG would show up sooner or later

you are correct.. my mistake.

However, Sometimes perceived forum etiquette makes one feel like you are in a communistic country where you can't offer a simple observation without being nailed to the cross.. Good day!

Last edited:
I have fire formed brass for my .280 AI with mixed results due to the quality of some brass. Nosler brass gives me best results and am thankful they produce the brass. I'm having the hardest time getting my hands on Peterson brass which I prefer. There are some nice quarter bores out there but I love PO's version of the 25-06!

A hearty second on Butter Bean's post and I have used Quality Cartridge for 25:06AI, 250AI, 243AI, 240 Gibbs, and 6.5 Gibbs brass and have never been disappointed in either the quality or the service. Soon I'll be looking at either 260AI or 7:08AI brass. I don't mind the fire forming, but I do like the correct head stamp. Just saying…

Forming AI brass has no appeal to me, and I'd love to be able to buy .25-06 AI brass and go straight to working up a load.

Unfortunately, it looks like Quality Cartridge is no longer offering .25-06 AI brass.
I just saw the other day a place called rc brass or something like that and they had 25-06 AI brass.

Love mine...
As far as comparing it to the standard 25-06, more case capacity = more speed, don't have to worry about trimming near as much. Can push light(75gr) bullets in the 4000fps range, heavies(115gr) around 3300fps. Can shoot factory 25-06 ammo if get caught without reloads on hand...
The two I've had built had 1 in 10 twist barrels so 115 bergers was the heaviest I could go, if I were to build one now I'd go with a faster twist so I could shoot some of the new heavy for caliber bullets..

As far as hunting goes the largest animals I have shot with them is whitetails and it performs very well... I'd say it's a great mix of speed, energy and low recoil

Orch
I have a. 25 I've been using too but yours sounds even more interesting. I take the. 308 Norma Magnum and neck it down to. 25 cal. Si far I've gotten 3,750 out of the 100 grain bullet. Sounds like you found something easier tío find brass for.