6mm ack or 25/06 ack

huntwithme

I've got a rem 700 ss 300 win mag that I don't use. I've always wanted an Ackley for some reason. I decided on either a 6mm Ackley or a 25/06 Ackley. I reload a lot and have a lot of either brass on hand. I am thinking the 25/06 ack would be better for deer and antelope at say 500 yards. I also have a lot of 110 accubound from a 257 weatherby I had a while ago. can't decide
thanks

I've got a rem 700 ss 300 win mag that I don't use. I've always wanted an Ackley for some reason. I decided on either a 6mm Ackley or a 25/06 Ackley. I reload a lot and have a lot of either brass on hand. I am thinking the 25/06 ack would be better for deer and antelope at say 500 yards. I also have a lot of 110 accubound from a 257 weatherby I had a while ago. can't decide
thanks

why not a 6.5-06AI? Better bullet selection, and a better use of the case volume (not that the 25-06 isn't bad).
gary

Whichever one you pick (and I'd choose the 25-06 myself), you're going to need a different bolt. If you want to just re-barrel the 300 WM, try the Weatherby 257 mag. You won't need to mess with your bolt. But, then again, you won't have an 'AI'd' caliber.

Decisions, decisions! :D

I would like to shoot some of them 105 gr Hybrids in that 6AI!!

I have a few boxes that I bought for my 6BR but it shoots Berger boat tail target bullets slightly better.
I haven't tried them in my 6AI yet, I've been shooting 105vld huning bullets at 3380 fps ( conservative load, shoots amazing).

With guys hunting with 215gr hybrids successfully, I should try.
Even though there is a big difference in 30 cal and 6mm holes in game.:D

I would tend to go along with the 6AI ideal. Reason? Spend 30 min online comparing bullet selection between the two you listed... And I really don't think a deer will know difference between a .25 bullet and a heavy 6mm bullet at 500... But that's just me, its your gun so if you like it better one way or the other then do that because ultimately YOU are the guy who needs to like it, not me or anyone else!:)

My vote is .25-06 AI 40º Shoulder, but if you don't want to change out the bolt, then like Bbear said, go .257 Wby Mag.

Combine a lot of the suggestions into one. Have a loooooog barreled 264 Win mag made. You will not have to change the bolt and you get the great bullet selection. I have one with a 27 3/4" barrel, all that could be gotten out of a 28" blank, on a Rem 700 mag action that is really accurate and FAST, 3350 fps with 130 Accubonds. If you do not shoot too many rounds quickly and heat up the barrel it will last just as long as a 25-06AI under same conditions. You can also make great cases by just running a 7mm Rem mag case into a 264 Win mag full length sizing die and get a perfect case. I like to use once fired WW 7mm mag cases to make my 264 cases.

what would be the best twist rate on the barrel in 6mm ack if using 90 grn bullets and up.

I've had one in a 24" barrel, and another in 26". The 26" barrel was about 40fps faster if that matters much. Yet the 24" barrel shoot tighter groups consistently. Both were a similar profile to what Remington uses on their varmint rifles (some call it a #5.5 contour). Both rifles were capable of 650+ yard kills on coyotes using 105 grain bullets.

Another unspoken cartridge in 25 caliber that just plain exceeds itself most of the time is the .257 Ackley. Nothing but an improved .257 Roberts. I'm kinda big on the .250 Ackley. A major over achiever! Cases can be formed from .243 Lapua brass, and it's easy to do.

gary

thanks

I used 6RemAI with 1/10 twist barrel,95gr Partition for antelope here in Co and was build long action. Back then I hunt deer/elk same season.

I'm not shooting 243AI with 1/10 and Berger 95gr Classic.

I did one 257Wby and gave that to my nephew. Since your going to include deer tag I would do 25-06AI.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.