25-06,270,7mm,300mag..not a nickles worth of difference

hey montanarifleman, yea i have looked at the sendero in the 25-06 also, that would have to make an awsome antelope and long range chuck rifle. I am getting right around 3200 out of a 24" barrel using a 115 nosler bt but it is a hot load ,, 53 grns of imr4831 ,, which is 1 grain over max in the nosler handbook , i would not recommend it with out careful testing, i have ran that load clean out to 54 grns without any obvious pressure signs, but you could just tell pressure was high, accuracy in my rifle is actually better with max loads or a little higher. START LOW AND WORK UP!

Shade, I'm going to give RL17 and Retumbo a try. Might be able to get some good velocities with them. I had real good results with RL17 in my 300 WSM and i'm thinking it might be a good powder in the 25-06. I think retumbo could be a good performer in the 26" barrel as well. Nosler shows 3267 (in a 24" bbl) using Retumbo for a 110 gr bullet.

BTW, I'm originally a PA boy. I've got some friends coming from Curwinsville this weekend and will be taking them to the Park (YNP) to do some flyfishing on Slough Creek, some of the best flyfishing in the country.

Really looking forward to shooting the 25-06.

-MR

Interestingly enough, since this thread started, I found a good deal on a Sendero 25-06. I've been looking at the ballistics of this cartridge and I am fairly certain I can get 3200 fps with a 115 grain, .453 BC bullet and possibly 3300 fps out of my long throated 26 inch Sendero. IME, that would make it a 700-800 yd deer rifle and antelope rifle and a real sweet shooter.

Will use the 300 RUM for elk.

I am liking the idea of this 25-06 :)

You will like it! I have a Sendero 25-06 that Kirby did his handiwork, trueing rec, skim bed & recrown & re-chambered to a 25-06AI. It is extremely accurate & I view it as a 500+ yd. Deer rifle, 6-700 yd. Antelope rifle & far as you can hit for Varmits. For Deer further than that or for bigger game I go for my 300WM Sendero.

THe way I see it, the major weakness of the 25-06 is simply in bullet selection.

When you look at the bullet selection available in 6.5mm, it begs the question, why not a better selection in bullets for the 257 which is only 0.007" smaller in diameter then its 6.5mm brother. The simple answer, someone decided that 1-10 and 1-12 twist should be the popular choice for factory rifles. Through the years, the 1-10 twist came out as the industry standard. That should be fine right......

Well, that was fine when the 100 gr spitzer flat base was the commonly used bullet design, now we have boat tail, tipped bullets and even a few with a bit more aggressively designed bullets to jump up BC. In my experience, most of the factory rifles in 25 caliber chamberings prefer 100 gr bullets or lighter for best accuracy. Now some will shoot heavier bullets acceptably well for conventional hunting ranges but I have yet to see a factory rifle really hold the heavy 25 cal bullets into tight groups, that being 1/2 moa for three shots.

Again, the problem, is bullets limited to 120 gr or less and generally 115 gr or less. Why not the 140-142 gr class bullets in 257, again not enough twist rate.

So why not step up to a 1-9 twist, hard headedness I suppose.

With a 1-8 or 1-9 twist, we can easily use 142 custom bullets in the 25 cal rifles and ballistics are dramtically improved. BC of these bullets are higher then what the 6.5mm 140 and 142 gr match bullets can produce and velocity potential would be within 50 fps as well. The 25-06 is plenty of case to drive a 142 gr bullet weight and it would vastly improve the terminal performance of the 25-06, especially at longer ranges and on larger game animal targets.

Its easy to get this with a new barrel and you can turn the 25-06 into something totally different then a factory 25-06. Still, until the industry wakes up, sadly, the 25-06 will be limited in what its potential really should be.

I am not saying its not a potent chambering, far from it, there are new bullets that work well, some better then others but its just not the round it COULD be with the right twist rate barrels.

Until the industry stops looking at the 25-06 as a varmint and light big game rifle and figure out its a legit medium game chambering with the right bullet, nothing will change which is unfortunate.

i have heard that some bullet manufacturer's such as wildcat bullets make a heavier .25 cal bullet though i am not positive of that, anyone have any experience with heavier .25 cal bullets?

Yes, I have some 125gr. Wildcats & they did great on Mule Deer & Antelope a couple of years ago. Hopefully, when Wildcat comes back they will offer it & maybe their 130 & 156 again.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.