not long range but worth a look

col48

hi all

went out on Sunday to see if we could get my m8s son his first deer. and i had some factory ammo i was going to try. and see if i could get myself my first fallow.

well my m8s son had his first opportunity to take a nice muntjac doe and was ready to take the shot and was given the go ahead by his dad and squeezed the trigger but nothing happened. he had left the safety on in his excitement. the muntjac did not leave a presentable shot again and was as you all know not hanging around.
but it wasn't long before the next muntjac buck showed. and this time the lad got it all right. and with his dads approval of the shot took a very good heart lung shot and he dropped on the spot. he was using a 243. it was not the best of heads but one he will remember for the rest of his life i suspect. sadly i have no pics off it as i was on the other side of the 70 thousand acer estate. but I'm sure they have.

me on the other hand was not having as good a day. i was trying out some different factory ammo and was given it by a shop for hunting deer. it was Federal premium in 270 wsm and the heads where nosler with yellow tips. i have never seen this type of heads before. anyway a fallow doe was in the sights and i went for a heart lung shot.she ran about 5 steps and went down, she was taken at about 70 to 80y.
on closer inspection the ammo was not performing very well it had exploded on the ribs and there was no exit wound. when i had dealt with it i found that there was very little damage to the internals. i was so ****ed off i forgot to take a photo of it as this could have gone so wrong. i decided to ether take the head shot or a neck shot from now on or to pass up the opportunity as i did on a few occasions.
i have head shot a quit a few deer and am confident in doing this.
and my next 2 deer where muntjac does one was taken @ 130y and the other was about 70y both where head shot. hear are a few pics
Picture030.jpg

as you can see the bullet has not even damaged the other side of the head.
but on this side
Picture034.jpg

hear is the deer of the day in the cooler

Picture036.jpg

and hear is the young lad and his dad.
Picture024.jpg

the total for the day was 7 and i had
1 fallow doe and 2 muntjac does
my m8 had 3 fallow does
and his lad had 1 muntjac buck

thanks
Colin

hi buffalobob

as you can see by the pic there was not even pass through on the head shot.
i have been told that the heads i was using are the same as combined technology. and i was told that you have to keep them down to 3000 fps or you get this kind of result.
i will not be using them again.
i normally hand load,and was just trying them as i am having some rifles built,and was selling them ready to go,shooting factory ammo. they where shooting 1/2 @ 100 so they would have done the job. but seeing the results on deer its back to the drawing board.
thanks
Colin

PS there is no lublox coating on the factory as there is on the combine technology's

good shooting Colin.

well looks like the head shots were pretty effective in any case.

Looks like a nice productive hunt. The memories of time spent with father will be priceless to your son someday.

What's with the hides in the cooler? They are much easier to skin when still warm. I don't know anyone that will allow a hide in the cooler for sanitation reasons.

At what point during the deaths of the 3 animals you killed with 1 shot, did the bullet fail?

I guess I do not understand the complaint? Shoot them with a partition and get a small hole completely through the animal with minimal damage. Shoot a ballistic tip and blow one side of the deer in to pre made sausage? Tit for tat, the animal dies either way?

I guess I am having a hard time with a 100% killing ratio with a total of 5 steps taken after the report of the rifle??

What am I missing?

Yep!! thats what a head shot looks like!! did you have to track her? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
At what point during the deaths of the 3 animals you killed with 1 shot, did the bullet fail?

I guess I do not understand the complaint? Shoot them with a partition and get a small hole completely through the animal with minimal damage. Shoot a ballistic tip and blow one side of the deer in to pre made sausage? Tit for tat, the animal dies either way?

I guess I am having a hard time with a 100% killing ratio with a total of 5 steps taken after the report of the rifle??

What am I missing?

[/ QUOTE ]

< quote anyway a fallow doe was in the sights and i went for a heart lung shot.she ran about 5 steps and went down, she was taken at about 70 to 80y.
on closer inspection the ammo was not performing very well it had exploded on the ribs and there was no exit wound.>

that is what i put in my post.
and the point you are not getting is that yes on this occasion the deer dropped fairly quickly. but with the bullet performance that i saw after i had groloked the deer was Les than good. i have shot deer with total devastation to there internal organs, and still had them run 200y so this could have been so much worse. if your bullet explodes on the ribs out side of the deer most of the bullets energy has been wasted braking ribs. not getting to the vital organs. and correct me if I'm wrong is not the vital organs that need to be hit.
so like i say not very impressed by the bullet performance.
and yes the head shots did the business but this leaves you with a very limited target.

and has i said in my post i was trying them out for a couple of rifles i am building so i can send them out with a load (factory ammo ) ready to go. and this ammo performed well in the range test but in my opinion very poorly in the deer dropping performance. as it could have been easy matter to go the other way and end up chasing a wounded deer all over the estate.

this is how i see it IMHO

i have never seen nosler with yellow heads.

thanks
Colin

Colin,

Congrats oh the kills, good shooting! I've also found BT's to be fragile at high velocity so I avoid using them in areas where a close shot is likely. Without proper penetration, it would be easy to lose an animal with a nasty wound. The BT's are colour coded by caliber; yellow=.277, green=.308,ect… Federal also loads the 130 grain Partition and the 130 TSX for the .270 WSM, perhaps one of those would best suit your needs.
Best of luck,
Dave

thanks Dave
i will certainly take a look at them.
as i would hate to sell someone a new rifle and tell them hear is your round and you are good to go. then hear about a deer has been wounded and it was through bad bullet/ advice. this is y i tried them myself.

thanks
Colin

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts