243AI, is it dead in the water?

Slower powders mean longer barrel life IMO. With the AI cartridge I'm seeing well over 1000 rd barrel life for sub 1/2 moa groups. My son's 6CM gets pretty good velocity with less powder, but it's much faster/hotter powder for the little but efficient case

Slower powders mean longer barrel life IMO. With the AI cartridge I'm seeing well over 1000 rd barrel life for sub 1/2 moa groups. My son's 6CM gets pretty good velocity with less powder, but it's much faster/hotter powder for the little but efficient case
Sustained rate of fire is always the biggest barrel killer. Yes, if slower powders are used and if you can keep your finger off the trigger when the barrel is warm, it will last longer.
My first 6 comp match, the most comparable to 243 AI lasted 1800 rds, my 2nd barrel dumped pressure at 600 rds(both IMR 7977). I made a switch to H4831 got 600 more rds exactly and the barrel was toast.
I was not always this way, but barrel life means absolutely nothing to me today, I am going to shoot my rifles when and how I WANT to. I may have 2-3 blanks downstairs right now, but had up to 8 in waiting. You build a hot rod, no reason to race ford fiestas on a back road, go for the gold.

Sustained rate of fire is always the biggest barrel killer. Yes, if slower powders are used and if you can keep your finger off the trigger when the barrel is warm, it will last longer.
My first 6 comp match, the most comparable to 243 AI lasted 1800 rds, my 2nd barrel dumped pressure at 600 rds(both IMR 7977). I made a switch to H4831 got 600 more rds exactly and the barrel was toast.
I was not always this way, but barrel life means absolutely nothing to me today, I am going to shoot my rifles when and how I WANT to. I may have 2-3 blanks downstairs right now, but had up to 8 in waiting. You build a hot rod, no reason to race ford fiestas on a back road, go for the gold.
I have to agree we buy barrels knowing they are not going to last have fun burn them and replace gunsmiths need to eat too

True, the larger case volume pushes one to slower powders to keep pressures in line with SAAMI max recommendations.

The velocity comparison was based on the max velocity reported in Ammoguide.com so uses the best burn rate powder for each cartridge.

I'm in the process of building a new long range plinker/Varminter/antelope/deer rifle. The conundrum I'm in is I'm hung up on calibre selection. I know I'm going to build this rifle in 6mm. I'm utilizing a Remington 700 SA. I plan on shooting 115's or 105's. I'm very interested in the 243 Ackley but I'm also open to the 6mm Creedmoor and the 6x47 Lapua. Looking for opinions.
To me a wildcat needs to offer a substantial gain to be worth it. The 6 creed will run a 100gr over 3300 with R26. And it feeds good. I like easy.

To me a wildcat needs to offer a substantial gain to be worth it. The 6 creed will run a 100gr over 3300 with R26. And it feeds good. I like easy.
I can get behind you on that mentality, but I also remember a time when the 6CM was a wildcat. Wildcats don't have to be easy for me to like them. I load 300BLK and 458 Socom for my AR's and have been doing so since before they became popular. I enjoy the tinkering aspect as much as the shooting aspect. It certainly helps that I live in region where nature keeps one on the brink of cabin fever each winter.

Have you run a QuickLoad for your AI?

I can get behind you on that mentality, but I also remember a time when the 6CM was a wildcat. Wildcats don't have to be easy for me to like them. I load 300BLK and 458 Socom for my AR's and have been doing so since before they became popular. I enjoy the tinkering aspect as much as the shooting aspect. It certainly helps that I live in region where nature keeps one on the brink of cabin fever each winter.
Haha, I am kind of like you and don't mind a little extra work if it is validated. I am sure your winter weather dwarfs mine, but tinkering with crap when there is no avenue for follow through is downright depressing. I have a friend who has been sitting on 300 windbag test loads for a month, cold is one thing, wind another.
I got out Sunday and nailed a 223 load, but it has been a pain here.

To answer your question, I have never owned a 243 AI and never will. But I think it is in QL if you want some numbers crunched.

I don't think it's dead at all. I am actually gonna build one in the very near future. By summer.
.243 is perfect for your needs I'd say you found what you were looking for with your first choice.
Not to hijack but while on topic. Does anyone know for sure if you can still fire factory ammo out of the .243 improved? I know most you can but just wanted to know for sure on this specific one.
Thanks
Yes you safely can!

Haha, I am kind of like you and don't mind a little extra work if it is validated. I am sure your winter weather dwarfs mine, but tinkering with crap when there is no avenue for follow through is downright depressing. I have a friend who has been sitting on 300 windbag test loads for a month, cold is one thing, wind another.
I got out Sunday and nailed a 223 load, but it has been a pain here.

To answer your question, I have never owned a 243 AI and never will. But I think it is in QL if you want some numbers crunched.
Im thinking if someone would be willing to run a QL for a Berger 115 through a 24" and a 26" pipe that would be top notch! I've been intending to purchase it myself over the years, however I severely lack computer skills!

I'll do that, what powder (s) you thinking?
I'm leaning more for case fill of 95%+ and worry less about specific powders for now. I am interested in the Reloader series(I've had extremely good luck with them in my other rifles) and for this gun I'd be interested in MRO, H1k and 4350 for comparison sake. Have you got any strong suggestions?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.