243AI, is it dead in the water?

Correct on all accounts. Mr. Ackley was ahead of his time. Not all cartridges show significant improvement over the parent case. The .243 is one that does.
For best fireforming accuracy, it is better to buy new brass and load your bullets to touch the rifling while forming. You may be astounded at the accuracy levels!
You can use standard dies to seat the bullets initially. Afterwards, you will need to get some Ack Imp dies made to size cases and bump shoulders.

Correct on all accounts. Mr. Ackley was ahead of his time. Not all cartridges show significant improvement over the parent case. The .243 is one that does.
For best fireforming accuracy, it is better to buy new brass and load your bullets to touch the rifling while forming. You may be astounded at the accuracy levels!
You can use standard dies to seat the bullets initially. Afterwards, you will need to get some Ack Imp dies made to size cases and bump shoulders.
That's one of the bummers in the AI. The requirement for a second set of standard calibre dies just to fire form. I realize that they can be a minimalist version but it's an added cost none the less. Still not a deal breaker for me though.

That's one of the bummers in the AI. The requirement for a second set of standard calibre dies just to fire form. I realize that they can be a minimalist version but it's an added cost none the less. Still not a deal breaker for me though.

Why do you need a second set of dies?

New brass....load and shoot. I know for a fact I didn't spend more on my Ackley dies than a standard set.

Just be aware of some of the things mentioned in previous threads; mag restrictions, 40 degree shoulder may not give buttery smooth feeding, fire forming process. Make an informed decision and you wont be disappointed. Working with a Smith on one now with a 26" Rock Creek 8tw now. Hoping to get it started within the next couple of weeks. Been wanting this for a while. If it's what you want, do it and dont look back.

243 dies or use the cream of wheat method
... or

Hydroforming 8MM RM brass to .30 LARA.

8MM to .30 LARA.jpg

L-R : Virign 8MM RM brass, after hydroforming, after re-sizing die, and brass fire-formed off the chamber.

On my .270 AI, I simply have an accuracy load for .270 Win and accuracy load for .270 AI.

I've never had a problem seating forming loads with an Ackley die. This is the first time I've heard of needing the parent seater.
I like to use Redding Competition series dies. The seating die is cut to support the case like a chamber thus ensuring concentric seating. I'm sure a 243 Win case will fit the AI seating die, but I wasn't sure if guys are using 243 win seating does to mitigate for this.

I like to use Redding Competition series dies. The seating die is cut to support the case like a chamber thus ensuring concentric seating. I'm sure a 243 Win case will fit the AI seating die, but I wasn't sure if guys are using 243 win seating does to mitigate for this.
I think that is a sales pitch, no seating die really supports a case, especially the neck. You run sized or new brass in a seater die, but fired brass fits too.
You are over thinking this.

I wish I could find some rl23 for my new 300wsm, just in case rl26 doesn't work.
243 dies or use the cream of wheat method
just load an average to mild load 243 with your average bullets seated close to the lands and go plinking. The fire forming will be down easily the first time and totally finish the second time. No big deal. I took my Redding bench seater die sleeve and had my smith turn it to the AI chamber. Bought from Redding a full length bushing die. That's all that's needed. Great load. Very little case stretching after the second firing. RL23 gave me 3200FPS with 105 Bergers at .010 off. Good solid 3/8-1/2 moa. Perfect

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.