243AI, is it dead in the water?

I'm leaning more for case fill of 95%+ and worry less about specific powders for now. I am interested in the Reloader series(I've had extremely good luck with them in my other rifles) and for this gun I'd be interested in MRO, H1k and 4350 for comparison sake. Have you got any strong suggestions?
Look at rl 23 Ihave been using it for 115 and hybrid 100v for 101 hammers

These will be close to max charges, but I pay attn to pressures, case fills, of coarse speeds, amount of powder burned, and ballistic efficiency.
H1000

Attachments

• Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    24.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Capture4.PNG
    Capture4.PNG
    24.5 KB · Views: 78
Retumbo my choice.
You do not want a fast powder like H4350 with this heavy of a bullet, not a fan of RL 23, it is in RL 19 burn range, you have compromised the case by blowing it forward, no reason to hammer it again with fast powders. No clue what MRO is, Norma MRP looks like crap, as does VV N 565
My advice is to look to H1000 or retumbo.
On all these calcs, stepping up to a 28" barrel improves performance a lot

Attachments

• Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    24.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Capture4.PNG
    Capture4.PNG
    24.6 KB · Views: 67
Care to share your empirical data? Rifle data?
Peterson srp brass br4 primer45.3 gr. hybrid 100v 101 hammer hunter at .015 off lands 3188fps with a 6 es I will have to pull my other book out and find the rl 23 data will post it later this is with a 25 inch tube

Not sure how it is on your screen, but the ads block the pics on mine, when you click on the attachment, goes to black screen, there is a box above left of the X with a diagonal arrow pointing upper right, hit that

I'm not sure who has problems running a 243AI in a short action, you must have a short mag. I've got room to spare running 105s, and I throated it long to set the bullet out a bit.

I get 3280fps with 105s and Re26, 3220fps with Re22, at low pressure signs. I can press higher but these are accuracy nodes and I value case life. No standard 243 will run close to this apples to apples, I've tried.

The 243AI has a real velocity advantage and a more real advantage in case prep. I got rid of my standard 243 barrel not long after getting an AI due to the need for regular brass trimming in the standard 243Win chamber. I don't mind fireforming brass, I DO mind trimming every load or two.

Whether the 243AI or another 6mm medicine is appropriate is a trade-off and personal preference. That's why we own so many guns...If I cared about >1000-1500rd barrel life I'd shoot one with less powder capacity, less velocity, and deal with the performance difference.

I don't think it's dead at all. I am actually gonna build one in the very near future. By summer.
.243 is perfect for your needs I'd say you found what you were looking for with your first choice.
Not to hijack but while on topic. Does anyone know for sure if you can still fire factory ammo out of the .243 improved? I know most you can but just wanted to know for sure on this specific one.
Thanks
While fire forming for 243AI the accuracy is plenty good for average hunting. Once formed its an amazing cartridge. Realize it is similar to the newer designed PRC configurations. Little tapper and 40 deg shoulder.

When you guys are fire forming your AI brass, are you running a 243 Win seating die to seat to the lands or are you using factory loadings only?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.