"Yellowstone is dead" video

We see wolves on a regular basis in subdivisions now days, what remains of the deer population in some areas have fled to town to get away from the wolves.

I think the destruction of wildlife in the Park is a viable angle to work to get wolves back on the kill list, I've had a couple conversations with rabid PETA types that are all for killing the wolves after they have gone to their beloved National Park and saw no life at all left. They we're mad and wanted wolf blood, it was kinda of weird being in agreement with them! I really think there should be some kind of campaign aimed directly at the average PETA type person showing them just what has happened in the park, I think it would be effective.

Wolves are big, they take to big of a hole! Just Shoot, Shoot, Shoot, don't waste your energy shoveling just shoot a couple more!!! gun)

Sorry, not a great pic as it was a bit snow coverd. Found this last night right by our new house. I hope it is a stray dog. But not likely around here. Not a cat, had nails in most every step. Running track indicated 5 to 6 feet body.

BnG what ya think?

1297434896178Small.jpg

Broz,

Say it isn't so. Not in Townsend. There is no place left with out the scourge. You know they have the **** things in the Breaks now too. (rumor has it)

Steve

Broz,

Say it isn't so. Not in Townsend. There is no place left with out the scourge. You know they have the **** things in the Breaks now too. (rumor has it)

Steve

Just about a month ago one was sighted in the Elkhorns near Raidersberg. And yes I we have helped round up cattle last summer at a very near by ranch where the cows were ran through fences. Lots!! of fences. When we got there the cattle were all huddled up together and acting very out of charactor.

We had suspected... I am afraid they are hear.

Jeff

Any of you Montana members have any idea what finally happened to the great "Wolf Experiment" in the Bitteroot Valley in 1998 to 2000? I was living there at the time and recall how they were turning the wolves loose with a transponder collar to monitor the theory that they would seek out the most remote areas and would not be a threat to ranching or humans. The ones that I saw released were in Darby, MT and within weeks heard that the tracking collars had "quit working" and posted severe fines and jail time for anyone whacking the wolves. Rumor has it that most of the collars were found buried close to the release site. Is Fish and Game still playing with the experiment?

Sorry, not a great pic as it was a bit snow coverd. Found this last night right by our new house. I hope it is a stray dog. But not likely around here. Not a cat, had nails in most every step. Running track indicated 5 to 6 feet body.

BnG what ya think?

1297434896178Small.jpg

It's hard to make out but toe separation up front looks a little of, the track looks a little square to me. The two things I look for between a lion track and a wolf track are the heal print and the way they walk over a distance, lions will leave claw marks sometimes in the bottom of the track but if the claw mark comes from the top of the snow to the bottom of the track then it's a canine.
Cat tracks have a small "W" shape to the back of the back pad canines just have a round humps in the back of the pad. Cats walk in a close, wandery, in line type trail dogs have two lines of tracks farther apart and in straighter lines when walking. A lions toes are rounder and more evenly spaced around the track while a wolf will usually show oval toes with the two up front fairly close then the two of the side. Can't really tell by the pic for sure kinda leaning to dogish type thing, get a laser on it and let us know gun)

I would urge all of you to contact your congressman and senator to support congress woman Lumis's bill EAJA -2010, which would open up the amount of money given by US to environmental causes. The EAJA is a fund that is given to them to pay cost's of lawsuits that enviro's bring to stop such things as wolf de-listing. The EAJA, Equal Access to Justice Act was set up to help the average citizen in a court battle with the U.S. Gov't., but has been corrupted by our opponents. The EAJA currently does not have to report or divulge how much money goes to the enviro's, but Lummis's bill would open the accounting to the public and exposr the "anti's" for what they are, not
'for the wildlife and environment", but BIG BUSINESS !

Thanks BnG, I have hunted enough lions to know it was not a cat. Nails were there every step and it was not a rounded track. I thought it looked a little dogy too. But it was just to big for a dog I thought. This morning I was talking to the ranch manager and he told me a neighbor in that direction seen 4 wolves 1 mile north of where I saw this track. That pretty much sums it up I guess. Also there had been a pretty large herd of elk wintering in that area. They moved out 2 days ago and I wondered why...:rolleyes:

I will be a lookin.

Jeff gun)gun)

They moved out 2 days ago and I wondered why...:rolleyes:

I will be a lookin.

Jeff gun)gun)

Anymore in some of the areas I hunt you can drive the roads and see if you find any wolf tracks and if not it's GTG elk hunting, if you find a pack gun) or go over to the other side of their territory and hunt elk cause that's were they will be!! Since you can wack coyotes at 1000+yrds now you should give a wolf a 1400yrd head start just to make it interesting :D
That would be on heck of a big dog, Great Puranies will leave tracks that are spot on for a wolf and we have a bunch of them around here. But once they are about the size of your hand only one thing out there with that big of paws!!

That would be on heck of a big dog, Great Puranies will leave tracks that are spot on for a wolf and we have a bunch of them around here. But once they are about the size of your hand only one thing out there with that big of paws!!

No GP's around here. Only dog in that area I could think of belongs to the neighbor that seen the pack. He mentioned he was keeping his dog in now.

Depressing to think about for sure.

Jeff

I grew up in West Yellowstone, and I remember before the wolves were reintroduced, we almost hit a black wolf in the park on our way from there to Bozeman. It makes me wonder, if they cannot even keep track of the when they arent supposed to be in there how can they control or eve know how many are actually there?....makes me angry. Two years, going up to hunt on the north side of Hebgan, we had six wolves in front of us running up the two track.

What are we to do? I tell everyone I know, they tell everyone they know.Yet nothing ever happens. Id love to go big Coyote hunting if anyone is game. My dad n I saw a big black one following elk tracks last fall. How can you compete with that? We followed wolf tracks year before last too n never saw an elk track.
You go down by Gardner and see little to no elk at all anymore.Very Very Sad
Wyoming and Idaho are ignoring the law but nnnooooooo Montana and Gov Shwitslicker do not. Their workin on it their workin on it is all you ever hear. I want problem solved

The biggest thing you can do right now is go to this thread I posted http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f86/wolf-management-update-now-time-67970/#post472661 and send an e-mail to your elected officials regarding the 2 new bills in congress that will finish this mess and give the management rights to the States for good. It is fully automated and takes less than a minute to identity your officials and send the e-mail. This organization, biggameforever.org, isn't just a bunch of good intentioned locals with no understanding of what it takes to fight this battle but instead is a group that understands what is needed to win this fight.

Then forward the link to everyone you know that cares about this wolf issue.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f86/wolf-management-update-now-time-67970/#post472661

Scot E I did. Thank You!

A handicapped customer of ours shoots from the truck for elk and such. When they had a season for wolves a year ago here he told me he got a tag. He said he was shooting for guts. Lets em run off n die. After a few he said he would tag one. I thought that was the coolest thing ever!

I never got a tag that year. I didnt think I could ever get close to one to shoot it. All sorts of people got tags and only 70? shot. Knowing what I know now I would have gone out n filled the tag in a couple days or had a blast doing some LRH! I would have spent every waking moment guiding friends to get one too. Too little to late now.

What do you guys think, should we have a big coyote derby?lol

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.