.243 Win. vs 6mm Creed.

Small Caliber Shootout

• #1 choice - 243 Win.

Votes: 139 60.2%
  • #2 choice - 6mm Creed.

Votes: 99 42.9%

• Total voters
Never had a .243 Winchester, didn't really care for the old cartridge design (and why is it always said a muzzle brake "will make it feel like a .243" if you never shouldered one?! That's for another time.) so I built me a 6mm Creedmoor and I'm completely satisfied with it's performance with 110SMK and have some A-Tips on the way.
Did u do your 6 creed as an AR platform or bolt rig? I am thinking of building an AR rig in 22 creed or 6 creed as I got a ton of brass, think it would be fun!

Don't have any experience with the 6 creed (it's on the short list) but I'm not a fan of the 243, not that it isn't a capable round I've just had bad experiences with both finding a loading that worked and terminal ballistics.
I don't think you can go wrong with a Savage or RPR, both generally will just plain shoot. Another option that you should look at is a Bergara, they come in comparable in price point to the RPR and are phenomenal shooters.

Nice brother. I know some dudes that are savage die hards and I have seen them shoot some nasty groups! Just do some research there are couple of options!

Mine shoot Nasty groups for sure. Got an FCP-SR in .308 from the days before Savage caved to the PC police and ditched the Indian head logo. Also got two 110 Predators in .204 and 6.5-284. The Norma is a custom build from the Savage Custom Shop with a 26" medium profile stainless fluted barrel. I'd recommend them if you want a custom 6 creed that won't break the bank but shoots light out. Price was reasonable and lead time is 8 to 10 weeks.

Or if u want to go unique I still got that full RPR build with proof barrel, seekins rail, seekins stock, timney etc in 6 creed listed! And she is covered in stripper camo!
91472AD9-2696-44F6-8A88-92F9BA21DB15.jpeg
9A28AE27-4F47-4D3B-BF6C-CB8884A20BF4.jpeg
E0F28715-E778-4EA4-B31F-00896A421699.jpeg

In my mind it's a really easy choice. I'll take a 243 Win over a 6 CM all day long.

Advantages of 243 Win:
Tiny touch faster.
Way more availability
A gazillion pet loads
Factory ammo available EVERYWHERE
Equally accurate
No case forming required
Lapua brass available
More factory rifle choices available

6 CM advantages:
Pretty much equal performance
Other advantages all in your head

Now, if you wanted to open up your options, you could consider the 6BR, the 6PPC, and a plethora of other smaller sweeter 6's.

I like 6mm so I have a 243 rifle and encore pistol plus 6 creedmoor, 6xc and 6 BR. Al shoot extremely accurate. Also a 6x45.

Last edited:
Small Caliber Shootout : Which one do you prefer and why ?
I have 4 different 243s And 0 creedmore's. So I might be a little biased but I am biased due to experience with the 243 and the ballistics. If you are shooting in the real world which means not knowing your distance and not knowing the wind drift you want a flat shooting bullet. Heavy bullets heavy bullet blah blah blah. Speed kills. Hornet I factory ammo out of a 26" barrel 58 green V maxes are over 4000' per 2nd period how far do you really shoot? With a 1 in 10 twist my gun shoots quarter inch groups and I've killed prairie dogs out to 800 yd. Small Arizona prairie dogs the size of ground squirrels. Show me a 6.5 creedmore bullet that can vaporize something like a 58 gravy Max . So you're building a gun that might cost 1500 or 2000 or $3000 or more why not be able to use it for varmint hunting and big game hunting? You're not gonna shoot 200 rounds of 300 rounds to 6.5 creedmore at unknown distances for very long. Ooops, my bad...you asked about 6mm creedmore!!! F you're not worried about reloading my nod would go to the 243 Ackley improved. Grasses cheaper you can shoot regular to 40 3:00 a.m. with nearly the same accuracy often times and you can get another 100 to 200' per 2nd out of it. For velocity I think the nod has to go to the 243 and variants. Their wish you had the common sense to stake with a 6 mm bullet. The 6.5 is great for a purpose but it belongs in a 264 win mag!

6XC Varmintmaster with .22-250 Mk take barrel 028.jpg
6mmXC Wby Varmintmaster top .224 Wby Mag Vamintmaster bottom 001.jpg
I've always been a big 6mm fan, starting back in the 244/6mm Rem days along with the 243 Win and the outstanding .240 Wby Mag then later the .243 WSSM.... (the .243 WSSM was one of my 1K competition rifles.) I picked the 243 Win in the vote because I have no real experience with the 6mm CM. With that said; my final 6mm is the 6XC with a 1-8 twist 26" polygonal due to the length of the magazine in my rifle of choice; the scaled down and discontinued (mistake on their part) Weatherby MkV'...," Varmitmaster" which started life as a .22-250 Rem, actually and bought a matching pair; one in a .224 Wby Mag the other in the .22-250 but I digress. So, I pulled the barrel off the .22-250 Rem which was still good and had Pac Nor put on a 6XC with the same exact contour so as not to touch the channel in the stock this way I could put the original barrel back on; anyway'.., the 6XC shoots up to 105gr bullets and is a tack driver with everything from 75grs to 105gr it may job was Deer and Coyotes.

I don't often become advocate for 6mm cases as I don't hunt 'yotes or varmints. I have waited for a long distance, high B.C. 257" bullet for at least 35 years and it is awesome. The 131grain ACE by Blackjack completes the vacuum in between 6 & 6.5 mm bullets. It will outperform both in same size cases. I will never need anything beyond .257" or 7mm guns for what I hunt for, and that is only if I get lucky and get an elk stamp to use my 7mm Rem Mag. The 25x47, 25 XC, 25 Creedmoor, 257 Roberts AI, and 25 SST doesn't leave anything else to the imagination as far as medium game needs. The outstanding long distance accuracy and low felt recoil is unmatched by other current Wildcats, and this is just the beginning to bring the quarter-bore to the forefront. I used to talk about 6mm accuracy, as I liked the recoil too. Now, it seems that is only a fig-newton of my imagination as past memories of obsolete technology has been surpassed with a wide margin. That is, until the next great bullet is perfected !

I have 4 different 243s And 0 creedmore's. So I might be a little biased but I am biased due to experience with the 243 and the ballistics. If you are shooting in the real world which means not knowing your distance and not knowing the wind drift you want a flat shooting bullet. Heavy bullets heavy bullet blah blah blah. Speed kills. Hornet I factory ammo out of a 26" barrel 58 green V maxes are over 4000' per 2nd period how far do you really shoot? With a 1 in 10 twist my gun shoots quarter inch groups and I've killed prairie dogs out to 800 yd. Small Arizona prairie dogs the size of ground squirrels. Show me a 6.5 creedmore bullet that can vaporize something like a 58 gravy Max . So you're building a gun that might cost 1500 or 2000 or $3000 or more why not be able to use it for varmint hunting and big game hunting? You're not gonna shoot 200 rounds of 300 rounds to 6.5 creedmore at unknown distances for very long. Ooops, my bad...you asked about 6mm creedmore!!! F you're not worried about reloading my nod would go to the 243 Ackley improved. Grasses cheaper you can shoot regular to 40 3:00 a.m. with nearly the same accuracy often times and you can get another 100 to 200' per 2nd out of it. For velocity I think the nod has to go to the 243 and variants. Their wish you had the common sense to stake with a 6 mm bullet. The 6.5 is great for a purpose but it belongs in a 264 win mag!
You are right brother on the speed kills shooting those little light weight bullets however it all depends on what the OPs intended purpose is with this rifle. Few things to look at here when deciding this which way to go. This is just a few simple numbers I ran.
1000 yds with your 58 gr Vmax now this is run using Litz real world numbers at your 4000 FPS just as an estimate. MOA correction at 1K 25.5, 500 yds is 6 now the doozy is wind with just a say steady 5 mph 9 to 3 at 1k is 6 moa. Compare that to a 105 grain using Litz real BC and we will do rough estimate of 3100 at 1K is 23.5 minutes and at 500 is 8 and wind correction with same wind is 3. So if you are hunting yotes or Pdogs epically within say 800 for sure your speed kills theory is absolutely correct but if the intended purpose is say ringing steel at 1k and out especially if you having some wind that speed don't do nothing but kill barrel then as that much higher BC will take over! At 1200 that ol 58 gr bullet takes about 41.7 minutes vs the 32 minutes on the 105. They both have their place no doubt.

6CM hands down! Perfect transition from 6.5CM, we use lightweight Hardy Carbon Fiber wrapped bull Barrels, 7 Twist, Timney Calvin Elite Riggers, Bernard/Bergara/Ruger Actions, DPT & Hardy Suppressors, pretty much exclusively shoot 110SMKs and 108ELDM all 4 shooting SRH @ 100, here are a few of our rifles.
upload_2019-6-19_5-11-29.jpeg