Hotrod-ed 6.5 Creed Vs Slow 270 win

I have run Superformance in the last two 6.5CMs I have worked up loads for. 20" barrel saw 2790 with the 143ELD-X . 24" barrel just hit 2966 with the 143ELD-X with no pressure. Recoil is a pussycat in a sub-9# rifle. I can stay on target at 200 yards.

That being said, you should be able to hit 3100fps with a .270Win & 140 HVLD.

If you want less recoil, shoot a lighter bullet, like a 120 TTSX or 130 HVLD in either rifle.

500 yards isn't extreme in the least, but why hobble yourself by running a hunting bullet that far below max speed? Speed kills.

Actually just found some Bergara Ridge's at a local store (24" threaded # 5 tapered barrel) that I think I could get 2800-2850 from a 140 and 2900-2950 with a 130 before I max out on pressure

It's possible with rl-26. I've done it but I backed it off because it made me nervous. Settled on 2945fps
So you're saying your were pretty much over pressure. I'd still like to see actual proof of people getting over 3000 without pressure. Lots of keyboard warriors claim all kinds of stuff but never actually back it up.

I think the 270 will always have more recoil than the Creedmoor, because it has to burn more powder - which is largely what generates the recoil.
The Creedmoor is low recoiling partly because it is very efficient and only needs ~40gr of powder (versus the 270 @ 50-55gr).

I bow to all of the above. I started out with a cheap TC Compass in 6.5, which had a 9# trigger. I had my Gun Smith remove the springs and install new ones, to 3# pull. Then started reloading and fell into a load with PVI 120gr. HP bullets that shoots consistently @ .34 or better 3 shot groups. Being really surprised at the accuracy, I found a new Savage Axis 24" HB and w/accurate trigger, which I bought with 6 assorted bullet weights, 120gr. to 142gr., Dies, and 100 each rounds of Hornady and Lapau brass, and it is getting down to the .45 area @ 100 with my loadings. Now, I am looking at the different AR type bolt rifles, but not sure which 1 to purchase....Love the 6.5 CR, 6.5X55 Tikka, and .260

So you're saying your were pretty much over pressure. I'd still like to see actual proof of people getting over 3000 without pressure. Lots of keyboard warriors claim all kinds of stuff but never actually back it up.
No sticky bolt lift or ejector marks. Primers looked slightly flat but not excessive. Believe what you want I'm just saying it can be done. It averaged 3014 fps. 49 grains of rl-26 with a wlr primer set .005 off the lands with a 140 eld-match. It's all the powder I could get in without a drop tube. It was more or less the thought of a creedmoor actually pushing a 140 that fast and not see pressure that I couldn't get past. That and i had a better accuracy node when i backed off to 48 grains. Believe me I would've told anyone else they were on crack until I tried it for myself.

500 yards? There isn't a Nats left toe difference between every option offered. Ballistically anyhow. No wrong choice here. Just trade off. Hasstle and cost vs top end speed.

2700 FPS with a 140 is a creedmoor in a factory load. Easily duplicated with h4350 and Hornady 140 eld or 143 edx ... Based off wound channels I've seen I would go 140 in the creedmoor because of its speed range. The 143 is a little more robust for the 6.5-284 speeds. Both knock them down like Thor's hammer. 500+ yds. I would feel good much further than that depending on the wind.

270 would do the same.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.