.243 Win. vs 6mm Creed.

Small Caliber Shootout

• #1 choice - 243 Win.

Votes: 139 60.2%
  • #2 choice - 6mm Creed.

Votes: 99 42.9%

• Total voters
I own both and love both calibers. I had my 6 creed built because I had a donor short action. Was originally gonna go .243AI but didn't want to single feed or spend the money at the time to open the mag up and go with a Wyatts magazine.....(At the time... It now has that...) So I thought what the hell, 6x47 or 6 creed. I chose the creed because I could get more speed out of it. Not much, but enough. I'm by no means "brain washed" nor do I think I can shoot out to 5000' without dialing. I like to shoot long range, and with that, my 243 is a bone stock 1-10" twist. It's a hunting rifle with no frills. I had my 6 creed built to shoot heavier bullets at long range. Its also a twin to my 7mm practical spiral flutes and all! Not everybody's cup of tea but, my money, my build, my rifle.........

Last edited:
I was a die hard .243 Win. for small animals and Varmint Target shooting until I was introduced to the Savage 110 Desert Tactical Rifle in a 6mm Creed.
Now all I've been shooting and reloading is the 6mm Creed.
I will always have a .243 and still think it's a great cartridge.

My gun club hosted a LR shoot yesterday. I brought my 6mm Creedmoor to test accuracy out to 1000 yards. After successfully punching metal to 1000 I attempted 1350 yards. Success. And surprise. Then I attempted 1741 (almost a mile) and to my surprise successfully struck my target. Here's the scoop on my set up:

Seekins Havak Pro Hunter 6mm creedmoor, Burris XTR2 4-20x50, Hornady Match 108 gr. Ammo. Yes, factory ammo @ a mile.

6mm CM has serious accuracy potential.

I have handloaded the .243 Win for decades and the 6mm Remington as well. As a handloader, I appreciate the longer neck of the 6mm Creedmore. It serves as a heat sink, reducing heat damage to the critical forward part of the chamber. The 6mm Creedmore also has the accuracy encouraging one and a half degree ramp on the leade. The older .243 Winchester design has a 3 degree leade. Since its introduction, the .243 Winchester has always had complaints about barrel life, that the longer necked 6mm cases extend.

I'm a 243 guy from way back. But when the barrel goes on this one it will be replaced with 6creed just because of all the brass options out there.

I like the 243. I had 3 different ones over the years, I end up selling or trading them.
I traded a Remington a couple years ago, so I was looking for another one.
Weatherby Advertised the Model 307, 243 with 7.5twt so I had to get one. It is a good shooter. But a few years back I did pick up a 6 creed just to see what all the commotion was about. It's a shooter also, but I will always have a 243. My vote is 243..👍🎅

You may want to throw a 6 XC into the choice, lot longer barrel life than the 243 or 6 Creed. If you want to go whole hog, then a 243 AI or a 6 Rem AI. A pard is shooting the 105g Berger hunting into very tiny groups with the 6 Rem AI, may say it can't be done, but I have shot the gun over a chronograph....N160.

John Whidden has sat more than a few records with his 243 Winchester.

I
Apologies in advance for resurrecting an old thread but Tikka has some T3x 243s with 8 twist barrels. If I can get an 8 twist barrel 243 Tikka, is there any benefit of a 6mm Creedmoor? I'm assuming with an 8 twist, I can load the 108 ELD-Ms.
Im pretty happy with that Tikka I picked up. The 105amax is seated long enough that I think I'll get some decent performance out of it. I will be loading some powder charges to try this weekend if time allows. Also gonna get some 108s for poops and giggles.

However after spending the last couple days browsing factory ammo options the 6cm wins hands down (which I already knew but just confirmed). Heaviest I found was soft point 100g. If you want any decent factory support go 6cm. If you don't care and only will hand load I'd be hard pressed to pass on the tikka.

I like my 6mm Credlemore because I can buy small rifle primers & SW4350 at my LGS. Looks like I might need to neck down, FF, & turn .260 SRP brass for happy .243W shots.

You may want to throw a 6 XC into the choice, lot longer barrel life than the 243 or 6 Creed. If you want to go whole hog, then a 243 AI or a 6 Rem AI. A pard is shooting the 105g Berger hunting into very tiny groups with the 6 Rem AI, may say it can't be done, but I have shot the gun over a chronograph....N160.

John Whidden has sat more than a few records with his 243 Winchester.
240 Weatherby ❗😃