270 WSM. vs. 243 Win. for kid

Thanks, I do reload and already have tons of .243 bullets and equipment, so I don't think I'd go to the 260. I found a used 7 in 243 with Leupold vx2 3-9x40 for$800

I too was looking for a .243W YOUTH MOD. for me first then the GD or vice-versa. An old local Gunsmith told me not to get a mod 7 {junk-junk}, but the Rem mod 700 was ok. One of the local wally worlds had 3 of the .243s in stock NIB. One mod 7 and 2 were mod 700s. I purchased the Rem youth 700 ADL 20" 9.125 twist with the Limbsaver type buttplate and NEW X type trigger on it for $398.00.
It has a $3 'brand R' 3x9-40 scope, so I can put my VX III on it and have a good midrange tool.

NIB is worth thinking about. You will know how many down the tube for sure. Dang, the R700 action sure is crap compared to my T-3 SS Lite 338WM that only cost me $525 NIB in 2008. Hope I at least got what I paid for! You have to remember that the wally-world guns are most times a SPECIAL RUN at the MFG. with all the corners cut so they both can make a profit.:rolleyes:

Good luck.

An old local Gunsmith told me not to get a mod 7 {junk-junk},

Really?

I guess my Model Seven in .260 that put three rounds at 100 yards into 0.174" is junk. Gosh, I guess I got hosed when I bought this rifle that's lower quality than a Hi Point 9mm. I'm screwed, the deer aren't going to die when I shoot them this year, if I even get a shot because I have to pray and hope my rifle doesn't fall apart on me when I get it out of the case and expose it to a light breeze, darkness followed by sunlight, temperatures potentially lower than the 68* in my house, pollen, dried leaves, or heaven forbid...even a drop of rain or flakes of snow. I really hope this thing holds together.

:rolleyes:

You should find a new smith. Lots of people successfully hunt with Model Sevens. Lots of people have had junk M700s that need worked over before they'll shoot well.

I love the 1 in a million example of any model isn't up to par and suddenly the entire line is junk.

And good Lord, how did the 1911 stay in production for over 100 years?

lightbulb

Well most gunsmiths I know have pretty strong opinions but there is not a thing wrong with a model 7.

Bobby Hart thinks they are pretty good. I've had my model 7 16+ years with no issues. Bobby is the one that recommended it to me. The only improvement they need is a stock bedding job. I'm talking about the older ones. Not sure about current issues. The older ones are nicer looking with fewer tool marks and nicer wood. The older ones had much more hand work and were even produced in the custom shop for a while.

Anyway, someone out there have any feedback on the Brownings?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.