243 to 6mm creedmoor

Matt Craig

What would have to be done to do this conversion on a tikka t3x? Would it be a huge hassle? I ask due to the barrel being the same. Or would i be better off buying a new barrel?

Just to do something a little different, thought about buying one factory made but prefer Tikkas or Sakos to anything else. I only use my rifles to hunt and plink around. Don't need to convert it as i know there is no real difference when it comes to hunting whitetail. Its just something to do.

I'm no expert; talk to a gun builder. I'm having a new Remington 700 in .243 re-chambered in .243 AI. Cutting, re-threading, and re-chambering the factory barrel is costing me less than half the price of a new match barrel. I'll rebarrel when I shoot the factory barrel out ... and then decide if I want to do another .243 AI or switch to 6mm CM.

Re-barrel would definitely be easier for a Smith to do. I don't know what your current twist rate is but, if considering going to a Creedmoor, I would definitely look at the 7 and 8 twist rates to take advantage of the heavier/higher bc bullets.

Just buy my Remington 700 in 6 Creedmoor. It's a turn key package less the scope. Ready to go.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.