270 WSM. vs. 243 Win. for kid

My son took his .243 to Africa last may. Killed 3 impala, 1 springbuck and a Bushbuck with 1 shot. He also killed 2 Lechwe in 1 shot with the .243. The guide said to shoot and he did just as a young Lechwe jumped in front the big bull. Complete pass through on both animals! Neck only on the younger one. Barnes 80 gr. TTSX. Depends on what what you like. Bruce

Don't tell people that! You could be sitting on a pile of dead animals and someone will come by and tell you they could have been killed deader with something bigger and better.

You guys that think a 270wsm has too much kick are nuts. Do the math, a 130 gr bullet with an 8 pound rifle has 16 pounds of recoil, the 243 with a 90 gr bullet has 13 pounds. 3 pounds is nothing and you could load it down to 13 pounds. Yes, I understand that you could load the 243 down even further to probably 8 or 9 pounds but a girl that is 5'3'' and a 125 lbs can handle 13 pounds of recoil. Shoot, my sister that weighs 105 shoots my Allen Mag all the time. For the guy that got scoped by a 270 wsm, check your eye relief. Hold onto that rifle a little bit because with a rifle that has less than 20 lbs of recoil you should not have a problem getting scoped. Not trying to be rude but that's just how it is.

IDK but I have figured the recoil on mine at over 24#. A 243 has much less recoil compared to a 270WSM. Close to one third the recoil. I calculated it at less than 8# with a 85g at 3300fps. I shoot a 165g at 3000+fps(24# recoil) out of the WSM and an 85g at 3300fps(7.5# recoil) out of the 243. 130's come out over 3300fps(21# recoil). A 243 will push a 100g at 3000fps(8# recoil).I have 2 270 WSM's and 2 243's. There is NO comparison for recoil. A regular 270 has twice as much recoil as a 243.

My Kimber weighs less than an honest 8# scoped(6# 10oz bare). Most 243's are heavier.

I don't know where you got your numbers but obviously you have not shot a light 270wsm. I have a M70 300WSM featherweight that kicks less with 165's.

BTW most times when I get hit is from out of position shots while not holding the forearm in free recoil., None of my loads have less than 20# of recoil.I also have a bad shoulder with a permanently broken collar bone that is not attached that has something to do with it. It doesn't leave a scope cut above my eye it hits the bridge of my nose.My buddy's 300rum doesn't get me but it weighs 9.5+# and doesn't jump as much(over 30# recoil)

It all depends on her recoil sensitivity. If she can handle it, I'd recommend the .270 WSM and start with lighter loads as BNG suggested. Flinching is bad "juju" on any caliber esp. for a new shooter/hunter.

With proper introduction, training, and equipment, it is possible that she can handle the heavier caliber rifle or larger like this 9 year old girl taking a brute brown bear with a .375 H&H and 270gr Barnes triple-shock ...

BEAR HUNTING MAGAZINE | The Bear Hunting AUTHORITY!

Now The Rest Of The Story About The Record Breaking Brown Bear - Black Bear Blog

Good luck and thanks for passing on the shooting/hunting tradition to your daughter!

Ed

Last edited:
I've been surrounded by gals my whole life, sisters, daughters, granddaughters. The only males in my household have been my gun dogs, and sometimes I wondered about them. My advice would be, if you haven't already, is to see how she does with your rifle before you buy her one. Temperament and desire are the primary factors. Last season had a young gal, 14 years old, 100 pounds soaking wet, take a Mulie out with her Rem 700, no brake, 7mmMag at 225 yards. She handled that rifle, her first, like she had been shooting it for years. Also, out shot her father at sight in. Years ago when youngsters, one of my daughters would have no part of shooting my 22Kit gun, had to shoot my 1911 45 ACP. A great shot too! My other daughter, no way. She preferred, the CO2 pistol. I would personally select a more manageable caliber like a 243, .260, 7mm08, in a well fitting rifle. BUT, of far greater importance is including her in the process of selection. She will take ownership of the decision. It may make a big difference in how she takes to the sport. Whoever said, men are from Mars, women are from Venus, was a pretty smart dude. IMHO.

For what it's worth my 130# 13 year old son shot my full tilt 270wsm loads in a Abolt stalker once. His response said it all when I asked if he was shooting another shot. WOW! no thanks. But it's a light rifle and near max loads w/140's. But you can load it down especially since your range is short and use 110 Sierra gk's.
Also if you buy the Browning you can get a voucher for full length stock when she grows out of the youth stock. It was listed on there home page. So, there are options you'll need to weigh.

Gene

Thanks for all of great info. The .308 model Seven I have is under 7 lbs with the scope. Recoil with 110gr bullets loaded down is bearable, but I don't want to cause her to start flinching. The rifle I get her will also be that light. What about loading the .270 wsm with a 6.8 lighter hunting bullet at velocities just over the 6.8 to start? If you use a 100gr bullet @ 3200fps the recoil should be barely more than the 243. Then if we draw an elk tag I can load it up. Hart has a hunting brake that is a little less noisy and still works. She got her first deer this year with my old 788 .243, but she can't hold the rifle up and has to use a bipod or rest because it's about 9lbs with scope. The 788 is a great rifle, just really heavy. Thanks again.

My vote would be for a .243. I own both and hunt quite a bit with my 270 wsm but just think for starting out given the parameters you set the .243 would be a great rifle for her. It is also easier to find a wide variety of reasonably priced factory ammo in the 243.

I started my son with one (.243 weatherby vanguard) and he hunts deer, antelope, and coyotes and as he grew he has stuck with it rather than bumping up to a larger caliber. He just really likes the rifle and feels comfortable with it.

I lean smaller not knowing recoil sensitivity of a person. This is a topic I have never fully understood. I have never had a problem with recoil at anytime but know full grown men that complain about a 25-06 while I have seen some petite women handle some very large calibers without any problem.

I would also consider rebarreling my 308 model seven if the 270 wsm works out
Is that a recommended rebarrel? I have heard on here that a lot of people prefer an intermediate or long action to do the rebarrel from a standard cartridge to a magnum, even if they are both short actions. Now is that because they can put longer bullets in, or due to the increased pounding of the magnum round? That I'm not sure

The Model Seven is factory chambered for the 270WSM. I think to get the most out of the round they are seating the bullets pretty far out which means they won't fit in the Model Seven's magazine. If I seat the bullets in my .308 out to .010 from the lands they will not fit in the mag now. I am not worried too much about wringing every last fps out of it

My main goal is to get an accurate rifle that will last her a lifetime and take anything we want to hunt without punishing her with recoil. Has anyone here expiramented with loading the 270wsm down to 3000 fps for a 100-120 gr bullet?

After most of the comments I'm leaning back to a .243. Now it's Model 7 vs. Browning Micro x or a bolt? Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Chris

At that range, another vote for .260. It's also going to be enough gun should she decide she wants to start shooting farther. The .260 should buck the wind better and carry more energy than the .243. Hardly kicks more (if at all) than a .30-30. However, a lot of guys I hunt with like the .243 for it's flat shooting and they don't reload, so they can get it off the shelf.

I have one in a Model Seven and it's just under 8 lbs scoped. I certainly wouldn't want to start a kid/new shooter/new hunter out on something that may induce flinching early on in practice session.

Thanks, I do reload and already have tons of .243 bullets and equipment, so I don't think I'd go to the 260. I found a used 7 in 243 with Leupold vx2 3-9x40 for$800

Thanks, I do reload and already have tons of .243 bullets and equipment, so I don't think I'd go to the 260. I found a used 7 in 243 with Leupold vx2 3-9x40 for$800

Should be an awesome deer slayer and one that won't scare the kid half to death every time she starts to squeeze the trigger.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.