.243 Win. vs 6mm Creed.

Small Caliber Shootout

• #1 choice - 243 Win.

Votes: 139 60.2%
  • #2 choice - 6mm Creed.

Votes: 99 42.9%

• Total voters
I'm leaning towards the TC Encore in .243 because all of the different caliber barrels available and it has a 28" heavy barrel , I will be using it primarily as a Benchrest Target Rifle

Encore is probably the worst Benchrest/Target rifle. You'll have to break the action and reset the rifle completely everytime you squeeze the trigger. The Savage would make a better rifle for what you want even though I hate the magazine, it'll ride the bipod or bags much better.

I also forgot to mention you can change Savage barrels easily and often time for less money than the Encore even with buying the tools. The 28" Encore barrel won't be any advantage over the 26" on the Savage. Just remember accuracy over velocity every time, if you get both it is just a bonus.

I have bought a 26" 1:9 3 grove SS I will put on it and load up to the 108's mabey 115's.

I asked about twists in my 243 thread a few weeks back and one member chimed in with this....

Bought a ruger American compact ss/243 ,18.5 inch bbl 1/9 tw it will Not stabilize any bullet over 100 grains .

Now will the extra fps of the 26" barrel be the difference? Maybe someone else has the experience to answer that....

In grand scheme of things buying brass and dies isn't that expensive. Maybe it's just me but when I was shooting a 243 it seemed I had to trim brass alot. I think the 6creed case design might mitigate having to trim so often and for that reason alone I would go creed. Does anyone else find 243 case grows in length quickly compared to cartridges with sharper shoulders?

I really don't have an opinion as I have no experience with the Creedmore. I have lots of experience with .243 Win. and 6mm Rem. Love them both and have had great results hunting with them from prairie dogs to mule deer primarily shooting 85 grain pills. Shoot 6.5 in the Creedmore and love it to. Guess in reality I just love them all !

I'm leaning towards the TC Encore in .243 because all of the different caliber barrels available and it has a 28" heavy barrel , I will be using it primarily as a Benchrest Target Rifle
I've had TC Contenders, G2's and Encores since I was 18. They are fun. Addictive and you keep buying new barrels in different calibers ! I've never found them to be as accurate as a good bolt gun in same caliber. I have 28 in. Hunter barrels in 308. 6.5 Creed. and 243. I know I have others but can't remember right now except a 20 in. 460 S&W. I have bolt guns in the first 3 also. I just had a 27 in. 6.5 PRC barrel made from MGM. 1 in. full bull SS w/integral brake. Its a shooter and heavy ! I just had it spiral fluted . Shaved 6 oz..i think if you are going for MOA you would be better off with bolt rifle. I know some TC's shoot dam good. My 6.5 Creed does but I think it's mainly cause of caliber.And my reloads of course :)

Man I have to agree if u rolling primarily for steel, target shooter I would definelty def not opt for a encore. I would def get the savage and get all the stuff u need and u can still get different barrels and do it all yourself, beauty of the ol barrel nut setup!

And both of these would be little bit better option if your decide on 243. That LRP is legit and they have the red accutrigger and come with a great stock. The other is the varmint model.
EC241953-260F-4E57-9280-A2A36AED34E6.png
AF2A33B8-DC93-4B1E-AF37-BB7BAC4B4697.png

I am pretty invested in .243 and .243 Ackley and really like them both. Were I looking for my first 6mm, I'd probably go with the Creedmoor given the case design and its growing availability. But I don't see sufficient advantage over the .243 to switch, and the CM can't touch the Ackley.

I've had TC Contenders, G2's and Encores since I was 18. They are fun. Addictive and you keep buying new barrels in different calibers ! I've never found them to be as accurate as a good bolt gun in same caliber. I have 28 in. Hunter barrels in 308. 6.5 Creed. and 243. I know I have others but can't remember right now except a 20 in. 460 S&W. I have bolt guns in the first 3 also. I just had a 27 in. 6.5 PRC barrel made from MGM. 1 in. full bull SS w/integral brake. Its a shooter and heavy ! I just had it spiral fluted . Shaved 6 oz..i think if you are going for MOA you would be better off with bolt rifle. I know some TC's shoot dam good. My 6.5 Creed does but I think it's mainly cause of caliber.And my reloads of course :)
Are all of the TC Encore barrels heavy contour ?

Hard to beat a 243, for hunting and plinking. Cheap ammo. Lots of inexpensive rifles out there. Accurate and easy to reload for. Really good option for a kid. 6 CM seems set up for long distance and would best serve that but getting good at that is hard work, fun hard work.