243. win for varmints and coyotes!

You made some very good points. The 204 does have some advantages including the bullets destroy them selves if you miss. Will use the gun for wood chucks just as much as yotes.

I use a 243 win sometimes for varmints also. It's not a expensive setup do to the fact I use it for 1/5 of all groundhog kills in the summer (estimated) I have a Rossi Trifecta (243, 22, and 20 gauge, all interchangeable barrels) topped with a bushnell straight 10x. I have found out it shoots way farther then my 223 and contains way more energy, and shoots way more accurate. I'm also in the market for a new 243 rifle as I want to use for strictly varmints. I'm looking at the tc venture (~$500 msrp) and I'm planning on putting a Nikon monarch 5 4.5-14x42 scope on it.

If not reloading and shooting factory ammo is the 243 still a good varmit/ White tail deer rifle?
Yes there are some pretty good to very good factory loads for the 243 for both varmints and Deer/pronghorn hunting. The federal 70gn bt shoots very well in the 4 243's in the safe. Even the a1 shoots this into less than 3/4 moa. The kids rifles all do alittle better when the driver does his job. 3 savages and 1 winchester. The ai is also a model 70

I've shot a 22-250 for 15 years or so. Great cartridge. I've shot piles of coyotes and prairie dogs with it. I have this barrel nearly shot out and will go with an 8 twist next barrel for higher BC bullets.
I shot a .243 for several years as well. Another great round. I used that rifle for above-timberline marmots. It shot 58 gr Vmax's at 3800 fps and was very accurate with that bullet.
On the flip side I shot a really big mountain goat with it using a factory load with 90 gr Fusion bullets.
I have known a few guys who shot elk with a .243. Very versatile round.

My long range varmint gun is a 7 mag shooting 180 gr Berger VLD's

It's funny after 5-6 years after posting this thread I've gone through s couple. 22-250 is still one I haven't touched. I started with the 243. Win in an sps varmint, dropped the stock for an hs and swapped triggers for a timney. Thing shot 80 gr soft points into .4's all day. Unfortunately I got the itch for a 6.5 so I sold it to my younger brother and got a custom 260. Rem put together. During the mean time I was doing load development on my uncles browning a-bolt medallion in 223. Rem which was a nice little gun for walking, and my old mans Remington sps stainless in 204 Ruger. I fell in love with that cartridge after that. My dad only recently got the gun back cause I liked it so much. I also picked up a 222. Rem for my girlfriends brother and that cartridge and gun is outstanding! And I will be getting one as well

Luckily my new Remington VSSF II just showed up 3 days ago in 204. Ruger. Just got to pick up a scope, and get her shooting! I'm getting a little hooked on this small calibers right now. Hopefully I can add a few more to the collection starting with the 222. Rem, followed by probably a swift

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.