243 vs 308

And the 6.5 Creedmoor will always wish it could be the .260 AI... The .260 Ackley is still the king of the short-action (.473") 6.5 cartridges. Pushes the 140 Hybrids over 3K with a 26" barrel.

Also, if Remington's release timing of the .260 Rem (1997) hadn't been so crappy, it would have dominated and the Creedmoor (2007) probably never would have come about. But despite Remington's timing blunder, they stopped supporting it and it almost completely died-off. So, that was 2 huge hits against the .260 Rem.

Remington almost killed-off the cartridge that started this whole recent 6.5 short-action trend here in the states. I know there were folks shooting the x47L long before that, but it was not a trendy cartridge, other than in certain niche' areas, like amongst BR and varmint shooters.

As much as I love my 700 actions...I definitely have had my fair-share of complaints about stupid bonehead crap that Remington has pulled over the years.

And the 6.5 Creedmoor will always wish it could be the .260 AI... The .260 Ackley is still the king of the short-action (.473") 6.5 cartridges. Pushes the 140 Hybrids over 3K with a 26" barrel.

Also, if Remington's release timing of the .260 Rem (1997) hadn't been so crappy, it would have dominated and the Creedmoor (2007) probably never would have come about. But despite Remington's timing blunder, they stopped supporting it and it almost completely died-off. So, that was 2 huge hits against the .260 Rem.

Remington almost killed-off the cartridge that started this whole recent 6.5 short-action trend here in the states. I know there were folks shooting the x47L long before that, but it was not a trendy cartridge, other than in certain niche' areas, like amongst BR and varmint shooters.

As much as I love my 700 actions...I definitely have had my fair-share of complaints about stupid bonehead crap that Remington has pulled over the years.

We'll technically the creed doesn't wish it was a 260 AI because that's even less popular that the 260!

That is true. Can't deny that. Sometimes I wish I did do the 260 AI then other times I'm perfectly happy with what I chose.

No offense meant, and I don't hate the Creedmoor, I just hate bandwagons (when it comes to anything). I'm not one of those dress-this-way to look cool or do this or that, or buy this or that because it's cool... I'm the guy laughing at the people who do that because they're so jaded by their attempt at acceptance, that they can't see just how ridiculous they actually look.

That being said, the Creedmoor has most definitely become the hipster trend of the cartridge world, because it is a bandwagon cartridge. It came out, and EVERYBODY and their brother thought it was just the most revolutionary and amazing thing of all time, and nobody has ever made anything like it before, it could shoot a moose at 2,000 yards, and stop a blue whale in mid-swim, while shooting the eyes out of a flea on a dog's back at 1000 yards, and blah blah blah... I've heard it all standing in gun stores listening to newbs talk about guns. It can get entertaining, and sometimes extremely difficult to keep from laughing.

Like i said, no offense meant towards the cartridge or those that like or own the cartridge...This is just my opinion. And it's based on the insane and outlandish things that people say to try to "upgrade" the cartridge and give it that larger-than-life almost mythical mystique to it, like it was designed by Zeus, hammered into shape by Thor, and passed down to us mere mortals. :D

No offense meant, and I don't hate the Creedmoor, I just hate bandwagons (when it comes to anything). I'm not one of those dress-this-way to look cool or do this or that, or buy this or that because it's cool... I'm the guy laughing at the people who do that because they're so jaded by their attempt at acceptance, that they can't see just how ridiculous they actually look.

That being said, the Creedmoor has most definitely become the hipster trend of the cartridge world, because it is a bandwagon cartridge. It came out, and EVERYBODY and their brother thought it was just the most revolutionary and amazing thing of all time, and nobody has ever made anything like it before, it could shoot a moose at 2,000 yards, and stop a blue whale in mid-swim, while shooting the eyes out of a flea on a dog's back at 1000 yards, and blah blah blah... I've heard it all standing in gun stores listening to newbs talk about guns. It can get entertaining, and sometimes extremely difficult to keep from laughing.

Nothing offense taken lol I can take alittle ribbing:D

Seriously though the creedmoor supporters are definitely, well, supporters lol. Even though I do shoot a creedmoor, I listen to some creedmoor guys and shake my head. It's a bandwagon cartridge that stuck and has become a staple for the long range shooting community. Seems were coming off the 6.5 high and going to 6mms though. Hence the release of the 6mm creedmoor.

There is no doubt that however that the creed is a superior case design to the standard 260. And it shows up by being more efficient. You do have to give credit where it's due. And with the event of lapua brass this will only draw many other to it. Only time will tell though

I just purchased my second 6.5 Creedmoor.
But I have several other cartridges.
They all kinda do what the Creed does, but it does it with less powder, wide node and less recoil.
I can load 3-4 Creedmoor cases to one of my 338 Lapua cases. I will always have a Creedmoor in my safe. No one can deny the case design and efficiency of it.
I agree it brought a lot of fan boys, but there are supporters for everything. It brought a lot of attention to the long range game because of the rifles and ammo that's available for it. There is not to many cartridges out there that you can go to Walmart and buy factory ammo, take it out and dial 8mils of elevation and hit 1000 yard plates. All for about 25$...
All that said, I have several rifles but I guess I could be called a 30-06 supporter, because that's my favorite..:D

Im wondering what will become of the 26 Nosler. Talk about fast!!

I feel that other than a few small factions of people, as far as mainstream goes, it's already about gone the way of the dodo bird. It was dead almost before it hit the ground. Folks realized just how short of barrel life you will get and said screw it, and picked something else, or waited for the .28 Nosler or .30 Nosler to release. Just like that "new" 6.5x300 Wby... It will be gone in a year or 2, other than the ammo and reloading components and a few small groups of reloaders.

The huge overbore 6.5's are done on the mainstream popularity scale. Enough people realized how stupidly overbore they were, and nobody wants to spend that kind of money on a rifle they'll only get 500-600 shots out of.

I just purchased my second 6.5 Creedmoor.
But I have several other cartridges.
They all kinda do what the Creed does, but it does it with less powder, wide node and less recoil.
I can load 3-4 Creedmoor cases to one of my 338 Lapua cases. I will always have a Creedmoor in my safe. No one can deny the case design and efficiency of it.
I agree it brought a lot of fan boys, but there are supporters for everything. It brought a lot of attention to the long range game because of the rifles and ammo that's available for it. There is not to many cartridges out there that you can go to Walmart and buy factory ammo, take it out and dial 8mils of elevation and hit 1000 yard plates. All for about 25$...
All that said, I have several rifles but I guess I could be called a 30-06 supporter, because that's my favorite..:D

I agree, but it did just kind of reinvent the wheel... I mean, the .260 Rem had been out 10 years prior to the Creedmoor, but like I stated, Remington screwed the pooch, and the Creedmoor took over where the .260 Rem SHOULD have already been dominating.

I agree it did bring a lot of people to the LR market, but you also gotta remember just how bad of a shot your average hunter is...Most of them can't even properly place a bullet in an animal at 150 yards. Do you really feel comfortable with those folks trying to shoot LR at game? I don't... That's how you end up with a lot of injured and maimed animals.

That being said, if Cleetus and JoeBob decided to practice and actually learn what to do, that's different, but how many of those folks do you think actually do that? I'd put that number probably in the 5-10% range, if I had to guess.

That's also why I don't hunt public land...Too many bad shooters with guns out there for me to be comfortable.

I agree, but it did just kind of reinvent the wheel... I mean, the .260 Rem had been out 10 years prior to the Creedmoor, but like I stated, Remington screwed the pooch, and the Creedmoor took over where the .260 Rem SHOULD have already been dominating.

I agree it did bring a lot of people to the LR market, but you also gotta remember just how bad of a shot your average hunter is...Most of them can't even properly place a bullet in an animal at 150 yards. Do you really feel comfortable with those folks trying to shoot LR at game? I don't... That's how you end up with a lot of injured and maimed animals.

That being said, if Cleetus and JoeBob decided to practice and actually learn what to do, that's different, but how many of those folks do you think actually do that? I'd put that number probably in the 5-10% range, if I had to guess.

That's also why I don't hunt public land...Too many bad shooters with guns out there for me to be comfortable.
Fair points, but I honestly don't believe the Creedmoor is a long range hunting cartridge. 500 yards maybe...
It reinvented the wheel some, but so did the most cartridges the came after the 30-06, the 300 Weatherby reinvented the 300 H&H. The .260 reinvented the 6.5x55. So on and so on....

Well it was never intended to be a long range hunting round. Although it can be used for long range hunting on the smaller scale of game like whitetails. It still holds 1000 ftlbs out to 600-800 yards depending on the load which is plenty

MasonG,

Nothing wrong with either the .243 or .308. If I had to choose, I would probably go with a fast twist .243. A .243AI chamber, IMHO, would be better, if for nothing other than less case stretching. I have shot the .243 out to 700yds quiet a bit and it did good, 3-4" groups average, some better, some worse.
With a fast twist, 1-8 or 1-7, you could stabilize heavier bullets and extend your range a little and they would defy the wind better. In the end you still got a 6mm bullet though. Just my thoughts. JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.