.25-06 VS .243

alldayhunter

I have two guns that have lost there place in my arsenal. One is not shooting up to standards and the other is just an extra i got a good deal on and than found a better deal on a better gun. Any way i am trading them both off. Much to my wifes delight i am replaceing them with one rifle. 1 for 2 due to the fact we are moving and are limited in space. I have a .204 that shoots great as well as a .270 win and a 300 wsm that after a littled help is shooting wonders. I would like to find something in the middle of the .270 and the 204. Something that will reach out there on small animals but still has enough weight to take coyotes at longer ranges. I also would be useing this to practice for my future custom as well as big game seasons to come. I think i want a 25-06 or a 243 but haven't decided and was wondering what the pros and cons are for both and which would offer me more range. I want something in a varmint weight. I have a Zeiss 4.5-14x44 conquest that is on one of the rifles i am trading to put on what ever i get. I am also looking for suggestions on good rifles to look at. Thanks again for all the help
Garrett

I'm kind of in the same boat w/a couple of guns.

My advice -25-06 and 270 are too similar to be -between-.
Their bullet weights overlap.

A 22-250 is hard to beat as is a 243 ,but for practice and longrange varmints -22-250 imo.

On reccommending a rifle --remington w/a quality stock no plastic.
I have a rem xr-100 22-250 the fit and finish are as good as it gets!It shoots 52 gr a-max bullets into 1" groups at 200 yds.That's not setting the world on fire by the standards of many on this board but good enough to take pd's at 400yds.
I'd stick w/a laminated stock rem. 700 as a minimum.
Also have a hs precision sporterweight 22-250 w/a douglas barrel that shoots .250" groups on my good days -best group .136".The 55gr sierra blitzkings really smack coyotes .
A 22-250 can be shot all day -the recoil is very light.I know a .204 performs on par w/a 22-250 but definately won't have the knock-down power of the 55-60gr bullets.
Never had a 243 but it's another top performer ,--i'm talking in circles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

I have both and would give my vote to the 25-06, good vld bullets that will work in a standard 10 twist barrel.Have shot everything from 75gr vmax@ 3900fps to 115gr vld bergers at 3200fps( VHIT N165) out to 1200 yds.

Garrett,
I'm not as knowledgeable as some of the folks here, but one thing you might want to consider is that "trajectory-wise" the .243 and .270 are practically identical. So, if you have a .270 you like, you can bang varmints and practice with the .243 and then when you switch over to the .270, the ballistics will already be ingrained in your mind.
Just a thought...

If your looking at a factory rig, in a varmint class rifle you might be limited already. For custom your wide open.

The .243 is a great little round capable of good accuracy, and a good supply of quality bullets. Anything from 60grs to the 95gr bullets will be easy shooting, and will drop critters out a goodly ways. There is a ton of info on it and loads are generally easy to work up.

The 25-06 is also a great round as well. The disadvantage is in bullets weights to choose from. However the ones that are available will definatly drop critters with authority. This round will increase your recoil a bit but is still very tolerable IMO. The advantage is that you get some added weight to choose from should you want to use it on bigger stuff. It will also increase your range a bit along with it's energy.

Both of these will serve double duty for varmints and game. For game however, the '06 has a bit more in the energy dept along with the added weights in bullets. For me, I used my .243 for ranges out to 200yds on deer and to about 350 on other critters. THe '06 has been used for both out to over 400yds and has always done it's part when I did mine. I had some reservations on the .243 after a couple of bullets didn't do what I thought they should have a the longer ranges. I still got the deer but the end result was not what I had in mind.

Good luck in your choice, I am sure that either will suit you well.

I love my 25-06 and used it mainly for coyotes and muleys. I like it better then the 243 for the simple fact that you can shoot the 115-120g bullets and at 500-600 yards that helps on deer. For coyotes it doesn't really matter, either work great. I think if your going to use it mainly for coyotes, get the 243. It will smack them out to 700 yards at least and burn 10g less powder. If your going to use it for deer hunting as well, and maybe think of taking a longer shot, I would go the 06 route with 115g NBT's at 3100fps. That will make short work of deer out to 600 yards and coyotes to 800. You can always shoot the 85g NBT out of the 25-06 at 3600fps. That is a great fast, flat, and devastating combo for coyotes. Not really needed, but fun none the less. If I had a 243, I would probly shoot the 70g NBT at 3600-3700fps. For deer I would use a 95g NBT or 100g SBT. Those would work out to 500 yards on deer. JUst all depnds on how far and what your mianly going to use it for I think. For a dual purpose rifle I dont think you can beat a 25-06, but then again, theres really nothing wrong with the 243 if you limit your shots to 500 yards, you burn 10g less powder and probly gain a little in the accuracy department as well.

If you varmint alot, go with the 25/06. Nothing "flies" chucks like a 87 gr 25/06 load. The rifle makes a little more noise & recoil, but if better for deer & antelope if you want it versatile!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Thanks for all the help. It seems like it is split. I have just started reloading and was looking at the 6 rem a little but still like the availabilty of factory ammo for the other two. I will look at what is available in my area as soon as i get some time off from work. we have been working 630 to 700 everyday and i haven't had time to go look lately. I was thinking maybe a savage model 112 in 25-06 or a remington vls. What does everyone think of the ruger target greys. Thanks again for all the help
garrett

Allday,
Another possibility not yet mentioned is the .257 AI. It gets close to the ballistics of the 25-06 while using considerably less powder, has the same bullet selection, the same hunting versatility, and you have a caliber a little different than the rest of the crowd if you like that. It will still shoot factory .257 Roberts ammo, and once shot, you have fire-formed cases to be loaded to the full power capability of the Ackley Improved version. Just a thought. I have one in 700 Rem that I wouldn't part with for a 25-06, .243 or any similar cartridge. It started off life as .257 Roberts and all I had to do was have it re-barreled to the Ackley Improved. You could just have it re-chambered for less money too.

Everyone should have at least one 25-06. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I also have a 243Win but if one had to go it would be the 243.

I have both (although my .243 is a 6mm Rem.) and both have their place, however, I reach for the 25-06 AI 9 times out of 10. My 6mm Rem has killed 100's of coyotes and Rock Chucks, 2 Whitetails and a Mule Deer buck over the last decade. I love that little 6, but I love the 25 boomer WAY more. If I had to have only one rifle for the remainder on my days here on this planet... it would be the 25-06 (I do prefer the AI version). Plenty of punch for everything I hunt (deer, antelope and black bears)... and it does things to 'Chucks and Coyotes that no 6mm can do. I don't know anyone who's had a .25-06 and been dissapointed with its performance on game or at the range, the .243 is a great cartridge... but the .25-06 whoops its *** up and down the block.

I went with a 243 AI and a 8" twist since it can pretty much do everything a 25-06 can but it does it in a short action.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.