243 vs 308

MasonG

I have a Boyd's stock that's made for a Savage short action. I've had it for a few years and it's time to put something in it. My brother recently bought a Savage 10 308 and is starting to build it. I was going to buy a 308 too but he suggested that some people like 243s better and I may want to look at them. What do you guys think? Gun has to be a Savage short action, stainless, that's my only must haves. I'm not ready to shoot super long ranges but out to 600 would be good for now.

I'm biased, but I was in your exact dilemma two years ago and took the 243 win road.

I love it! I wanted a budget custom and exceeded my expectations. I'm shooting 105 aMAX's at 2975fps and a consistent sub moa over 450 rounds. I love the fact that I have no brake and can watch bullets hit in a tiny group. I have shot it to 1000, but it shines at 600 and less. I used a Stevens 200 action, SSS trued.250 lug, ER Shaw 25" 1:8 twist barrel(I know, i know, but proof is in the pudding at this point) and cdi detachable mag. I watched you tube and upgraded the factory trigger myself. Safety works as it should and the trigger breaks every time at just under 3 lbs.

Good luck! Have fun building it.

6.5 Creedmoor without doubt. Barrel will last much longer than a 243. Recoil is still mild. Excellent accuracy with more down range energy. Just beats the 243 all the way around.

I have a Boyd's stock that's made for a Savage short action. I've had it for a few years and it's time to put something in it. My brother recently bought a Savage 10 308 and is starting to build it. I was going to buy a 308 too but he suggested that some people like 243s better and I may want to look at them. What do you guys think? Gun has to be a Savage short action, stainless, that's my only must haves. I'm not ready to shoot super long ranges but out to 600 would be good for now.

I don't know your intended purpose, target or hunting...?

308 will have MUCH longer barrel life, more recoil, more downrange energy in you are a hunter.
243 will have cheaper bullets but your barrel will burn out faster, only slightly better BC on average, and will be easier on your shoulder if you shoot very often.

For target shooting it won't matter much. Any of them will do the job out to 1000 yards no problem. I shoot a 24" heavy barrel .308 occasionally, and the recoil is very mild. What I love about this gun is that I can buy Federal GMM ammo for $20/box and shoot 3/4 MOA with it. Simple and easy.

For a deer hunting cartridge I really like the 7mm-08. You can load 100 grain hollow points at 3200 fps for varmints, 120 grain Ballistic Tips for a light-recoiling deer load, or 140-150 grain bullets for good performance at 600-700 yards. With a 24" barrel the 162 grain bullets would also do really well.

I just started playing with my Savage 10 .243 again. I am running the 95 TMK. It's a lot of fun. I have had it to 800 yards so far on steel, running a mild load of 41 grains of IMR 4350. It's just as fun as my 6.5 Creedmoor.
For hunting I would go with a 30 cal hole in that case.
But for steel and paper, the .243 is great!! A lot of the PRS guys are running 6mm including the .243. Barrel life is a factor but I have seen guys getting 1500 rounds or so. That's not terrible in my opinion. Good thing about your choice is the barrelnut.lightbulb

Thanks for the input guys! I'm leaning towards the 243 now. The 6.5 was a thought too because I've always wanted one but I think I should pass on that this time. Also this would be a target only gun, honestly I have plenty of guns to hunt with, I just want to make a really nice looking gun to target shoot with my brother and his 308.

I don't know the barrel life of the 243. But if you just want to shoot targets the 6.5X47 may be just what you need. Barrel life of 2700-3000 rounds and very light recoil. Put a brake on it and they are so much fun to shoot. Not to mention they will run very close to the 260 or the Creedmore. My heavy practice gun has a 26" Broughton and runs 130 Bergers right at 3000 fps. Very impressive little case. I would seriously look into it for a target gun.

Out of those two 243 hands down. Despite what people may think the 243 runs very close with the 260/6.5 cm with the right bullet. That being said if there's game on the list I'd definitely opt for one of the 6.5 options. Just targets 6mm all the way. Another one to consider is the 6mm Creed

John Whidden is the Champion at Camp Perry he loves the 243 better in the wind ,faster, longer more aerodynamic bullet, I don't even know what I said, 308 is a boring case imho witch aint much

John Whidden is the Champion at Camp Perry he loves the 243 better in the wind ,faster, longer more aerodynamic bullet, I don't even know what I said, 308 is a boring case imho witch aint much

Yeah, but John will shoot his .308 as well as most shoot their .243's.

George Gardner used a 243 for several years. I think he may have switched to the 6mm Creed recently.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.