230 SMK for Elk

• Thread starter Deleted member 25294
  • Start date
If you get the same issue with another bullet, it may be worth your while to try HBN, if you haven't already. Simple to use and pretty cheap. At least compared to a rebarrel.
A lot of hassle though, and all bullets will need to treated in that barrel.

All of about 15 minutes of work. Not what I would call a hassle when considering loading for long range precision
I'd call it hassle, as the option to not have to tumble all bullets, and not to be concerned, if for some reason you had to use off the shelf ammo, is vast.
Any perceived benefits didn't appeal to me, and as far as I'm aware, it's not something the military use. It's a certainty that any noticeable difference, whether lack of barrel wear, better accuracy, better velocity etc; would be taken advantage of, yet the haven't.
Each to their own, but it's like neck turning, it's not something I'm ever likely to do as it's hassle, so I settle for quality brass, and anneal every round. I'm very happy with the results.

I'd call it hassle, as the option to not have to tumble all bullets, and not to be concerned, if for some reason you had to use off the shelf ammo, is vast.
Any perceived benefits didn't appeal to me, and as far as I'm aware, it's not something the military use. It's a certainty that any noticeable difference, whether lack of barrel wear, better accuracy, better velocity etc; would be taken advantage of, yet the haven't.
Each to their own, but it's like neck turning, it's not something I'm ever likely to do as it's hassle, so I settle for quality brass, and anneal every round. I'm very happy with the results.
And I never anneal, and in my .260 Ackley, in 12+ fireings never saw a reason to spend the money or use the time. As you stated, to each their own.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.