230 SMK for Elk

• Thread starter Deleted member 25294
  • Start date
What is your comfort zone for long range hunting?
with perfect conditions around 1100 yards.

I'm tempted to give the 215 Bergers a try, I'm throated for the the 225 ELDM seated at the boat tail/neck junction so the 215 would have quite a bit of freebore..
has anyone tried them in a long throated chamber where they had quite a bit of jump?

I'm tempted to give the 215 Bergers a try, I'm throated for the the 225 ELDM seated at the boat tail/neck junction so the 215 would have quite a bit of freebore..
has anyone tried them in a long throated chamber where they had quite a bit of jump?
I have jumped them .100" in a .308 win, they shot very well, around .5 or a touch under.

Thanks I'm really curious to see how those perform on game
Where did you find them?
I didn't know they were released yet, I guess I'm used to the Berger model...
Put out the word about a new bullet, get everyone hyped up, and never release it!
Be careful...Hornady announced with the release of the the new Atips that they also have a special seating plug that only fits HORNADY CUSTOM DIE SETS. You may require both for best performance...

Try to jump the 225's before trying another bullet...if it's throated for that exact bullet you may be jammed when you don't know it causing your flyers. Jump em a little and see what they do.

Try another bullet, I would suggest from another manufacturer and or a different powder. My experience is that many rifles are finicky and will let you know what they like

Yeah I've tried three powders with Fed 215m and cci 250 primers, I thought I had a good load a couple times only to have my groups open up WIDE.
I ordered some 215 Bergers.

Try to jump the 225's before trying another bullet...if it's throated for that exact bullet you may be jammed when you don't know it causing your flyers. Jump em a little and see what they do.

Thanks I played with seating depth and jumped them .025, they shot the best with a soft jam.

The copper fouling has been extreme with these bullets, I've had to scrub the crap out of it with copper remover every 10 shots.
Another reason why I'm trying another bullet..

The copper fouling has been extreme with these bullets, I've had to scrub the crap out of it with copper remover every 10 shots.
Another reason why I'm trying another bullet..
If you get the same issue with another bullet, it may be worth your while to try HBN, if you haven't already. Simple to use and pretty cheap. At least compared to a rebarrel.

I hate to say it but I have never seen a barrel be consistently accurate when it copper fouls a lot. If a different bullets doesn't foul less my bet is your barrel is not your friend. The 2 in 1 out thing is pretty common for barrels like that too.

I am jumping them .250 and getting half MOA out of them. I will second not useing the 230 SMK for hunting. Unless you open the tips back up target bullet only IMHO.

215 Berger 230 Berger and 230 SMK in that order. Funny thing is the SMK looks like it has a bigger hole in the picture then it does. I think its a shadow.

Attachments

• DLG 2018 020.jpg
    DLG 2018 020.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 101
I hate to say it but I have never seen a barrel be consistently accurate when it copper fouls a lot. If a different bullets doesn't foul less my bet is your barrel is not your friend. The 2 in 1 out thing is pretty common for barrels like that too.

Yeah I'm a little concerned..
If the problem persists with another bullet I'll be contacting the barrel maker about it

If you get the same issue with another bullet, it may be worth your while to try HBN, if you haven't already. Simple to use and pretty cheap. At least compared to a rebarrel.

Thanks I'll look into that!

I'm having a heck of a time getting my 8 twist 300 NM to shoot 225 ELDM's, I keep getting ridiculous flyers and after shooting up the entire box I don't have a load that's worth a crap, copper fouling is crazy bad too.
I'm considering trying out the 230 SMK's.
Anyone used these for long range hunting?
Elk is what I'm after.
I'm thinking my twist is way too fast for 212 ELDX or 215 Bergers..
I tried these in a 30/338 wildcat with same results. Switched to Bergers and have 1/2 moa groups at 3250 fps.

I got some 215 Berger's tonight and loaded a few up for a quick test before dark.
I fired 1 round with Retumbo and H1000 2 grains above my 225 eld load, then fired a 2 shot group with each 2 grains above the first test rounds.
I can't believe it problem solved!
I'm really excited about these 215's.
I'm going to test the H1000 load some more at 200 yards, dang near 3100 with an SD of 1!
IMG_20190517_193428809.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.