230 SMK for Elk

• Thread starter Deleted member 25294
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25294

I'm having a heck of a time getting my 8 twist 300 NM to shoot 225 ELDM's, I keep getting ridiculous flyers and after shooting up the entire box I don't have a load that's worth a crap, copper fouling is crazy bad too.
I'm considering trying out the 230 SMK's.
Anyone used these for long range hunting?
Elk is what I'm after.
I'm thinking my twist is way too fast for 212 ELDX or 215 Bergers..

I'm having a heck of a time getting my 8 twist 300 NM to shoot 225 ELDM's, I keep getting ridiculous flyers and after shooting up the entire box I don't have a load that's worth a crap, copper fouling is crazy bad too.
Elk is what I'm after.
I would try a box of the new Atips in 230 or 250. I ordered. 5 boxes

I bet an 8 twist is fine with the 215s. My .300WM is an 8 twist and I'm shooting 181gr hammer hunters into sub .5 MOA. Also for elk I would recommend a look at the hammer hunter bullets. 8 twist you can shoot their biggest .308 bullet.

I would try a box of the new Atips in 230 or 250. I ordered. 5 boxes
Thanks I'm really curious to see how those perform on game
Where did you find them?
I didn't know they were released yet, I guess I'm used to the Berger model...
Put out the word about a new bullet, get everyone hyped up, and never release it!

I bet an 8 twist is fine with the 215s. My .300WM is an 8 twist and I'm shooting 181gr hammer hunters into sub .5 MOA. Also for elk I would recommend a look at the hammer hunter bullets. 8 twist you can shoot their biggest .308 bullet.
Thanks I might give the lighter bullets a try if I can't get a heavy to shoot

Thanks I'm really curious to see how those perform on game
Where did you find them?
I didn't know they were released yet, I guess I'm used to the Berger model...
Put out the word about a new bullet, get everyone hyped up, and never release it!
They are overdue at Midway. Your 8 twist should work great for the 250's! I'm pretty sure they will be a great long range game bullet. They are very similar to the ones I use to make but even higher b c. Mine worked great on game.

They are overdue at Midway. Your 8 twist should work great for the 250's! I'm pretty sure they will be a great long range game bullet. They are very similar to the ones I use to make but even higher b c. Mine worked great on game.
Thanks
I'm a little hesitant to jump to 250's, I'm thinking the recoil would be quite a bit more than a 230..
I guess I'd have to try them to find out.

Elk is what I'm after.
What is your comfort zone for long range hunting?

I have heard (but never tested myself) that some of the Sierra bullets that are pointed can have the hollow point somewhat closed off, leading to little or no bullet expansion (but sometimes tumbling after impact due to the tip "bananaing" over). I suppose if you opened tips with a wire drill, that should ensure proper expansion with very little loss in bc, I would feel confident trying the SMK in that case. Otherwise, one of the other bullets mentioned is what I would try, starting with the 230 Berger. Will be interesting to see how the A-Tips perform as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.