SMK for mulies....

Sako,

Keep in mind I am not taking this out on you, I just don't agree with this outfitter....

Well.... sit down I have some not so good news... for you... 4000 acres isn't a whole lot of room our here. I can cover that in no time and be back at camp for coffee by 9:30 a.m.
The best part is that it is the rut.. that will help.. I can only assume the rut in NM is late Nov.??? The rut here in Wyo. is around Nov. 1st sometimes later....

man I just ... wish I knew more about this deal.. somthing just doesn't sit well with me...

I'd love to have him watch me dump one of his armor coated Mulies with my 308 and 168 gr Noslers at 700 yards!!!

I would ask more questions!!!

Wyo, this guy comes highly recommended, but admits he's mostly a elk camp, as the muledeer population is down somewhat there, as it is most other places.
Typically, they are taking 160-180 BC mulies, maybe a 190, if your living right.
Elk, are the mainstay at this place.
The camp is located outside Raton,NM., next to several hundred thousand acres that are never hunted.
I dont really consider this caliber/bullet weight thing a real problem, as I have met the requirements w/ my .300 WM, and will probably load up 2 or 3 differant bullets, and see if he starts bucking.
He never mentioned it to me verbally, it's written in the contract. Maybe to keep a handle on what people are bringing out there to hunt with.
I probably wont be bringing a new, NM state record mulie back home. But, I'm confident, I'll have a good chance of killing a nice, 170 class deer. I wouldnt shoot anything less than that.
In all our conversations, he's proven to be a pretty straight guy.
Like I said, its his rodeo, and I'll honor his wishes. It's not that unreasonable...sakofan...

Ric,
If I was a mule deer outfitter (and maybe its a good thing I ain't), I would stipulate that anyone hunting with me - including S1 and Darryl - MUST use a .308 Winchester loaded with 45 grains of Varget, in a Winchester case, Winchester primer and a 168 grain Sierra Matchking loaded no shorter than 2.830" O.L. Think I would do OK
wink.gif

Sako,

I ain't saying he's a bad guy.... but 4000 acres isn't all that much really.. maybe he's gonna have ya stand hunt.. not sure.. they do have good mulies down that way...
what time of the year you hunting???

Ian,

I didn't know there was any other load...
wink.gif
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.