223ai first range session

dnb86

IMG_2036.jpeg
IMG_2243.jpeg

Got the new 223ai back from the smith and this was the first three down the tube I think that'll do

Do you know what freebore you smith used? I just bought a reamer and will be using a throater to cut the freebore. It would be helpful to know.
Dave

Last edited:
tight dia throat or short length... hmmm.........

Better give him a call and get that throat dia

Some Hornady bullets now are "fat" with a large pressure ring.

I ran into problems with "Fat" bullets where the bullet was being pushed back in the case because it could not enter the throat. When you pull the trigger, the bullet gets sized down by the smaller throat dia, jacking up pressures and killing the best potential accuracy.

For example, if you have a bullet that is .2245, and you have a throat dia that is .2245, a little bit of carbon in the throat could spell trouble. This is usually easy to detect, chamber, and extract a loaded round on a blackened seated bullet. If all the black is scraped off the bullet where it entered the throat, you need to find a smaller dia bullet to shoot.

In some benchrest circles, they are running .2243 throats, using a micrometer to measure the bullet dia to the .0001 can eliminate a lot of trial and error in shooting bullets that just will not work well. To make matters even worse, reamer makers have +/- .0005 Tolerance in grinding the reamer.

Berger bullets run .2240 in the shank and .2243 on the pressure ring, Nosler bullets usually run a little undersize.

Lever powder will make those groups come alive with speed and a single bullet hole group.

throat is fine it's not as tight as you described it's tighter than factory rigs for sure but only time I ran into an issue with a bullet with his throat set up was with the hammers so I switched to badlands and that fixed the problem

I was referring to the throat length usually referred to as freebore. A somewhat simplified explanation but it works.

Last edited:
I was re getting to the throat length usually referred to as freebore. A somewhat simplified explanation but it works.

Yea. Hopefully, the smith properly throated a 1/7tw to take advantage of everything that AI case has to offer.
However, getting 2,850fps with a 75gr in a 22" tube, so that speed and bullet will let you do a lot of things.

Recent Posts