223AI build suggestions

dnb86

Got a bartlein 1-7.7 twist on the way in Remington varmint with a trigger tech special and gonna have the smith true up the rem 700 action. Curious on bullet selection I was thinking 75-80 grainers in Sierra or Hornady. Gonna be using lapua brass with Varget or h4895 and pointers would be appreciated and what are the thoughts on grayboe stocks?

We've got a 223 ai at the shop that LOVES a case full of varget & 75 ELDM. Itty bitty groups, sounds like you've got the right components for a tack driver!

We've had alot of experience with manners, mcmillan and mesa. Never have ran a grayboe though.

We've got a 223 ai at the shop that LOVES a case full of varget & 75 ELDM. Itty bitty groups, sounds like you've got the right components for a tack driver!

We've had alot of experience with manners, mcmillan and mesa. Never have ran a grayboe though.
Had no idea you guys had a website! Good to know! what are your thoughts on mesa vs McMillan. I definitely like the look of the mesa just don't know anyone who's used one in my area

Have it reamed with .100-.120 freebore for versatility with heavier, longer projectiles. If you like to experiment with heavier bullets you'll be glad you did.

We've got a 223 ai at the shop that LOVES a case full of varget & 75 ELDM
Same here. I used Lapua brass, Varget Powder, CCI 450s, and Hornady bullets. 80gn factory seconds to form the brass, and have 2k 75gn ELD-Ms ready to go next. Shoots lights out, easy to work with, and a ton of fun.

Weight on this rifle wasn't a concern so I put mine into a Foundation stock, got it bedded and everything. Walked it right out to 1400 yards with FF loads

Have it reamed with .100-.120 freebore for versatility with heavier, longer projectiles. If you like to experiment with heavier bullets you'll be glad you did.

Agreed - our Ai reamer has a short throat, seat the heavies and have your smith throat it to that length. You'll be glad you did. Bonus velocity and no compressed loads.

I kept mine shorter throated and set off a 75gn at AICS mag-length. Hawkins M5 DBM and Magpul 10-round mags, runs and feeds very easily.

I wasn't looking for any particular velocity, just a boring 3000+ round barrel life for plinking steel. If I had a BDL bottom metal I probably would have throated longer. If you don't want to feed through a short mag like I did, get the longer throat and the free speed for sure though.

I'm using a longer throat 26" 1/8tw, and using 2520 powder, I am easily hitting 3,100fps with 75's and 3,000fps with the 80's. The 5 shot groups are in the 2's with the occasional sub 2's.

Attachments

• 223AI group.jpg
    223AI group.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 24
Agreed - our Ai reamer has a short throat, seat the heavies and have your smith throat it to that length. You'll be glad you did. Bonus velocity and no compressed loads.
Thanks for the advise and I'm glad to here your guys have a online store I noticed you guys have those mesas in stock so I'll be ordering one up here in the next day or so