.300 Build Suggestions

Jpistolero02

I have been lurking on this site for quite some time, trying to soak up as much as I can. I primarily hunt whitetail deer in Texas and use various calibers to do so. I will be heading to Colorado on an elk hunt next year and hopefully it will be one of many. I have decided that the .300 WM or .300 WSM should serve me well. I was thinking of buying a cheap Savage and getting a good replacement barrel and decent stock. I have also looked at the Remington 5R Gen 2. Any thoughts about that line of thinking? It wouldn't be something I use in Texas as I have several smaller calibers that work well here. I would probably add a brake to this rifle, so I am not sure the best barrel contour for that. Thanks in advance.

1. I think a 300wm or 300wsm are both great choices and I hunt with both. Are you going to reload, do you want to shoot long range, are you willing to pack some weight for a rifle that is accurate? A Remington 5r gen 2 is great. I have built a few rifles and the rifles you build are special and I enjoy shooting them more. If you build you can do it any way you want to. Savage actions are easy to build with and you can get a very accurate rifle. I would suggest a Criterion barrel from Norhlan Shooters Supply if you chose to build. If you intend to shoot long range the 200+ gain bullets make those calibers shine. Reloading = better accuracy.

If going .300WM, go with the 5R GenII, and just swap the trigger, bed the action, and torque the action screws to 65 inch-pounds. Make sure you do a proper barrel break-in before going hunting.

Yes, I do reload all my own ammo. I have an Accuracy International in 6.5X47 and a custom 6X47L that I shoot at long distance, so it would be nice to have a big boy as well. I just didn't want to spend 5K on something I wouldn't be using as much. I am not sure how much weight is manageable on a mountain hunt since I have never done it. I would guess you want to shed as many pounds as possible, but if I am also having fun with it, I don't want a 7lb rifle that kicks my teeth in.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.