22 creed 73gr Absolute hammers!

OK guy-s, great info.
NOW, I could use some of your knowledge help.
I re=barreled my 22/250 to a AI with 1n8 twist.
I loaded 55 gr V-max at about 3700 fps. The bullets hit the target looked like shotgun load.
l then loaded Serria 69gr about 3600 and got about a 3/4" group ce
Any advice or suggestions appreciated.
U will blow up 55gr stuff in a 8t, most match bullets blow up when u get over 315k rpms, 69 smk should work well in that 8t iv run it alot, 70 gr hammers will tighten it up if ur looking for a hunting bullet!

Behind the front shoulder is where we put the bullet. Zero need to limit oneself to neck and or head shots!

The farthest we've taken small big game (deer, lopes, black bear) is 505 yards. One 60 Nozler Solid base behind the front and it took 2 steps and pitched over.

Far and away the big 22's are one of the most under rated killing machines that we have to use. I moved to Montana summer of 78, met a few guys who were using them back then. I took to using the same bullets that they mainly used (55 Horn w/c, 60 Horn sp and the 60 Horn HP, 63 Sierra SMP and the Nozler solid bases). Between those guys and my family and friends I can't even beging to guess how many head of big game from lopes to moose that we've taken.

This is a pretty sharp group of hunters, if these rounds weren't working then we wouldn't be using them.

Out to 500 yards on deer and lope's I see zero need for Premium bullets and or using the heavies.We've had such good success with the standard bullets that I mentioned that I just can't see how a heavier slug would do us any better. Now for steel between 500 and 1K absolutely they heavier slugs will out perform our standard bullets. But, we're mainly a bunch of hunters that love to get out there and get at it.

Not trying to be negative nellie here but it's always easy to spot those who've never actually used them, let alone seen 100's of head of game taken with the Big 22's. They'll be the ones throwing salt....grins

Killing is actually pretty darn easy and not in any the rocket science that most make it out to be.....:)

I have hunted most of my adult life with the Big 22's and if you said that's all I could ever use for anything that moves again I'd be just fine.
iv killed deer with all the bullets u mentioned all worked very well, killed more than i want to mention on here, lol i really like the hammers bullets from 44gr all way to the 83gr, work really with the right twist! killed a deer last fall 750 yds with 22/284 77gr tmk, i like the heavys at anything over 450 yd, but still run alot of 55,63gr stuff in my14t guns

Nice thread. I didn't read through everything, but anyone here try both the 73 HH and the 73 AH to tell us what the average velocity differential was? I'm guessing the 73 HH has a decent BC edge with the secant ogive. However, the Hammer site lists the BC for these two projos as exactly the same. Thinking it's a typo?

Nice thread. I didn't read through everything, but anyone here try both the 73 HH and the 73 AH to tell us what the average velocity differential was? I'm guessing the 73 HH has a decent BC edge with the secant ogive. However, the Hammer site lists the BC for these two projos as exactly the same. Thinking it's a typo?
Im getting same bc with both out to 700 yds in a 7twist! Probably because the 73Ah is more stable since its .055 shorter, with that said the 73 HH Has a bc of. 36 bc in my 22 saum 6.5 twist! In my 22/6mm i can run the AH a solid 150 fps faster than the HH before i hit pressure, in my 7twist 22/284 i hit pressure at 3650 with HH, the Ah i run 3875! So it varys from barrel to barrel!

I see they also sell a 75gr Absolute Hammer and a 83gr Hammer Hunter.

73gr AH requires 7.25-twist @ 1.10" bullet length.
75gr AH requires 6.5-twist @ 1.20" bullet length.
83gr HH requires 7-twist @ 1.225" bullet length.

Their recommended "minimum" twist rates surprise me, so I'm gonna run some twist rate calculations for all three of these bullets based on their supplied bullet length information.
Velocity increases the twist rate doesn't need to be such small numbers. I've done very well with 9:1 in 22-250 26 inch barrel up to 75 gr. 90's were a no no

Really appreciate the feedback. From what you're saying, we might as well start with the 73 AH as the speed gain will most likely outrun any BC advantage if there is any in a 7-twist. (22 Creed / 22" 5R Bartlein Carbon)

Really appreciate the feedback. From what you're saying, we might as well start with the 73 AH as the speed gain will most likely outrun any BC advantage if there is any in a 7-twist. (22 Creed / 22" 5R Bartlein Carbon)
yes the 73 Ah is my favorite, i have seen the 73 HH and 75AH tumble when pushed to hard in 7t up 3700 plus, the Ah was designed to fix this problem! iv shot it out to 700 yds with good results!