22 cal showdown

Let's keep this thread going since it is illegal in CO to hunt coyotes with anything bigger than 22 cal during big game seasons. I'm seriously considering an 8 twist 22-250 right now. What's good and what's bad? What temp stable powder is good and will any 68-75 grain bullets expand on coyotes? Plenty of Varget data but hardly any on H4350 or IMR 4451. Not looking to hit steel at 1000k just want to hit coyotes at 400-500.

4-500? A fast twist .223 with a 75 grain eld will fill that. I use a .223 90% of the time for coyote tournaments. This will work past the 500 mark if you have ability.

Attachments

• 20181202_141347.jpg
    20181202_141347.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 139
Let's keep this thread going since it is illegal in CO to hunt coyotes with anything bigger than 22 cal during big game seasons. I'm seriously considering an 8 twist 22-250 right now. What's good and what's bad? What temp stable powder is good and will any 68-75 grain bullets expand on coyotes? Plenty of Varget data but hardly any on H4350 or IMR 4451. Not looking to hit steel at 1000k just want to hit coyotes at 400-500.

I like varget with 69 grain sierra match king out of a 1-9 twist 22-250

22-250 with a 80-95 grain bullet works great as well. I ran a 22x47 lapua for 5 years as a derby gun. Rough on fur, but a good eastern Montana/open prairie gun. If you are just into killing coyotes , a 75-95 grain bullet doing over 3000fps is tough to beat. I have been getting an $80 average on heavy, put up coyotes. Just not a fan of shooting a big prime coyote and ruining it by having blown a huge hole in it. That is why I went to a .223, you still get some damage in some cases, but most of the time its salvageable.

I like varget with 69 grain sierra match king out of a 1-9 twist 22-250
That's about what I had in mind.8 twist barrels seem more common than 9 so I will probably have it barreled with an 8and first try 69 Sierra or either 68 or 75 grain Hornady hpbt. I still like some velocity and flat trajectory for hunting....especially coyotes. There's not always time to range and dial. Sometimes it's estimate the range and estimate the hold before they get away.

That's about what I had in mind.8 twist barrels seem more common than 9 so I will probably have it barreled with an 8and first try 69 Sierra or either 68 or 75 grain Hornady hpbt. I still like some velocity and flat trajectory for hunting....especially coyotes. There's not always time to range and dial. Sometimes it's estimate the range and estimate the hold before they get away.
Yeah if I had it to do over now I would put a 8 twist on it. But it was my first build and u live and learn

22-250 with a 80-95 grain bullet works great as well. I ran a 22x47 lapua for 5 years as a derby gun. Rough on fur, but a good eastern Montana/open prairie gun. If you are just into killing coyotes , a 75-95 grain bullet doing over 3000fps is tough to beat. I have been getting an $80 average on heavy, put up coyotes. Just not a fan of shooting a big prime coyote and ruining it by having blown a huge hole in it. That is why I went to a .223, you still get some damage in some cases, but most of the time its salvageable.
I agree on the 22x47. I built one a couple years ago, just for the halibut. Cool cartridge, but a little tough on hides. Accuracy load runs 80 VLD's at 3370 in a 23" Bartlein.

I've shot quite a few with 75 VLD's at 3075 out of a 22-204 that's a lot more favorable to fur. 80 VLD's out of the same at 3025 works quite well too.

I built up a 22-250 AI over the winter, it's on a Cabela's special Savage that had the factory barrel at about 1500 rounds. X-Caliber had a deal going around beginning of October, barrel arrived around November. It's a heavy varmint 26" 8 twist 3 groove, in a Bobby Hart laminate stock and is heavy. I'm shooting the 75gr ELD-M at 3370 with RL23 , brass is on third firing and pockets feel brand new. It's a pig though, weighing about 13 pounds. I've put three shot groups into half an inch at 300 yards multiple times.

So after building it, I looked at my supplies and saw I still had a bunch of brass for the standard 22-250 that had three to four firings on them so I grabbed one of the Ruger American rifles from Whittakers with the stainless 8 twist barrels on sale for 283 shipped. I put a Leopold 2x7 on it and shoot 69 tmks at 3200 fps with AR Comp under an inch easily. I walked around with it yesterday checking tree stands and swapping camera cards after multiple rounds of snow and ice and it was very pleasant to carry.

I thought about a 22 Creed but I like the old stand-by 22-250 and wanted my first AI. I think I would choose the Valk over the Nosler due to Starline making brass and having more options then Nosler brass. Those would be AR platform only rifles though.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.