What cal?

A Train

Yes I know this probably has been beaten to death for that I am sorry. I am leaning towards 22-250 but open to other calls. I have a 243 but the boy will be using that.
Some info
I hand load (already have dies for .243 maybe stay that cal.)
Hunting in south dakota not super long range but want ability to shoot 500 yrd at most. I want to try to save the fur. Not looking to cut them in half.
I will buy Savage. No custom builds. (not in the budget)
Gun might double as my boys prairie dog gun until i set him up with a dedicated PD gun.
Gun might also be used as deer gun for younger brother or sister. 22-250 V's 243 for deer
Question on barrel life of 22-250. When we shoot prairie dogs we don't shoot a lot but how can I limit my boys rounds it is a blast shooting them.
Gun will be a coyote gun fist. Weight is a factor don't want to carry around a 10lb gun.
It might seem silly but if I buy another gun I want to get a different cal. (Maybe stay .243 If it isn't broke don't fix it. )
Recoil witch has more 22-250 or 243?
I know there are a million and one cals that work. I know everyone has shot one and likes it. I am just trying to get some ideas.
Sorry to ramble on but want to give as much info possible. Thanks

When I asked about the 22-250, it was pointed out that 2 of the major down sides were barrel life and expense of ammo. To me barrel life is like, like any tool life. it's part of the "cost" of doing the job. Ammo on the other hand can be " cheaper" if you are a reloader. I'm stuck with off the shelf stuff. I guess it depends on what trade offs, you are willing to deal with. Book wise, I thought this Cal. was a good choice for the purposes you listed.

I would go 22-250 great round. barrel life is no big deal just dont run the barrel hot and you will be surprised the round count you can get. I love running a 50gr combined technology with benchmark at just under 3800. Out of my kimber with a 26inch barrel. Under sub MOA and same with my sako same load under sub MOA. And i have not had a runner yet. you hit them they are down for the count. and it dont tear them up unless you hit a shoulder then its time for the thread.
I do love the 243 as well but for mainly coyotes the 250 gets the ticket every time for me.

In reference to barrel life everything I've ever read says that depends on blah blah blah. Truth is if you shoot competitions "rapid shots through a warm to hot barrel" your barrel will suffer a degradation in accuracy eventually. To that end the accuracy most competition shooter are looking at .2 mil accuracy is the difference between winning and loosing. I've shot the same barrel in my 243 since I was 12-13, only a handful of time have I fired the gun more than a few time in a short span, the gun shoots better now than when I first got it. Point being unless you are shooting at PD all day shot after shot you'll never "shoot out" a barrel. Before everyone starts going crazy about my comments here, I have yet to "shoot out" a barrel in anything I own, from .22lr to 7rem mag. My round counts vary from yr to yr and calibers but probably in the neighborhood of 800rd per yr per gun, **** I really should reload looking at this now...
As far as not blowing the hides up bad that is going to be bullet selection. If there's a super bullet out there that'll drop them where they stand with minimal pelt damage every time I have yet to see it. I've had great luch with 75gr hp in my 243 not blowing up too bad in most cases. If you hit the spine or shoulder every now and then one will blow out badly but for the most part they've been fine. I've not tested the 58gr vmax enough to get the results I'm happy to comment on. I've seen big holes from 22-250 too just depends on the animal, and the shot placement.
As far as deer 243win is hard to beat, they hold a special place for me and always will. There's a thread with dozens of comments on a 243 on this site, check them out too. Either caliber is great for your intended uses, just remember shot placement is the key. You can't go wrong with either of them.
Good luck and happy hunting

If your looking to save fur and have a good long range gun then have you considered a 6.5mm cal or are you trying to stay around the 24 cal? I use a 6.5 Creedmoor and its a great coyote rifle.

I have a Savage with a 8 twist 22-250 barrel. I shoot the heavy 80g Amax's to 3200 FPS (hand loads). I've run them all the way to 1K yards with sub MOA accuracy. Awesome in the wind too. Granted you won't get an 8 twist in a factory rifle so you'll have to replace the barrel. The stock Savage LVP is a 12 twist I belive. They are great for shooting the 55's. I also load the 50g Vmax and they run 3900 in my rifle. (26" barrel). Overall it's a killer rifle that will take everything from ground hogs all the way to whitetail at any distance. If your limited to factory ammo and a factory rifle then I would probably go 243. You can get good factory rounds with both light and heavy bullets for each application. In 22-250 you'll be limited to light weight bullets which will really hurt you in the wind past 300 yards, no matter how fast.

If you hand load then you can make the 22-250 do whatever the 243 does and some things better. You just need to get the fast twist barrel. If you go Savage it's easy. Buy an LRP or any other rifle with a .473 bolt face (.308 parent) and swap the barrels. It's simple to do. A smith will do it for cheap or you can do it yourself. My barrel is a McGowen which ran me $300 but it's a shooter. Don't worry about barrel life shooting the heavies at slower speeds. It's the 4000 fps rounds that erode chamber throats. Here is mine.

image_zpsfcd00c2f.jpg

Atrain you can get a savage model 12 VLP in a 22-250 1&9 twist factory barrel just to give ya a heads up.

Not sure what your budget is but the Ruger American rifles are hard to beat. I bought mine in AK and paid about $330 for it, you'll have to check the website but I believe they come in 22-250,243,308,270,30-06. With a little time the trigger on mine is breaking around 2lb and is a tack driver with the right loads, mine love and I mean loves 58gr v-max loaded hot, the horandy superformance and now the winchesters loaded with their ballistic tips. Since they're new rifles and on the cheap side I haven't seen any aftermarket accessories yet, but their light handy rifles and with a redfield revolution scope on top you'll have an all american made rifle that'll shoot pretty darn good for under or around $600 that'll be hard to beat. Don't get me wrong it's a $300 rifle it's not fancy by any means but, they shoot good and they're not too hard on the eyes.
Good luck and happy hunting.

Thanks for the info guys I think I might stay with the .243. Who knows though I change my mind every time the wind blows. Probably won't buy until spring who knows what I will think by then.:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.