22 cal hammer bullet

My experience having shot several smaller Fallow deer with 60 grain HH from a 223 is that they are not designed to be gentle, At the least there will be an entry and exit of about an inch and some petal cuts (if you only strike flesh). If it hits bone expect devastation.

Side note, I bought some Hammers for my Howa Light weight .204 as well. Think it'd be a lope and yote slayer for the grandkiddo's. My grandson thought the Hammer sticker was bad *** so he put it on his water bottle
IMR 8208 XMR is a good place to start with your 204 with the 31HH.

Ask Steve.....I believe he'll still turn you out a "fur friendly" bullet by putting a smaller hollow point in them. I talked to him about it but haven't actually ordered any yet. I did have decent luck with a 85 grain Barnes in 243 as a do all load, exit on a rib shot was about the size of a nickel though.

Ask Steve.....I believe he'll still turn you out a "fur friendly" bullet by putting a smaller hollow point in them. I talked to him about it but haven't actually ordered any yet. I did have decent luck with a 85 grain Barnes in 243 as a do all load, exit on a rib shot was about the size of a nickel though.
We have done what we call a Fur Hammer with a shallow hollow point so the bullet doesn't shed as much weight. Better on hides but less dramatic in the kill. Trophy Game Safari uses them for the tiny 10.

@pickens72 has killed more stuff with 22 cal than anyone I know. He can chime in with his thoughts.

Also I have sent a bunch of bullets to guys in the UK with no HP, and they really like them. Just a little counter sink in the meplat.

Are they acting like an FMJ?

@pickens72 has killed more stuff with 22 cal than anyone I know. He can chime in with his thoughts.

Also I have sent a bunch of bullets to guys in the UK with no HP, and they really like them. Just a little counter sink in the meplat.

Steve what calibers have you done the Fur Hammer with? Any plans to do some fur this winter?

Anyone running hammers in a 22 cal for coyotes. I've got a tikka 22-250 8" twist and trying to decide what bullet I want to run and not destroy hides. What size exits are you seeing?
Ur gona see 1/2 dollar size exits, with the 64-73 ah. Which is idea for ur twist. The 44s wont leave as big of hole but its still pretty good size. They r design to kill and not fur friendly at all!

Attachments

• 66062823-13D2-4134-BAB0-7656CFCD998E.jpeg
    66062823-13D2-4134-BAB0-7656CFCD998E.jpeg
    335.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 79BDBD29-6301-4FE6-AA36-E81E8B8E47AE.jpeg
    79BDBD29-6301-4FE6-AA36-E81E8B8E47AE.jpeg
    282.3 KB · Views: 81
Steve what calibers have you done the Fur Hammer with? Any plans to do some fur this winter?
We can do this with any of the bullets. It is just a matter of not drilling the hollow point or drilling a shallow hollow point. If you want Fur Hammers with a shallow hollow point you can place an order for Hammer Hunters or Absolutes and make a note on the checkout page requesting Fur Hammer.

This is an interesting read to me . For me I would have to take some of my choice in bullet weights and just start playing with the powder to get a good speed for them to act the way I wanted then to on the intended prey the way I did with other bullets that I use for coyote , fox and bobcats . Finding a MV that doesn't do the damage to the majority of animals by using them say on ground hogs or prairie dogs . I used jack rabbits years back to find a good load then I tried them on coyote in the non fur season to refine my load . So many people think that because their rifle and bullets will shoot 4000 fps mv that's where they want to load to where for me I have often found that a lower velocity works better for my intended use but then here again this is just my thoughts your findings may well be quite different then mine and just one of the reasons that we load our own rounds .