22 250 vs 243 advice.

For long shots with less wind drift at distance take a look at the 204. If you run them through the ballistic calcualtor you will be amazed at how much less wind drift a 204 produces versus the 22-250 until you get to +85 grain bullets in the 22-250. I would also consider the 223 with a 1/8 twist and 70-80 grain bullets. Another good one to run through the ballistic calcualtor. Higher B.C. and shorter time of flight are the two biggest things that will reduce drift. As far as I am concerned, the 243 is massive overkill for foxing and the short barrel life is a big draw back too. If you want to use a 6 look at the Grendel, CZ chambers these in the 527, or Creedmore, rather than the 243. Low recoil for spotting hits, easy to suppress, good B.C. for bucking the wind.

Last edited:
Everybody has an opinion on what works best. My 2 cents is there nothing is better than my Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in 223 WSSM. I roll my own with Winchester 64 grain Power Points on top of Varget. Makes short work of large Coyotes. While being from the New England states the 400 yd shot never happens, but I have shot this gun at 300 yds and my group will measure 1-1/2" with a light breeze and letting the barrel cool between shots.

I have a 22-250 in 1:14 twist. Tack driver accuracy. As reported above, it is at it's best with 40gr bullets but it launches them at 4000fps which is considerably faster than the 222 or 223. I can shoot 50-55 gr but not with that excellent accuracy. I have used 243 1:10 twist on coyotes with 58gr Vmax bullets. It gives velocity that rivals the 22-250. The advantage of the 243 is you can load up to 90 gr and use it for larger game or with 75gr varmit bullets on windy days. 243 does have modest recoil, especially with heavier bullets. The 22-250 has a lot of velocity which helps in wind and also makes 40 gr bullets effective at longer ranges than 222 or 223 are capable of, and it has almost no felt recoil.

Everybody has an opinion on what works best. My 2 cents is there nothing is better than my Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in 223 WSSM. I roll my own with Winchester 64 grain Power Points on top of Varget. Makes short work of large Coyotes. While being from the New England states the 400 yd shot never happens, but I have shot this gun at 300 yds and my group will measure 1-1/2" with a light breeze and letting the barrel cool between shots.

I have used that bullet a lot on the 22-250, and it stabilizes just fine in the 14" twist barrel of my old Sako rifle. It probably goes faster out of your cartridge, but 22-250 velocities are plenty fast enough. It doesn't make big holes in small animals, so if our OP is using the hides from his foxes, he may like this bullet. I have shot more deer & coyotes with it than anything else, and it works phenomenally well for both. I second your recommendation.

Guys thanks for all the replies this is all very helpful. It's hard to reply to all the posts. There is alot of stuff to digest before making a decision. I don't like making a rush decision that's why I like try to find out as much information here as possible first that's why I ask the questions.
Just a bit of info on the foxes and ground we hunt it's mainly just getting them off the sheep farmlands around us so nothing is kept. The ground around us is mostly rolling hills in small fields anything from(1 acers to 10 in some) with hedge and stone ditches dividing them. Some land you can look across the fields others you can't see beyond the hedge or ditch if on level ground. That's why longer shots are harder out our way. Some of the valleys you could shot across fields to others side up to 500 yards. There is also alot of livestock in the fields so the 243 from what I am reading may just be to much punch because of nightshooting. I really don't need the risk of rounds following on through and possibly into the darkness.

I'm currently putting a 243 together with a 14 twist, #7 taper barrel to shoot Nosler 55 BT's. Should be able to hit 4000 fps and see hits pretty far out.

Hello guys as the heading above just looking some feedback. The purpose is for foxing.
Currently I am using a. 222 on foxes 40 grain. With the wind my problems seem to start. My maximum range will probably never go past 350-400yards on the land. Most of the foxes we hit are mainly between 100-200 but we spot the further. I am using a tikka varmint. 222 and it groups 1/2 @ 100 yards. I've tried it in the wind at targets and that's when my problems start beyond 100 looking at the groups they are not great. I mainly like the 222 because I can see the hits because of no recoil which helps. I also own a rem 700 in 308 for deer which is fine but its too much for foxing.
I've a few questions.
Which caliber should I go for I am looking at the 243 and 22 250. I have never fired either before. Do you believe these are a better choice for my needs?
1. Will I see the hits if I fit a surrpressor to either? Is there much muzzle flip?
2. How will these rounds perform in wind out as far as say 400 yards max on the ground we shot on?
3. I've read that both calibers can be sore on the barrel more so than my 222 and 308. What amount of shooting should be done before risk of overheating or damage?
4. Is there another heavier round I should look at for my 222 and would it make much difference against the wind?
5. Or is there another caliber I should maybe consider?
The rifle I was thinking of was a Sako laminated varmint if I do purchase. These questions are maybe basic but I am still only learning about all these calibers and any replys will be great help thanks.
I've owned several 22-250's I think in the neighborhood of 10-12 total. I have owned 2 243's as well. I still own a 22-250 it's my go to rifle. I no longer own a 243 but now own a 6 creedmoor. Both sweethearts. It seemed to me the 243 always had ferocious muzzle blast compared to 22-250's, but they also had a tad bit shorter barrels. Both great cartridges. Don't over look the .223 it fills the gap between the 222 and 22-250. I've fox, coyote and deer hunted with 22 hornet, 221 fireball, 222,223, 22-250 and 243. Determine if pest damage is a factor or are you leaving them for vultures. In my experience the 22-250 and 243 usually leave you a severed fox carcass and a pile of guts. Bullet selection will help in this area. Of the cartridges I listed I only still own the 22-250. With a suppressor you may see impact hits but I have no experience with them. Hope it helps I don't think you will go wrong with either cartridge.

Have you only used the 40gr bullets in your 222Rem? If so, maybe try a few 50-55gr NBT's, Sierras, Hornady etc in your 222. I have used several 222's over the decades, and with the 50-55NBT and Hornady's, I have hit countless P-Dogs from 100 to beyond 600yds in Western plains winds. Similar, numerous coyotes and marmots.

Next is the 223 Rem with either the same 55-60 NBT or similar, or go with an 8 or 9 twist for the 62-75gr varmint bullets. For several decades, I used a few 9 twist 223's out to and beyond 600 yards with 65-75gr bullets, and was very satisfied with the results on varmints up to coyotes.

Of course, the 22-250's, 22 CM, and 6mm's will work well, but with more powder, recoil, throat erosion, etc. YMMV

We have used 22-250 for years for Commercial culling and have used Sako, Tika and Remington over the years but now we have sold all of these and have gone for the Australian made Lithgow 102 in 22-250 and 243 and 308
If you can find one in USA you wont regret it and they come with an adjustable trigger threaded barrel for break or suppressor with either a synthetic ,walnut or laminated stock and a finish that cant be beat and all have to shoot well under a minute to pass - worth a look
For your shooting a 22-250 will do but a 243 will give you better control in the wind and as "Win xb "said use Sierra game king in the 243 and any 55 grain you like in the 22-250

If it were my choice, I'd go with something like the DTAC in 6 creedmoor if I was chasing performance or the 69gr tipped match king in 223 if I was more concerned about barrel life and economy.

Have you considered the 6BR? Based on your requirments, distance, wind bucking capability and low recoil I think this would be almost perfect and not so overbore that that you pull off target, reduced chance of dangerous through passes and great barrel life. You could simple rebarrel to .223 or stay with .222, with either get a fast twist barrel (1:8 or 7) and shoot the heavier bullets with much better ballistics and wind bucking capability. This is probably your most cost effective options since they are the same bolt face as you currently have. Criterion has some excellent prefit barrels (barrel nut design). If you call Solid Accuracy who is their exclusive dealer he can spin it up for you shouldered and has many more options for chamberings other than those listed on the Criterion website. I have a Tikka 30-06 that I am getting ready to have him convert to a 22 Creedmoor with a fact twist barrel for long range varmint hunting. I also have the Tikka Varmint in 204 Ruger and love that rifle. I do have the Tikka in .243 shooting the 87 gr VMAX, I think this is way more than you need, even suppressed pulls of target and just a lot for foxes (although it is a great shooting rifle). Best of luck to you!!!

Last edited:
Guys thanks for all the replies this is all very helpful. It's hard to reply to all the posts. There is alot of stuff to digest before making a decision. I don't like making a rush decision that's why I like try to find out as much information here as possible first that's why I ask the questions.
Just a bit of info on the foxes and ground we hunt it's mainly just getting them off the sheep farmlands around us so nothing is kept. The ground around us is mostly rolling hills in small fields anything from(1 acers to 10 in some) with hedge and stone ditches dividing them. Some land you can look across the fields others you can't see beyond the hedge or ditch if on level ground. That's why longer shots are harder out our way. Some of the valleys you could shot across fields to others side up to 500 yards. There is also alot of livestock in the fields so the 243 from what I am reading may just be to much punch because of nightshooting. I really don't need the risk of rounds following on through and possibly into the darkness.

If you are night shooting, or even during the day given the small fields and livestock, you want to make darn sure you don't get pass throughs or ricochets. That is where the 50 grain Hornady SPSX in 222 or 223 or the 55 SPSX in 22-2250 (the 50 grain is speed limited to 3.600 fps the 55 is made for the higher speeds of the 22-250 or 220 Swift) would really come into their own. They are much cheaper than Vmax, more frangible and show superb accuracy to 600 yards. They also shoot very well out of the standard or faster twist barrels in 222, 223 or 22-250. From all the extra info you have provided it would seem to me that the 204, 222 or 223 are probably nearly ideal for your use.

I have both and like them both. I shoot in a-lot of wind in western MN. I monitor predation on Walleye and Musky brood ponds. I have one pond that has a particular resting spot for these predators. There is only one spot I can shoot from to cover this spot and it is 330 to 340 yards with the width of the roost. It is generally a cross wind and can be pretty nasty 15 to 30MPH. I have a Weatherby Predator Master .243 with a 10 twist shooting 70 Grain Ballistic Tips set up for this spot. I watch all my hits and the whole rig sits at a touch under 9 pounds. The perfect blend of velocity and BC for that 250 to 350 yard window and with the B-Tips any type hit is pretty debilitating. My 250s have been more or less retired for everything but P-dogs. My short ponds are covered with the .223 with 50 Grain B-Tips and my real long stuff (400 to 600) I run a .260 with 130 Bergers. My targets are the size of a loaf of Wonder bread stood on end.

Interesting question. I have both, and I think each is great for its intended purpose. If you want a fur gun that works beyond 400 yards, you have a bit of an interesting situation. Personally, I'd probably go with a .223 AI. My buddy has one and he's shooting 80gr bullets way out past 600 yards with phenomenal accuracy. But, that's a custom build that comes with all the fire-forming needs of a wildcat.

The .22-250 is a fantastic round, but factory guns usually come 1:14 and are good only for small bullets. That's perfect, but it's pretty useless beyond 350-400 yards. The bullets slow down and the wind really takes them.

The .243 is great, but it will cut them in half at close range.

Going with a .22-250 with a 1:10 or even 1:8 barrel would give you plenty of options.

Finally, if you can get/use a silencer (suppressor), just do it. I can spot hits with my .300 Win. easily enough. With a .22-250, the critters might not even know you're shooting at them. If you miss or there's a group of them this can be an added benefit.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.