22-243 middlestead vs 22 cheetah vs ...

The .22-.243. No fire forming needed. Neck down .243 Win. brass and load. Check neck diameter of loaded rd. for proper clearance. Clearance OK? Fire it! Have the barrel Melonite/Blk. Nitride treated. The same is done with the 6mm Rem as the parent case. Then there's the .220 Swift in its Ackley Improved form. You reach a limit some where. It's "The Law of Diminishing Returns".

Last edited:
I believe the Cheetah Mk1 was the Remington 308 URBR brass with the small primer pocket. There were ignition problems at low temp. Jim Carmichael then went to the Cheetah Mk2 which used 243 brass with the large primer and cold weather ignition problems were no longer a problem. The 22-6mm Rem AI, also known as the Texas Trophy Hunter, is also an option. I would heed shortgrass' advise on barrel treatment.

.22-.243 Brass is readily available, necks down in one pass, doesn't need fire formed, dies are easy to aquire, a simple, simple wildcat. Any that you mention are at their best with heavy for caliber bullets. For any, I'd load some dummies with the brass I was going to use and verify neck diameter of the chosen reamer. The throat needs to be right, too. I've fixed several (.22-.243), here locally, that gave premature pressure by setting back 1/2 turn and setting head space with my reamer. Tight chambers are desireable until you can't get to desired velocity without excess pressure. Run any that you mention 'hard' with Hornaday/Winchester/Remington brass and primer pockets will be loose in 2-4 loadings.

I went with a 22-284. Drives a 80 gr Berger in the 3550 fps range and is very accurate.

North Idaho,

The .22 Creedmoor is about as simple and barrel conscience as you can get.

I started with the 22-243 AI then went with the 22-6mm Rem Improved and finally switched to the .22 Creedmoor. Dies are easy if you use the bushing style dies. 3500 to 3550 is easy with the 80 gr. AMAX and can be achieved without burning up a barrel. The case is a modern design.

I still shoot a version of the 22-6mm but it is a moderately improved case from the 6mm Crusader design. It uses the improved body while backing off to a 32 degree shoulder instead of the 40 degree used on the Ackley version. This is my cartridge of choice for the heavier 90 grain Match bullets from Berger and JLK.

Regards.

Interesting I like the 80gr amax and am looking for something to drive them faster than my 1:8 .223 I thought and was told they self destroy on the way to the target at about 3200. Hornady told me this.
Nobody is getting bullet blow up?

Don't throw out the 22-250 Imp! I have 2 of them, both shoot the 75gr awesome. One is at 3580fps and the other is at 3620fps. A lot less hassle than necking down some of the others mentioned and if you get in a bid just shot factory 22-250.

blacknzr1,

Two things contribute to being able to use the AMAX in conditions that Hornady states will end in a blown up bullet:

I use a 1:10 twist rate since the velocity achieved allows for this. That way the bullet isn't wound up quite so fast as the 1:8" twist rate. Smaller cartridges don't create enough velocity to stabilize this bullet in the slower twist so you need the faster twist rate. Hornady is trying to cover their behind with their disclaimer and I don't blame them.

I use Bartlein barrels which feature the 5R rifling configuration. There are other makers to choose from as well who use the same 5R but I have standardized on the Bartlein's for their consistency.

For Match or Competition barrels in .22 or 6mm though I have standardized on the 4-groove standard rifling instead of the 5R. I get a tad more consistent accuracy at the extended yardages over the 5R. I don't use the AMAX either, I'm using Berger or JLK in both calibers.

Regards.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.