22-243AI vs 22 CHeetah vs 22 something else

If you decide to build a Cheetah...I have a complete set of dies and maybe some brass depending on your shoulder angle. It was a favorite cartridge but hard on barrels. I got about 800 rounds out of a barrel but to 600 yards it was a laser.

Please forgive my lack of knowledge. I'm trying to figure out a future project, and want a screaming 22 for 75 or 80gr Amax's to do some vermin control. I understand that the CHeetah is based on the 308 benchrest case, so it uses a small primer. There is a local guy that had a Cheetah who used 243 brass for his to use the large primer pocket. They both have a 40 degree sholulder. This left me confused so:
1. Is there any real difference other than the original parent case?
2. Is one more popular than the other?
3. Any better 22 caliber for specified use that uses equally available parts, and is easy to form. If it makes any difference, I have ZERO interest in a tight neck with the need to turn the cases.

Your help is greatly appreciated. wk
I have a 22-250AI. 8 twist barrel, 30". It's runs 80s at 3500+. Thats screaming. If I had to do it over, I'd do a 22 Creedmoor. Simply because I wouldn't have to fireform brass. I have a lot now and would spin up another ackley barrel because of that but if I never fireformed 22-250 brass, I'd have the 22 CM. Same performance basically minus forming.

My 22-243AI rig with 80 gr Amax @ 3558 fps and my 20-250AI w/ berger 55's @ 3770 were only built for ONE reason.... for coyote killing ranges past 400 yds... inside that range..they are not needed.... but I was bent on getting those longer range shots with the BEST wind fighting and drop fighting setup possible, because you never know at what range a coyote will appear and I wanted the BEST ERROR FREE-Forgiving round possible. Of course you can always call them in closer, but one coyote shot way out there has a better taste than 3 shot in close range.

My 22-243AI is also a HAMMER ON DEER... killed over a dozen so far and they all DRT.

It will be the last caliber to leave my gun cabinet.

Anybody know of anyone that ever reached 5000fps with any smokeless powder cartridge?
I'm not sure it's theoretically possible. I believe I've read in the past that the gases exiting the muzzle don't exit at a velocity sufficient to push any bullet to 5000fps.

Attached info.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201223-103857.png
    Screenshot_20201223-103857.png
    469.6 KB · Views: 110
Anybody know of anyone that ever reached 5000fps with any smokeless powder cartridge?
I'm not sure it's theoretically possible. I believe I've read in the past that the gases exiting the muzzle don't exit at a velocity sufficient to push any bullet to 5000fps.
The boys at accurate reloading have shot the Berger 30gr HP at 5,278 ft/sec. That's about the fastest handload I'm aware of.

I have both a 22-243AI and a Middlestead and both are equal, but for some reason when I start to turn up the heat the Middlestead will take more powder before showing signs of pressure.

Dean

I have talked to several people online that have said they have reached 5,000-5,200. the fastest I have been able to reach is 4,500. I plan on putting a 30" tube on my next one so that I can harness the energy just a little longer.

Attachments

• 5,000 fps.png
    5,000 fps.png
    438 KB · Views: 77
I have a 22 middlestead and run 75gr vld... **** lethal on deer... Another suggestion could be a 22 creedmoor....
the 22 creed is a Fine cartrage from what I have been told. It just wont reach the speeds I'm looking for. I' not looking for a hunting rifle or target rifle. I'm just experimenting for speed. it will be a completely consumable rifle for fun.

I have at least 8 rifles that will exceed 5000 FPS and another 6 that are well over, I MEAN WELL OVER 4500 FPS knocking on 5000 door, so yes it is possible and happen's on a regular basis. I must have 30 different calibers and I don't have anything that shoots less than 4000 FPS. Even my 223 are over 4000 FPS, apart from my 308s and 30-06 and they are in the high 3000 FPS
IE: 22-243AI, 22X55Sweede, 22-06AI, 220SwiftAI, 22-243Middlestead, 6WSM, 6MachIV, 6RUM

Dean

Last edited:
I have a Smith down the street that swears hid 22-06AI will reach over 5,200. only problem with that is that my experiment action is a short action.
Sure would like to see that accomplishment. My 22-250AI will reach 4350 with 40s. The .243 case improved holds more powder but not enough to add almost 1000 fps. 200-250 maybe. Even with 30s, I'd say that's a heck of a reach. Still, I won't say he can't do it but I'd love to see that accomplished. Especially with a .243 improved case. You'd be further ahead with the .284 parent case and better with a SAUM case.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts